+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sibilance

I'm Twisted.

Default Sibilance

It may be that I am becoming discerning, or maybe I have just become hypersensitive and preoccupied with listening for what's wrong with my equipment. Perhaps the better my kit gets the more revealing it is, or perhaps somewhere along the audio line I am introducing... sibilance.

Do you have top tips for reducing sibilance? Isolation, positioning, cables, conditioning, treatments, wear ear muffs? Muffle the tweeters? Move house and change all my equipment? What works?
    Simon

MINI DSP SHD; Longdog 300b; Reiver Fenwicks

Twitter @siashmore

I'm Chris.

The 1" inch dome tweeter is your sworn enemy

They can often be ameliorated somewhat by the addition of a 47 ohm tweeter damping resistor. A Mills non-inductive wirewound is perfect for the job. Just solder one across the tweeter terminals (the ones on the tweeter itself).

Cheap kit generally has worse sibilance than more expensive kit.

Cable changes can sometimes help but aren't the first port of call (IMHO).

Depends how bad it is really.

Looking at your kit list I'm surprised it's a problem. Although I haven't heard the FB1+, sibilance is not something I've particularly noticed from other PMCs including the FB1.

I don't associate it with the Sugden or the Caiman either - what mods have you done to your Caiman?

Perhaps I'm just spoiled here because the Zus are one of the least sibilant speakers I've heard.
    iFi ZEN Stream/TV/CXC >> RME ADI2 DAC >> XTZ Edge A2-300 >> Rogers LS8a

PC >> Hugo 2 >> iFi Pro iCAN Sig >> Raal-Requisite CA-1a

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Both speakers you have tend, IMO of course, to have a bit of a "sting" in the treble that doesn't always blend with the mid quite as it should (if I've got 'em right). Pro-Acs as a breed tend to have a "saddleback" response, booming up the bass and fizzing up the treble in an attempt to artificially push the midrange (and vocals) back in a false "soundstage." OK twenty years ago perhaps, but not so much now. The PMC's can have a soft bass I found and, depending on the amp's damping factor, this can mask the midrange somewhat, allowing the tweeter to be well integrated or not, depending on this.

I know I sound like a broken record over this, but maybe it's time to listen to some better speakers from the "BBC legacy" stable, as I can guarantee that the Harbeth range will do what you now need (they LOVE the Sugden amp I'm reliably told) and the treble will be fine textured and sweet, rather than tinny and resonant. The bass of current Harbeths is under good control as well and doesn't swim around as earlier models (and classic Spendors too) could do.

As I've got older, youthful ear-abuse has come home to roost and I suffer Tinnitus which varies in its severity. At the moment, I'm ok and the system hasn't sounded better in years. Another effect of my earlier hearing abuse though is that I cannot stand any screechy midrange (or screaming twelve year olds afflicted with Tourettes') and mistracking and bad tweeters drive me insane.

I know it'll take an effort of will and possibly travel as well, but do try to get a listen to some current issue Harbeths. Even the little P3ESR will amaze you if you thought the Pro-Acs were any good. It sounds far bigger than it looks and the bass is surprisingly capable, only giving its tiny size away if hard pushed on the likes of Massive Attack. Alternative new speakers with clarity by the likes of Kudos or Neat may impress you with the sense of DEEEEETAAAIIIL, but you may find the tone assaulting if you're not careful.

P.S. I'm told the Dynaudio actives the BBC use are well behaved (can't remember the model, sorry) and sell for around £1500. Worth a listen in a pro gear shop if you can get to try them....
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Twisted.

Thank you both for your thoughtful responses.

As you can probably see from my initial post, I am not sure how pronounced the issue is, in truth probably not much, but I have become fixated. Maybe this is my nature, or perhaps the curse of growing 'expertise' is a proportional intolerance for perceived failings.

The Caiman has murata something, rubycon somethng, elna silmic someting, WIMA somethingorother and an 826.

I am, regrettably barely up to wiring a plug let alone soldering resisters, but I appreciate the advice and may investigate.

The PMCs are lovely speakers, and the ProAcs (though I have not had them long enough to fully evaluate) gave instant gratification. But, maybe I do need to take yet another step up.

I may try to attend one of these baking days to try to weigh my perceptions against those of others.
    Last edited by Ashmore; 11-12-2010 at 14:22. Reason: an apostrophe in the wrong place
    Simon

Twitter @siashmore

I'm ILOB.

This is one those issues that often happens when your system opens up. The main impact is likely the speakers as been suggested. Its really irrating to hear and in those days I did not have a forum of friendly faces to help me sort out
    I wish you speed and not so much expensive in sorting this issue out
    Loves anything from Pain of Salvation to Jeff Buckley to Django to Sarasate to Surinder Sandhu to Shawn Lane to Nick Drake to Rush to Beth Hart to Kate Bush to Rodrigo Y Gabriela to The Hellecasters to Dark Sanctury to Ben Harper to Karicus to Dream Theater to Zero Hour to Al DiMeola to Larry Carlton to Derek Trucks to Govt Mule to?

Humour: One of the few things worth taking seriously

I'm Chris.

This might be a stupid question but there's just an outside chance...

You aren't using QED Silver Anniversary are you?
    iFi ZEN Stream/TV/CXC >> RME ADI2 DAC >> XTZ Edge A2-300 >> Rogers LS8a

PC >> Hugo 2 >> iFi Pro iCAN Sig >> Raal-Requisite CA-1a

I'm Twisted.

John - that's exactly how I feel about it. I am learning.

Thanks Technobear - ditching the QED was the first thing I did on joining the forum! Now using Van Damme 6mm pure copper.
    Simon

Twitter @siashmore

I'm andrew.

I have just got rid of a pair of FB1+ for a variety of reasons but one of the main problems with them for me was an increase in sibilance, in fact it was so bad that I stopped listening to certain records.
    I tried different interconnects and speaker cables with no joy so I went back to my Snell J's and the problem went away. I now have Audionote J's and there is still no hint of sibilance so I would point the finger at your speakers.
    Andy.

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

If the OP's location in Kent is within easy reach of the M25, then I recommend a trip anti-clockwise to the M11 and up to the Saffron Walden area, where HiFi Dave has the Harbeth range on dem, together with vast knowledge of PMC and Pro-Ac's (and others on dem). Give him a call and see if you can sort a demo out
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm John.

My apologies for being a bit off topic.

Dave R (DSJR)
    I read most of what you write here Dave and I read here that you suffer from tinnitus.
    I don’t know you from Adam really but I do empathise. It can be really unpleasant in its severer forms and for someone such as you who I imagine not only loves his Hi Fi but also music, it can be enormously frustrating.
    I’ve lived with it for a great many years (we are probably of similar age) I’m fortunate in that mine is a single continuous very high frequency tone; and it comes and goes in intensity. I was exposed to a considerable amount of jet engine noise when I worked in avionic communications and that it seems was enough for my ears.
    I realize its pointless pointing this out on a Hi Fi forum but the likelihood of many contributors here getting tinnitus in their later years is well above average, currently 1 in 5 males over 50 (non audiophiles) and rumored to be 3 in 5 for those that listen to electronically reproduced music regularly.
    The truth is while audio reproduction is a wonderful hobby, it’s also likely to be damaging to your hearing. Headphones’ listening it seems has the greatest potential for permanent hearing damage as surveys suggest that many listen at decibel levels above 85db for extended periods.
    I would suggest that everyone who listens to music through a Hi Fi establishes just what 85db sounds like. It really isn’t very loud. Then think about how long you listen at that volume or above.
    Single spur balanced Mains. Self built music server with 3 seperate linear PSU, Intel i5, 16 GB RAM no hard drive (various Linux OS). Benchmark Dac2 HGC, single ended XLR interconnects/Belkin cable. Exposure 21RC Pre, Super 18 Power (recap & modified). Modded World Audio HD83 HP amp. Hand built Monitors with external crossovers , Volt 250 bass & ABR, Scanspeak 13M8621 Mid & Scanspeak D2905/9300 Hi. HD595 & Beyer 880 (600 ohm) cans.

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.
    -Bertrand Russel

John.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast