+ Reply to Thread

Thread: USB Powered Dac problem.

I'm John.

Default USB Powered Dac problem.

Until recently I’ve been using an HRT Pro connected to my laptop. Between the HRT Pro and the laptop I’ve been using an adapted mains powered USB which has a galvanic isolator between the Dac and the Hub.
    I sold the HRT Pro along with the powered hub and returned to the HRT 11+ and I’ve been running it off USB power until I get around to building another isolated mains powered USB hub.
    Through my amp and speakers all seems fine, but when I connect it up through my headphone amp I get a noticeable hum in one channel akin to a grounding loop problem. If I earth the Dac by touching it the noise goes. If I stand directly in front of the laptop the hum decreases.
    It may also be relevant that I use semi balanced interconnects (shield not connected at amp end, only at source)

So, I set about trying to see what could be done to ground the path from the laptop to Dac.
    Like most laptops I imagine (?) it doesn’t have a ground lead from power mains plug to transformer to laptop power input.
    If I leave an Ethernet cable plugged in (which carries a ground) even if the router is switched off the hum goes.
    This would seem to suggest that the laptop could do with grounding.
    I find it hard to believe it is just the combination of my headphone amp, Dac and cables causing this problem and wonder if all laptops using a USB only powered Dac have this problem
    Has anyone else experienced this problem and does anyone know of a way of grounding a laptop under mains power?
    Single spur balanced Mains. Self built music server with 3 seperate linear PSU, Intel i5, 16 GB RAM no hard drive (various Linux OS). Benchmark Dac2 HGC, single ended XLR interconnects/Belkin cable. Exposure 21RC Pre, Super 18 Power (recap & modified). Modded World Audio HD83 HP amp. Hand built Monitors with external crossovers , Volt 250 bass & ABR, Scanspeak 13M8621 Mid & Scanspeak D2905/9300 Hi. HD595 & Beyer 880 (600 ohm) cans.

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.
    -Bertrand Russel

John.

I'm NoLongerActive.

If you do a search on ground on e.g. http://www.head-fi.org/ you will find a lot of postings.
    Plug all the gear in the same power block sometimes help.
    Cheater plugs (lifting the ground of the DAC) are often used.
    A simple USB isolator like http://electronics-shop.dk/?

Succes!

I'm John.

Thanks for the reply Vincent
    I had seen the USB isolator elsewhere.
    I adapted this for the HRT Pro; combined it with a USB mains powered hub and a decent 5V power supply.
    http://www.circuitsathome.com/measurements/usb-isolator
    with a bit of help from a mate.
    I use a single point ground conditioned distribution box for all my Hi Fi, conditioning now as
    http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?t=7450

However, an isolator on its own doesn’t solve the grounding problem
    I’ve had a look at the head fi forum and apart from the fact that some idiot decides to post something really stupid mid thread I cant find yet a reasonable suggestion for grounding a laptop………..unless you take one of the suggestions and shove a copper rod into the guts and run an earth wire of it

However, it seems I’m not the only one with laptop grounding problems.
    Looks like a bit more research is needed.
    Single spur balanced Mains. Self built music server with 3 seperate linear PSU, Intel i5, 16 GB RAM no hard drive (various Linux OS). Benchmark Dac2 HGC, single ended XLR interconnects/Belkin cable. Exposure 21RC Pre, Super 18 Power (recap & modified). Modded World Audio HD83 HP amp. Hand built Monitors with external crossovers , Volt 250 bass & ABR, Scanspeak 13M8621 Mid & Scanspeak D2905/9300 Hi. HD595 & Beyer 880 (600 ohm) cans.

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.
    -Bertrand Russel

John.

I'm NoLongerActive.

However, an isolator on its own doesn’t solve the grounding problem
    I expect a isolator to galvanic isolate the 2 components on power and dataline and ground. Wonder what is going on

If you lift the ground of the DAC, does that help?

+ Reply to Thread