+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Touch

I'm Will.

Quote Originally Posted by Mothman View Post
    I'm also dithering between a Touch or Sonos ZP90. My WIFi router is in a different room from my pc, I understand that with the Sonos if I want to stream music then I need to buy a Bridge (BR100) to overcome this problem, but what about the Touch, do Logitech do something similar?

I don't have an external DAC at the moment so was wondering which has the better inbuilt DAC, also I have read that the Touch has problems when connected directly to a HDD, anyone any experience on this?
    Hi Rich,

I actually started a thread on this sort of subject as I have a mate who wants to play file based music but he isn't too IT savvy (not suggesting you're not by the way), and the touch with an HD plugged in looked like a nice simple starting place.

The thread was 'help me save my mates from the evil world of brennan...' bit of a stupid title I'm afraid, must have been down the pub beforehand
    But there is some info there, I know there are some limitations when you use the Touch as both server and player, I think there was a link to the 'slimdevices forum' on that very subject...playlists are limited to 100 tracks for example. So it all depends how you want to use it.

I'm running a QNAP TS-119 1.2Ghz Turbo NAS as my server (7.3.3 more efficient on a linux platform than 7.5 which the touch runs), plugged directly into my Sky router, and have 2 receivers, and one classic throughout the house. Which is very nice for me, but a bit to stomach initially.

For the price of the Sonos you could add an additional DAC to the Touch, and a really nice amp, and Sonos does not support Audiophile ReplayGain.

I think the Sonos is just a wireless enabled Sony music centre, but then again I may be biased.

If you wanted to do it cheaply, you could use an old second hand laptop as your server plugged into the router, it doesn't need to be very powerful.
    Cheers, Will

I'm Will.

Quote Originally Posted by Stratmangler View Post
    The Touch is already WiFi capable - it'll run quite happily on your network.
    You'll need to install Squeezbox Server on the machine with the library.

Or you could just connect up a USB HDD, preferably powered seperately, with your music on, and use the inbuilt TinySC client built into the Touch.
    I believe the stuttering issues are non existant with CD spec files.
    Ali Tait says his stuttering issues are next to non existant, and he does play a fair bit of 24/96 stuff.

The benefit of running SBS from a seperate serving machine is that the heavy processing elsewhere makes the job easier for the Touch to cope with.
    There is also a facility to downsample on the fly (ie. 24/192 files down to 24/96) as the players will only cope with 24/96.
    This downsampling does not work on the Touch/HDD standalone setup as it's far too processor intensive.

I think the Touch on its own sounds bloody good.
    A better DAC later on would be the icing on the cake, but I don't think you'll find the Touch wanting initially.
    Cheers Chris, I think in that case my mate could easily live with the 'limitations' of the Touch as both Client & Server, and the DAC will be far too good for his ears anyway...

It's probably only idiots like me who want to create their own random play 'radio station' in 4 rooms simultaneously

Is now a bad time to discuss Argentinian football players?
    Cheers, Will

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

Quote Originally Posted by WAD62 View Post
    Is now a bad time to discuss Argentinian football players?
    My thought on wantaway players is let 'em go.
    There is no one player out there can do it without the rest of the team.
    I'm more unhappy with the potential unsettling effect this can have on the rest of the squad.

I'm sure Mr. Tevez does not fancy buying himself out of contract, in which case he should find that three and a half years is a long time to spend running out with the reserves.
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

I'm Will.

Quote Originally Posted by Stratmangler View Post
    My thought on wantaway players is let 'em go.
    There is no one player out there can do it without the rest of the team.
    I'm more unhappy with the potential unsettling effect this can have on the rest of the squad.

I'm sure Mr. Tevez does not fancy buying himself out of contract, in which case he should find that three and a half years is a long time to spend running out with the reserves.
    I'd love to see the owners call his bluff, and that brat Ballotelli might be starting up front too...a couple of matches away to Accrington Stanley might be what they need.

I'd better not hijack the thread, sorry no more football, especially after Carlisle's abismal effort at the weekend...well it was against both Dagenham & Redbridge
    Cheers, Will

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

Quote Originally Posted by WAD62 View Post
    I'd love to see the owners call his bluff, and that brat Ballotelli might be starting up front too...a couple of matches away to Accrington Stanley might be what they need.

I'd better not hijack the thread, sorry no more football, especially after Carlisle's abismal effort at the weekend...well it was against both Dagenham & Redbridge
    I've decamped to the appropriate cupboard
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234