+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Any Mac users tried Audirvana yet?

I'm Richard.

Default Any Mac users tried Audirvana yet?

If you've got Mac OS 10.6 and a DAC and you haven't tried playing some music through this yet, you're missing a real treat, so head on over here:

http://code.google.com/p/audirvana/

Still very much in its early stages at the moment and is a very simply player with a playlist window and no remote control option, but it has some major benefits over everything else.

It bypasses Audio MIDI settings so no having to change your sample rate or bit depth for music at different resolutions, it's free, and best of all it shows up just how bad iTunes sounds. In my system it even manages to beat pure music.

Very much still in development but for serious listening, I've not heard any better sounds from a Mac.
    Rich

I'm Gary.

is there a option to play through itunes but using this to fulfill the enhanced sound?

I have over 50,000 tracks in my itunes library, moving to a new player/library will be almost impossible/massive pain in the ass.

I'm Nick.

iTunes organises it's files in a folders, so just right click on any song in iTunes, and select 'Show in Finder' - make a note of where the files are on your HD and then you can point any other player at them. This should work with Audirvana - I've not had a chance to try it myself yet, mind...
    Nick
    My system...

Follow AOS on Twitter: @AoS_Forum

I'm Richard.

There is work underway to utilise the iTunes library. I'm in a similar situation with a well stocked and organised iTunes library so I'd love it if the player could be used as the backbone to iTunes. For now I'm using iTunes for general background use with remote control from an iPad but if I want to sit and listen attentively to something, I'll just drop an album or two into a playlist in Audirvana.

I was looking at the way Audirvana does things last night. It seems that it looks at the incoming sample rate/bit depth and alters Audio MIDI settings on the fly. Also if you've got upsampling switched on, it forces 2x the sample rate of the resolution of the file playing... Why oh why can't iTunes at least change this setting without having to be quit and restarted again?
    Rich

I'm Lee.

Tried it and couldnt tell the difference, so its now in the trash bin
    Vinyl rig 1 - NAS Spacedeck / FR64s / Lab 12 Melto / Denon SUT / Ortofon GM SPU. Vinyl rig 2 Mono Set Up - Lenco GL75 c/w Jelco 750D / AT33 Mono / EAR 834P Modded. Amplifiers - Audio Note Empress Silver / Hattor Passive Pre. Digital - Fanless Mini PC / Lampizator TRP / Linear PSU / Hummingboard Network audio adaptor. Speakers - Horns.pl Mummy's. Cables are Audio Note / Albedo / Furutech Speaker wire. Power conditioner is a Gigawatt PC2 EVO

+ Reply to Thread