+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 'AAD' vs. 'DDD' CD test

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Ta!

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Exclamation Wakey, wakey, people!!

Well this discussion has died a death, eh?

Alex, fancy waking things up a bit by telling us of your findings last weekend, presuming you got a chance to do some comparisons?

If not, please try and do so soon, as I'm interested in finding out what people's thoughts are on this.

I believe it will provide some indication as to how much progress, if any, has been made in terms of the recording quality of today's 'pop' music on CD or downloads, compared to the standard of the former in the 80s, a few years after CD was invented, when I believe that overall standards were at their highest.

I take the point about the influence of production quality regardless of what type of equipment the recording was made on, and agree, but there's definitely more to it than that.

I'd like people to try and identify the unique 'sonic signature' the analogue equipment used to produce an 'AAD' CD imparts on the sound, compared to the average all-digital produced pop CDs or downloads today, and in what way this makes many music recordings sonically superior.

Come on guys, pull yer fingers out, and let's have some input!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm inthescottishmafia.

I ordered the cd Marco, but it's not turned up yet.

Nice one, mate. I'll be interested in what you think.

For me, the recording quality of the Electribe 101 album is almost as good as that of Eric Bibb albums, which with its valve influences, are one of my chosen references in terms of sound quality. And the music's bloody good, too!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Look forward to it if it's that good Marco.Those Eric Bibb albums sounds great.

I know. I believe that they're produced using valve microphones and mixing desks, and could've also been born from an analogue source. Incidentally, I think the point Clive made earlier about musical interplay between musicians in a studio, and the reasons for the success of such (or not), is very valid.

Progress eh?

Marco.
    Main System

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Yes,they are recorded "live" in one take with no EQ or compression whatsoever,and no mixing afterwards,with valve mics and mixing desk. Anyone interested should check them out. The label is Opus3.

Yup. And does that not also say something, I wonder, in terms of the point I'm trying to make on this thread regarding the sonic superiority of many 'AAD' discs?

Yes, the recording process itself is important, but so is the gear used to make it!

Although of course I wouldn't consider Eric Bibb albums as necessarily being representative of typical 'pop' CDs today.

Incidentally, anyone who's got a decent vinyl set-up and sound card, and uses Audacity to copy vinyl albums (produced from an all-analogue source) to CD will know exactly what I'm getting at here......!

Marco.
    Main System

I'm inthescottishmafia.

No,not typical,though no reason more mainstream stuff couldn't be recorded this way!

INDEED!

Marco.
    Main System

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast