+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best Interconnects advice needed .. !!

Location: Swaledale, North Yorkshire + The Valley of Longevity

I'm Toooldnowtogrowup.

Default Best Interconnects advice needed .. !!

Gents ... I am upgrading my own system which is SME turntable with hi end pre and Radford STA25 power .. will be running with an Oppo SE93 modified universal player when it is available for CD replay and movie watching. The world of interconnects is a very misty area for me and I do not understand if some components need digital interconnects .. or analogue interconnects .. what is the difference here. What would you recommend ... for phono, CD, DAC and Oppo connections here ... and Scart lads for the TV ?? I do not want to go mad here so will set a price of around 100 punds max for any item 1mt interconnect leads.

Speaker leads also ... ?

Also I am putting together a budget system for my son so would like to know ideas for the absolute best bang for the buck down in the starter system range. He will run vinyl and CD and Computer music

Your thoughts will be much appreciated ..

Cheers
    Brian
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Smile, breathe and go slowly ..........................

I'm Gary.

Easy..
    Mark Grant HD1000 £75

fit n' forget.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

Location: North Cambs UK, Earth, Sol, Orion - Cygnus arm of galaxy

I'm MadeOfDeadGiantStarsThatExplodedEonsAgo.

With a Digital phono interconnect the cable needs to have a 75ohm specific impedance for maximum performance A balanced digital interconnect needs to be 110ohm impedance.

Audio cables are run at audio & not radio frequencies so specific impedance doesn't make any difference & the consequence of this is you get all sorts of weird & wonderful designs, some good, other not so hot

With the Oppo you'll need a 75ohm screened cable from the digital output to your DAC for stereo music listening. If you are watching a movie you'll need to use the 5.1 (or 6.1/7.1) analogue outputs from the Oppo (if fitted) to enable you to use surround sound speakers. If you aren't doing this you probably need to set the Oppo to mix all the channels down to stereo & use the two channel analogue outputs into your amplifier. I doubt that the digital output would be functional & if it was it's doubtful that the DAC could decode it
    Bests, Mark

"We must believe in free will. We have no choice" Isaac Bashevis Singer

I'm Will.

Oh dear this is going to be a real carve up...

A couple of things that won't be hotly disputed;

1. Use the shortest possible cables
    2. Spread the budget evenly, the weakest link in the chain and all that.

Now for a few that will be;

1. Neet HDMI cables are a ridiculously cheap budget option, available from Amazon.
    2. QED Original Mk2 copper is a reasonable speaker cable for the price.
    3. The Chord Chameleon analogue (RCA) interconnect is very nice and I think it's under a ton, but takes some breaking in!

...time to run!!!
    Last edited by WAD62; 22-12-2010 at 17:01.
    Cheers, Will

I'm drunk.

Black Mamba speaker cables are a bargain at around 60 quid.

Providing you have suitably robust binding posts on your amp.

I'm John.

Oh well, may as well.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Belkin-Pure-...9&sr=8-2-fkmr0

The only shop bought RCA interconnects I own apart from the above are a set of Chord Company Crimson Plus and I bought those second hand.
    The Belden’s above are just as good.

Fit and forget and save yourself £50
    Single spur balanced Mains. Self built music server with 3 seperate linear PSU, Intel i5, 16 GB RAM no hard drive (various Linux OS). Benchmark Dac2 HGC, single ended XLR interconnects/Belkin cable. Exposure 21RC Pre, Super 18 Power (recap & modified). Modded World Audio HD83 HP amp. Hand built Monitors with external crossovers , Volt 250 bass & ABR, Scanspeak 13M8621 Mid & Scanspeak D2905/9300 Hi. HD595 & Beyer 880 (600 ohm) cans.

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.
    -Bertrand Russel

John.

I'm Nobody.

Quote Originally Posted by Welder View Post

The only shop bought RCA interconnects I own apart from the above are a set of Chord Company Crimson Plus and I bought those second hand.

Fit and forget and save yourself £50
    +1, great cables very flexable aswell

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Yep +2.

Location: Swaledale, North Yorkshire + The Valley of Longevity

I'm Toooldnowtogrowup.

Do you mean the Amazon ones or the Chord ... ,,,, and .... anybody heard of these ... http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/0-75M-Gotham-G...item588247465a

Some brave recommendations coming here thanks .. ... looks like I am going to save myself some money and amazon know my front door VERY well already this xmas .. ..
    Brian
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Smile, breathe and go slowly ..........................

I'm drunk.

I would recommend the Belkin ones over the ebay ones, which just look like a cheap generic cable.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast