+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moved a speaker less than 1 meter ...

I'm David.

Default Moved a speaker less than 1 meter ...

... And it killed the hifi
    Had a change around recently to get the tv between the hifi

Look at these photos and imagine the speaker and hifi tack swap position so the speaker is next to the wall...

Well that's how I had it and the hifi sounded appalling ... Seriously seriously all to cock... Sound stage all flat and shitty and sat back... Bass and treble had a big gap were the mids used to be ...

Moved it back to how it is in the photo... Magic, hifi sounds bloody noggin bogglinly good again ...

What a difference a meter makes ...
    CS Port TAT2 - Benz LPS - Funkfirm Houdini - DS Audio Vinyl Ionizer - CS Port C3EQ - Kondo G70 - Kondo Gakuoh II - Maxonic TW1100 MKII - Isol-8 SubStation Integra

Location: North Cambs UK, Earth, Sol, Orion - Cygnus arm of galaxy

I'm MadeOfDeadGiantStarsThatExplodedEonsAgo.

Carlsberg?

A meter you say Try a few cm as these can make it or break it from what i have found

Nice pic Hamish
    Bests, Mark

"We must believe in free will. We have no choice" Isaac Bashevis Singer

I'm Neil.

Yes and sometimes a few Cms is all it takes to mess it up.

It depends on the design of the speaker as to how sensitive it will be but all speakers benefit from tight set up i.e spirit level, tape measure and care taken to get all measurements as close to the same as you can.

Floor to top of cabinet, side wall front and back and back wall left and right and the top level as well. All spikes nice and tight and totally stable no rocking in the speaker/stand at all. Its also ideal if the distance from the front of the speaker is the same to the wall behind you or as close to it as you can. My Gallo's are set up that way and it shows when they are even slightly off.

Regards D S D L
    Regards Neil

I'm David.

That what I call a "I can't be arsed to get my fat arse off the sofa and take a real photo photo"

Yeah, funnily enough in thier current position I can move them quite a bit - at lease a few inches in either direction and have them toed in to quite a varying degree without any major effect on the sound ... But put the left one nearer the wall and it's a bloody disaster
    CS Port TAT2 - Benz LPS - Funkfirm Houdini - DS Audio Vinyl Ionizer - CS Port C3EQ - Kondo G70 - Kondo Gakuoh II - Maxonic TW1100 MKII - Isol-8 SubStation Integra

I'm colin.

A few forum members told me take my rack out of between the speakers and that made a big difference with stereo seperation.

I'm Deleted.

A metre is a bloody huge ammount with regard to speaker positioning!
    Account Deleted

I'm David.

So it would seem!
    It's the extent it's made a difference that has surprised me ...
    Just gotta wait to see Hannahs reaction when she come home tomorrow!

I'm Imjustsurviving.

Hamish do you find that the empty bog rolls help portray the true image of the recording when placed under your turntable as supports thus giving it realism
    Jon

A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new.

Set up
    Lafayette el84 power amp , Audio note M1 pre , Tannoy Sterlings, Garrard 301 , SME 3012 , puresound P10, Ortofon SPU, Cambridge CXN streamer
    Micro mega Duo 3 cd transport ,

I'm ChrisB.

Any progress on the speaker stands Hamish, mate?

I'm Martin.

Hi Hamish

If it was me I would consider upgrading the lager to Wife Beater or something similarly premium in nature. I know Carlsberg was endorsed by Terry McCann but that was the 'eighties and things have moved on.

You might also want to consider the step up from Cutters Choice to Golden Virginia - smoother and creamier - although I accept it may not be to everyone's taste. And lose the filters! They remove way too much detail/tar
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast