+ Reply to Thread

Thread: wanted naim

I'm Norman.

Default wanted naim

looking for Naim NAC 62 and Naim NAP 90 for my son,can anyone assist

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Please forgive me for asking this, but why do you wish to subject your son to two of the worst items Naim ever made? The 62 is bettered only by the 42 and 42.5 in awfulness and the 90 is gutless, even into efficient speakers - IMO of course.. These two items are only suitable for extreme modding to make them of HiFi quality IMO.

For £200 to £300 I'm sure you could find something much better - oh I dunno, a Quad 33/303 ripe for fettling or even pre done for that kind of money. At least your son won't get listening fatigue or ear-damage

P.S. If Naim it has to be, PLEASE try to get a 72 preamp. The fixed filters are better and un-used boards can be readily removed, saving the 90's power supply excessive stress.
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Deleted.

The 63 is fine - but the Nap140 is significantly better than the 90. The 33/303 is simply dire in my pinion.

Naim must have deeply offended Dave - he's never forgiven them........

To be honest, Naim is not well represented on this forum and you are unlikely to get much response to your query.
    Account Deleted

I'm Paul.

Try pinkfishmedia for a better response.

both dave and mark are right, the 62/90 is a poor combo, you might as well go out and buy a Nait. consider a chrome bumper 32.5 as well as the olive 72, both can be upgraded and will sing when partnered with a 140. The 90 really is crapsville.
    Paul.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by YNWaN View Post
    The 63 is fine - but the Nap140 is significantly better than the 90. The 33/303 is simply dire in my opinion.

Naim must have deeply offended Dave - he's never forgiven them........

To be honest, Naim is not well represented on this forum and you are unlikely to get much response to your query.
    Probably for good reason.

You comments regarding the Quad 33/303 can only be taken in context if one knows the speakers you are intending to drive.
    Barry

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

I didn't suggest a straight old 33/303, but a fettled pair, which Mark may not have heard. My 33 was totally transformed by the Dada and partial Richard Bryce mods and the couple of extra caps replaced on the output cards to all but remove the sharp bass filter really made it "breathe" in a most musical and satisfactory manner once the power supply was beefed up, that's all.

I do agree that the 303 may not be the most universal amp out there, due to it's cap coupling, but into most speakers, it don't arf amplify string tone properly, something that no CB Naim could do properly without chrome-plating it - IMO....

There are genuine subjective (and also objective) reasons why some Naim isn't favoured over much around here. many of us have been there and moved onwards and upwards AND, to be fair, so have Naim, who seem to be masters at freshening up old wine and re-bottling it. Apparently, the current range sounds far less in-ya-face and harsh toned than any CB models ever did.

The 62 may be alright for vinyl, but its crude filtering may react with digital sources, that's why I suggested a 72. The 32.5 can have the 729 filter boards fitted, but it still doesn't sound the same as a 72 (I compared many). However, the modular nature of the 32.5 and 72 makes it easy to fettle..
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

+ Reply to Thread