+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Denon DP-3000

I'm InSpace.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Pic please.
    How the bloody hell am I supposed to do that when I can't get anywhere near the damn thing?

Shian7
    --------------------------------------------------------

Kudakutemo
    kudakutemo

ari mizu-no tsuki

Though it be be broken -
    broken again - still it's there:
    the moon on the water.

- Choshu.

I'm InSpace.

Ah!... here ya go:

By shian7, shot with u30D,S410D,u410D at 2008-08-01
    Shian7

Kudakutemo
    kudakutemo

ari mizu-no tsuki

Though it be be broken -
    the moon on the water.

- Choshu.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

The first thing that strikes me is the double weight on the bias string. Is that how it originally was or have you added an extra weight? Mine only had one bias weight.

The other thing is I seem to remember in the manual that it said to set up the spindle holding the bias weight so that it was parallel to the arm tube, but in your circumstances doing that will probably result in the weights fouling on the plinth.

The bias string should also be tight without sagging.

Is there any way you can rearrange things so that you can get the spindle holding the bias weight parallel to the arm?

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm InSpace.

Marco,

The bias adjuster came with two weights, so I've left it 'as-is' for now.

I agree with what you say about the thread from the outrigger to the wheel thingy being horizontal, and yes it will foul at the moment. But until I receive the SME/Hadcock adaptor plate I don't know exactly where the base of the arm is going to sit. I may need to fabricate some sort of riser.

I still have my 'cone flap' problem which seems to be reduced somewhat, but there is still clearly a LF resonance issue. I hope all this can be fine tuned out but it seems slightly pointless at least until I get all the 'permanent' bits to hand. Keep the pointers coming though, much appreciated matey. If needs be, I can always turn it back into a 228 or splash out on a new (official) armtube.

It's all looking very promising after a few miles on the clock, it's running in nicely and I'm already thinking it just might be worth a 'Slatedeck'!

Cheers...
    Shian7

Kudakutemo
    kudakutemo

ari mizu-no tsuki

Though it be be broken -
    the moon on the water.

- Choshu.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Nice one, Mike. No worries, matey, that's what we're here for

When you get a chance I'd re-balance the AT with just the main C/W and see what that does. Otherwise you're quite right, there are lots of things running in and the set-up is far from optimised. I'm confident that this story will have a happy ending

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm InSpace.

I'm already pretty happy TBH.

I just love the sort of retro-futuristic styling of the thing, it puts a grin on my face every-time I use it!

There's a slight fly-in-the-ointment though... There could be a speed stability problem. It seems that the little magnetic reader thing (the bit that looks like a cassette tape head) needs to be positioned 'just so' otherwise the speed randomly goes off on one. Only on 33 though, 45 is rock steady.

Actually, (don't try this at home kids) if you deliberately maladjust it, it's hilarious!... It wizzes up to an amazing speed. God knows what would happen if you tried it while playing a record, I expect the room would be full of vinyl swarf!

Shian7

Kudakutemo
    kudakutemo

ari mizu-no tsuki

Though it be be broken -
    the moon on the water.

- Choshu.

I'm Nick.

Actually, (don't try this at home kids) if you deliberately maladjust it, it's hilarious!... It wizzes up to an amazing speed. God knows what would happen if you tried it while playing a record, I expect the room would be full of vinyl swarf!
    Its fun when they do this, the first time it happened was when I was debugging a problem with my sp10, and it just lost it, and played the "lets go fast" game. thats when I realised just how different these things are from a little motor, a elastic band and a flywheel. If you get them rearly coinfused they can try and go backwards,

Note: this is the result of delving inside them with logic and scope probes, they are normally well behaved.

I'm InSpace.

Humf... Typical!

The day after bodging the arm on, the adaptor plate arrives.

Oh well, at least I can try and get it mounted properly now. As I suspected it's just a flat plate that goes over the SME mounting with the correct size slot to fit the Haddy, so some form of riser is going to be needed.
    This is a bit of a worry as it means venturing into very dangerous territory. Most people would call it "The Garage"!
    Shian7

Kudakutemo
    kudakutemo

ari mizu-no tsuki

Though it be be broken -
    the moon on the water.

- Choshu.

I'm Nick.

so some form of riser is going to be needed
    The height from the base should be adjustable.

I'm InSpace.

Quote Originally Posted by lurcher View Post
    The height from the base should be adjustable.
    Indeed it is!... And now that you mention it, removing the silly MDF 'washers' that are fitted (top and bottom) may well give me sufficient range to adjust it.

Top tip, cheers!
    Shian7

Kudakutemo
    kudakutemo

ari mizu-no tsuki

Though it be be broken -
    the moon on the water.

- Choshu.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast