+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Turntable Recommendations?

I'm Nick.

About ten-quid too much, but TBH I'd have been more bummed about letting it get away for the price of a day's car-park ticket The fun starts here. I'm pretty fired up about putting a plinth together. Not sure about tonearm right now, I'll try the one from the Pro-Ject as a start and keep an eye out for something more classy - the Linn comes well recommended...

Oh, and the same seller sold that Sugden Tuner we were watching a few weeks ago for £28+ postage a few minutes after the TT completed.

Cheers!
    Nick
    My system...

Follow AOS on Twitter: @AoS_Forum

I'm Greg.

I wouldn't mix a Linn arm with a Lenco but that's probably my dislike of Japanese arms manufactured under licence for a Scottish company which are hyped up to be much more than they really are.

You'll have to do some serious reading and thinking about arm geometry, most of which you'll find on Lenco Lovers. You might even need to cut off the top right corner of the deck to accommodate or better still, cut off a complete section of the right side, trim off the curved edge and have it braized back into place. If the 'V' blocks on which the standard arm rests are in good condition, although it looks antique, I'd play with the original arm first. It's not that bad. If you make the space for new geometry, I'd consider a Rega RB250/300 but probably for affordable high quality, a second hand Mayware Formula 3 or 4 or a Hadcock. The last two are both unipivots and can produce gob-smacking sounds. The Mayware would benefit from a rewire.

I hope that helps,

Greg

I'm Nick.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    I hope that helps
    I'm learning fast! There seems a wealth of info & opinion out there about the Lenco, and your thoughts are much appreciated! Up until a few weeks ago I'd not given my turntable much thought, but then realised that it was because my turntable was so poor that vinyl was so unenjoyable... I have some good vinyl unavailable on other formats and that's what's catalysed this interest in getting that part of my kit working well. But I know naathing as they say.

I think that 'wood' is going to be the next thing on my list. Tonearm geometry does my nut so I'm hoping the stock arm or the Debut arm will give me some breathing space. LencoLovers I think has a good list of compatible 'arms... I don't want to get into hardcore modifications to the deck to handle 'arms without knowing more about the options, from a mechanics perspective more than anything.

I'll see about opening a new thread to record thoughts and progress with this.

Where in Bristol are you, BTW, I'm In St Andrews...
    Nick
    My system...

I'm ILOB.

I remember seeing on one of the sites all the measurements compaired to the Lenco arm. The arm is the Lenco weakest link Basically try and get the length as close as you can to the orignal this is the part that scared me off getting a lenco a few years back too. Might be even worth paying someone to set this up if you go down this path.
    http://www.btinternet.com/~a.d.richa...cado.html#arms
    http://homepage.ntlworld.com/maddogm...n/tonearms.htm
    Good luck
    Loves anything from Pain of Salvation to Jeff Buckley to Django to Sarasate to Surinder Sandhu to Shawn Lane to Nick Drake to Rush to Beth Hart to Kate Bush to Rodrigo Y Gabriela to The Hellecasters to Dark Sanctury to Ben Harper to Karicus to Dream Theater to Zero Hour to Al DiMeola to Larry Carlton to Derek Trucks to Govt Mule to?

Humour: One of the few things worth taking seriously

I'm InSpace.

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    The arm is the Lenco weakest link
    Agreed!

Though, strangely perhaps, it does have it's fans!
    Shian7
    --------------------------------------------------------

Kudakutemo
    kudakutemo

ari mizu-no tsuki

Though it be be broken -
    broken again - still it's there:
    the moon on the water.

- Choshu.

I'm Greg.

I'm not far away and I could probably help you with your project. I'll PM you my mobile number.

Best wishes,

Greg

I'm Paul.

I'm probably a bit too late but....

The arm on the Debut is only about 8" and won't align properly unless you cut a new hole centered about a inch or so from the current hole center. I rashly assume the Lenco arm is longer than the Debut arm here though. If this is the case your null points will differ from those of longer arms as well.

As for the noise from the Debut, they had electrically noisy motors. Did you find that the noise got worse the closer the cartridge got to the motor??

I cut a thin metal plate with a hole for the pulley and screwed it over the motor. I also earthed it using a M3 nut and bolt with star washers.

heres some pics of my Debut (you can't see the plate however) I still whip it out every now and again and it sounds great.

However, please don't take any of this as a detraction of your Lenco project.

~Paul~

I'm Nick.

Hi Paul!

Thanks for your post. That's a nice TT; looks like you've an aftermarket arm? Mine mounts directly to the base-board. I am now kind of wedded to the idea of a Lenco-based project but your point about the tonearm length is really good. I hadn't actually tried measuring the Debut arm, and the Lenco TT hasn't arrived yet so you've saved me the hassle of even trying the Debut arm with that TT. TBH I get the annoying low-level hum even with the arm on the Debut at rest on it's retainer. What did you earth the Pro-Ject to? I earthed mine to the chassis of my amp - mine had an earthing wire along with the phono outs. Mine was one of the 1st generation Debuts from when they first came out. It's possible it has defects they ironed out later...
    Last edited by Beechwoods; 01-08-2008 at 16:49.
    Nick
    My system...

I'm Paul.

The tonearm is a home made unipivot and the Debut is also one of the 1st generation ones too. To get rid of the noise you have to make sure the alu tube of the tonearm is earthed properly to the signal earth. The shielding plate and the motor can, I think was also earthed to the signal ground as well. Also worth checking the tonearm ground wires are earthed to the phono plug bodies as well.

Anyway all that is moot unless you want to get the Debut optimum. As for tonearms you should be able to down load the fitting instructions from the manufacturers website, either that or somewhere like the Vinyl Engine. I know that many arms use Rega's standard of 223mm from spindle to pivot for 9" arms.

One other thing I will mention is to check the correct height of the tonearm on your Lenco in order to get the arm tube parallel to the record when the cartridge is fitted before drilling holes. You may find that you need to build an intermediate plinth to raise the tonearm. I've not done this on more than one occasion and it caused me many headaches.
    ~Paul~

I'm InSpace.

Quote Originally Posted by Beechwoods View Post
    About ten-quid too much,
    Not too bad TBH Beechy.

Check this out: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...MEWA:IT&ih=017

Shian7
    --------------------------------------------------------

Kudakutemo
    kudakutemo

ari mizu-no tsuki

Though it be be broken -