+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 41 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: My bits and pieces

I'm Simon.

I realise that but even on a big amp they have their faults. Those faults just happen to be less than almost any rival speakers for similar money (IMHO). They are still just a basic boxed speaker than sprays sound in all directions causing havoc with in-room sound... done using better drivers than most!!!!
    Listening to: modified Arcam Alpha, DIY preamp, DIY chip amp (top end amp), modified Carlsbro Powerline 800 (bass amp), DIY open baffle 3 way speakers (passive biamp for now)

I'm Rob.

Oh yes, they are not perfect, but for under £600 i have not heard any better from a similar sized speaker that will work in a smaller room.
    I think they do derserve a slighty better tweeter though, as good as the Vifa unit is (and its great for a £20 unit, it could be bettered, especially when you pay £1.8k for a SCM-19)

I'm Simon.

Oh yes, the sound you get from ATC speakers is good enough to make me think twice about DIY speaker-building! Ah well, it's too late now
    Listening to: modified Arcam Alpha, DIY preamp, DIY chip amp (top end amp), modified Carlsbro Powerline 800 (bass amp), DIY open baffle 3 way speakers (passive biamp for now)

I'm Rob.

I suppose I should update it.

After the Jericho horns i had this-

Sony 770ES replaced the Teac A-BX7R, Sony 930QS replaced the VRDS10SE and Kord Tornado's replaced the ATC's and Jericho horns.
    This was the system that was exhibited at the last Scalford Hall show (although then I still had the VRDS10SE)

I then was about to move house, and move into a much smaller room, so the Kords were sold These were cracking speakers!

I bought a pair of Keesonic Kolts and Rega R1's to fit into the new room-

The Keesonics on the floor.

The Sony 770ES was sold, and had a Rega Brio3 for a little while, but needed cash, so it was moved on. A little T-Amp was inserted courtesy of Jerry, on Loan.

The R1's were good, but decided to change direction, and sold them both for a new DIY project-

Little Omnes Audio BB3.AL full range drivers. There were good fun, but was regretting selling the Keesonics, truly lovely little mini-monitors. Sort of like down scaled SCM7's.

Again, was a bit cash strapped so it was all moved on apart from the T-Amp which went in the cupboard and was without hifi for a month or two

After a few months, situations changed a little so i pushed the boat out and bought a Philips CD850 and a pair of SCM10's -

This is how the system currently stands, earlier this week i inserted a Sony TA-F448E amp, to see if it did better than the T-Amp, i prefer the latter.

The SCM10's mahoosive magnet-

And thats it so far

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

I can barely keep up!!!!!

The Celestions as stands won't be ideal in all honesty, as the bass drivers, especially the ABR, may affect the bass from the SCM10's.

The SCM10 is a bit of heaven and hell I found. Stunningly better than the likes of LS3/5A's and basically sweet natured, they have to be treated with respect on rock-n-roll if they're not to bottom out. Couple that with a severe need for good old fashined WATTS to get them going, I'd respectfully suggest some care in use. They can thrill if used within their capabilities - you'd LOVE the 20's in comparison I think (I've owned passive and the "Pro" active SL versions)...

P.S. The CD850 makes a FABULOUS transport for when you get your Caiman - hint hint... I used one with a Deltec PDM1mk2 back in the day
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Mika.

I'm using also similar Philips as a transport and it works like a charm

I'm Rob.

Yes, bought some bargain Target R1 stands (same that i had for the SCM7's) and picking them up on Monday

I dont get loud enough to worry about bottoming out the bass drivers, never had that problem with the SCM7s and they use the same sized mid-bass driver.

A quick comparison between the 10's and 7's -

Now to compare the SCM10's to the modern SCM7's, i think the older 10's with the different tweeter, are a little easier on the ears, the main failing of the 7's was the slightly strident treble at times, the 10's seem a bit smoother, a better compromise IMO. They feel slightly better built (less cabinet vibrations) but do seem a little closed in, but the room, CDP and Amp are completely different. They look nicer in the Rosewood versus the Cherry on the 7's as well.
    They certainly sound more focused (soundstage definition) when the grilles are on, the opposite of the 7's from memory.

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

I'm answering one thread while you're posting on the other

The 10's were far more expensive to make and that's one reason why they were retired gracefully from the catalogue. The introduction of a much cheaper driver from Focal which was at least as good must have helped things along a bit too, and that's one reason why the later "budget" range of ATC's came along. the original 7's were horrid, sounding scrappy and rather coloured in the company of their peers, although they were re-worked quite quickly I remember. I always felt a tad more top would have helped the 10 and 20, but then, the slightly rough quality in the Vifa tweeter would have been exposed, as it was so cruelly in the 20SL Pro's I had, which despite being active, had a one-note "sparkle" all the time - could have been my particular pair I suppose?

Just get the 10's properly powered, use a heavy gauge speaker cable, say, 2.5mm minimum, a well behaved yet meaty amp and you'll be ok for now. Removing the Celestions as stands will give a massive upgrade in the bass I think and, in the meantime, you could do some resorative work on the 15's? using the ATC's as a guide for tonal balance.

P.S. if you haven't done so already, ask ATC if they have any promo material and "white papers" left regarding the 10's and their speaker design s in particular. They make wonderful reading and the language isn't difficult to understand.

I'm Rob.

Cheers, i was trying to keep the threads separate.

Which driver was from Focal? The 10's do sound a lot smoother and well behaved than the newer 'Entry range' SCM7s. The 7's had a tendancy to sound a bit hard in the treble occasionally and slightly strident. The 10's sound very well behaved.

I'm David.

I can't remember, but in the mid 90's, Focal introduced a 5" driver which looked to have a decent chassis and fairly chunky magnet, playing the over-specified ATC driver at it's own game and for far less money per unit. Having a short coil in a long gap can work wonders, but improved magnet circuitry can apparently make for more efficient longer coil drivers which work at least as well - apparently. This is not to damn ATC, who've made their own drivers for decades now, just showing how markets move on I reckon. I think the speaker rule-book was written decades ago, it's only now with modern materials and computer-aided design that such good results have come down in price. Sadly, it seems that Tannoy are one of the very few manufacturers left who can take a forty or more year old speaker and fully restore it and its crossover to better-than-new performance. At least owners of ATC's from the 20 upwards can have the SL drivers and improved amp packs fitted to update them, but the cost these days is profit/survival driven, whereas in "my" day, it was more of a service, if you see what I mean.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 41 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast