+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Home Theatre?

I'm Mike.

I think you're looking at this from the wrong angle Marco, just because at the moment there isn't more discussion about theatre systems 5.1, 7.1 etc is more to do with the fact that there isn't any place to do it, look at it this way, before Sony invented the walkman people didn't see the need to be able to listen to music wherever they were, however nowadays most people have some sort of portable device.

I think a new section would be much the same and would ecourage more people to join and participate, for me a place to talk about getting the best out of my system would be great, as well as help and advice on improvements and upgrades specific to 5.1 or greater.

All i can say is give it a go, you can always bin it if it doesn't catch on, the die hard AOS members will still post regardless, but it may encourage more people to join and perhaps get people who seldom post, to be more involved.

As the late Colonel Sanders once said
    "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken!!"

Location: North Cambs UK, Earth, Sol, Orion - Cygnus arm of galaxy

I'm MadeOfDeadGiantStarsThatExplodedEonsAgo.

While i'm on the subject i might as well mention this

I have been to the cinema a grand total of one time ever since i bought my first projector 6+ years ago

Who wants to subject themselves to queues & £5 minimum entry fees, noisy kids/people when watching whatever, people in the way up front & blocking the screen going to the toilet

I just wait for it to come to me No idiots in the way, i can pause it if i need the loo & i can have a ciggie when i want etc... Stuff the cinema, i'm in bloomin heaven I have had enough comments about the picture here being better than at the cinema from enough people

Don't even mention the sound quality
    Bests, Mark

"We must believe in free will. We have no choice" Isaac Bashevis Singer

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

I'm hearing ya, Mike (and Mark)....

Ok, so what if we made one of you guys the moderator for that section of the forum, and were thus responsible for nurturing and developing it?

It would involve starting and maintaining interesting/thought-provoking threads liable to pique the interest of those interested in AV, and monitoring them accordingly so that they remain polite and constructive.

I would give whoever it was total control to do what they wanted within the boundaries of our ethos. It would be a way of giving you guys an input in how the forum is shaped in the future. I'm all for rewarding our regular contributors!

Have a think about the idea and who should be given the relevant moderator position

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Marco, cheers chap but i have a feeling there already might be mods out there that are already doing the 5.1 & AV trick If not i must be mistaken..

I have been a mod on a few forums as i have mentioned in the past, AoS appears vastly easier from what i have seen though i can't see behind the scenes at the mods room It's always an eye opener

Now while i applaud the thought of possibly getting something underway i'd suggest you think about a couple of mods to run the section (if you do it) & i'm not thinking of me either in the equation. I'd suggest you need differences of opinion to make it interesting & relevant.

A single person might not be subjective or even objective You'll just get one overall input = not good...

If it was me i'd invite members who feel like they could contribute to add themselves to some kind of list & then get the whole forum to vote on who they'd like as a couple of mods dealing with it

Just me living in an un-ideal world

E2A:- i'd put myself in for a vote if it came down to it & let the forum decide I wouldn't trust myself to be impartial to what i already know though so at least one other mod would imo be needed at least
    Last edited by Reid Malenfant; 01-01-2011 at 17:34.
    Bests, Mark

I'm Mike.

I'm in the same mind as Mark, in the sence that an A/V section to the forum would be great, and having a dedicated Mod or Mod's would keep it chugging along. Like Mark I also think that there are probably Mods aready that could do an A/V section justice, and i would suggest that you put it to the Moderator staff 1st to see if any of them want to take on the extra load.

If it came down to it, and I was asked to do a job, then of course I would, however I don't profess to be some great sage when it comes to the finer points of A/V and think that if one of the current Mods didn't want to do it, then a vote my be the best way forward.

I'm Martin.

Thanks for the response on this Marco and for backing me up Mike and Mark

I'm not any kind of expert on the subject either, my main attention is always on my 2 channel set up but it is fun to have decent sound on the TV especialy for films but also for watching music related programs - I watched Hendrix at the Isle of Wight at my mum's house the other week (on Sky Arts) - sound coming through the TV speakers.

The other night it was on again but this time I was at home so could run it (2 channel) through the home cinema - what a difference!

We seem to have 3 types of people on here when it comes to A/V:

1. Don't have a telly, don't watch any telly, proud of it.
    2. Run the telly through the hi-fi system
    3. Have a dedicated stereo system and a totally seperate Home Theatre system

Obviously there is no helping type 1 but type 2 & 3 I am guessing would both contribute and benefit.

On top of that a dedicated A/V section would bring in (via Google searches etc) a lot of potential new members to the site who might otherwise never find it. A lot of these people would be in type 2) and so would also be interested in the stereo-hi-fi side of things.

I was looking at the Zerogain forum the other day and noticed a new member had posted a question about multi-channel set up. He got no response so posted again asking WTF? and a mod came on and advised him to go elsewhere for answers (not in an unkind way, but still a poor show IMHO).

As for requiring a moderator(s) well I hadn't really thought about that necessity, I am not a member of any other internet forum (hi-fi or otherwise) and I find messing about with computers both boring and frustrating in equal measure. I suppose having posed the original request I really should volunteer but in the immortal words of Nigel Tufnel - ' I dunno. What are the hours?'
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post

The other night it was on again but this time I was at home so could run it (2 channel) through the home cinema - what a difference!
    Mate you should try it on a full 5.1 or greater, nowadays i play all my music however it's coded in multi chanel using the SRS circle sound 2 setting on my amp, it gives the music drama and a much bigger soundstage, it turnes my humble 16 foot x 12 foot lounge into something that sounds much larger, sound seems to come outside the boundries of my 4 walls.

I hope i'm not going to be hunted down and flogged for saying that

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Hi Martin,

Thanks for your thoughts

The team are currently in discussion regarding the matter and we will announce our decision shortly. It certainly looks likely that there will be a new AV-only room.

However, we're currently thrashing out ideas as to how best this would be implemented, and what the room should be called in accordance with the 'arty' theme we have running throughout the site.

We'll make an announcement on the matter in the next couple of days

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Hi Martin,

Thanks for your thoughts

The team are currently in discussion regarding the matter and we will announce our decision shortly. It certainly looks likely that there will be a new AV-only room.

However, we're currently thrashing out ideas as to how best this would be implemented, and what the room should be called in accordance with the 'arty' theme we have running throughout the site.

We'll make an announcement on the matter in the next couple of days

Marco.
    Okay! - cheers Marco
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    How about "the living picture"... Pictures are art after all.

Just a thought
    Bests, Mark

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast