+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mac or PC

I'm Graeme.

Quote Originally Posted by Thermionic View Post
    At work long ago I had an Apple IIe, and used Visidex and Appleworks when they were new(!). It was a good reliable machine and it saved my firm a lot of money. So having become used in the very early days of personal computers to something fairly slick and useful, I have always found PCs something of a frustrating disappointment. I was a bit like having driven a Lotus being told that a Morris Minor was a performance car. When my second laptop (a Sony Viao running XP) eventually slowed up and showed signs of death, which is something I am told happens with XP, I couldn’t face re-loading Windows and decided to look for something else. Actually, my wife got fed up with me hitting and swearing at the beast, and one morning suggested that we took at trip to an Apple shop. I must admit I didn’t take much persuading to come away with a nice shiny new Macbook Pro.

Well this was chalk and cheese. Yup, the mac was about three times the cost of a laptop PC, though you could (on this site) think of it as not even the cost of an SME 5, and as a Stellavox and Nagra fancier the carved-out-of-the-solid aspect of the Apple struck a definite chord.

I’ve not looked back since, and have found the MBP to be a useful tool. The ‘philosophy’ of the software is different in that it tries to assist rather than obstruct and it also seems far more robust. Though of course there is at times a steep learning curve. I have not explored Itunes much other than playing existing files through the USB ports, and for Flac I use ALC (must check out Cog, thanks Nick). But after a couple of months fairly un-traumatic use the only complaints I have is that the case can be a bit cold in the mornings and the front edge is a bit sharp.

I suppose the most telling aspect of my own conversion is that sometimes when I grab my wife’s (Windows) laptop I am reminded how slow, arthritic and seemingly obstructive the whole machine is. In fact she gets quite annoyed at me poking fun at it.

Just IMHO
    I'm like that with Linux!
    PLEASE CALL ME GREZ!

Manticore Mantra TT circa 1986 c/w Linn Basik+ Arm and Ortofon 2M Blue cartridge; Cyrus CD8SE CD player 2009; Onix OA-21 amplifier circa 1985; Celestion DL4 speakers, 1985; Apollo Speaker Stands 1987; Sound Organisation Rack 1992.

I'm John.

Hmm, some interesting stories.
    Now this is what I don’t get; afaik Apple put the same shite in their stuff as any other computer manufacturer or are they making their own processors, motherboards, RAM etc…….I think not.

Okay, the software they use is different but the hardware which is what determines the mechanical reliability of a machine is basically the same as all the other makes.

Now in all honesty I would rather have a linux OS; from what I’ve seen it canes the white fruit raincoat and the microshite stuff, but……..

So, I say the build quality can be bought with any OS so the debate is really around the software.

So, how many of you Apple supporters use the native Apple applications for audio?

(I really really really dont like Apple as a company)
    Single spur balanced Mains. Self built music server with 3 seperate linear PSU, Intel i5, 16 GB RAM no hard drive (various Linux OS). Benchmark Dac2 HGC, single ended XLR interconnects/Belkin cable. Exposure 21RC Pre, Super 18 Power (recap & modified). Modded World Audio HD83 HP amp. Hand built Monitors with external crossovers , Volt 250 bass & ABR, Scanspeak 13M8621 Mid & Scanspeak D2905/9300 Hi. HD595 & Beyer 880 (600 ohm) cans.

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.
    -Bertrand Russel

John.

I'm Keith.

After 26 years of working in IT, I find operating system debates pretty pointless - no one is going to change their opinion and the 'minority' (ie. OSX and Linux) supporters tend to defend their position vociferously.

(Posted from my laptop running Ubuntu Linux whilst listening to music streamed by my Ubuntu Linux media PC from my Ubuntu Linux fileserver)
    Keith
    Analogue: Lenco L75 with 'PTP5' top plate in heavy birch ply plinth/re-wired Rega RB300/SAE 1000e HOMC Cartridge/Trans-Fi Reso-Mat/Moth RCM
    Files: Voyage MPD/Custom PC/Supra USB/Beresford ASYNCH-1/Beresford TOSlink cable
    CDP: Inca Katana SE
    DAC: Beresford Caiman MkII (LiPo Battery powered)
    Pre-Amp: Croft Micro 25 Power-Amp: Croft Series 7
    Speakers: DIY Frugel-Horn Mk3 ('FH3') + REL Strata subwoofer
    Headphones: Beyer Dynamics DT990 Pro (250 ohm)/Schiit Asgard Headphone Amp
    Cables - Interconnects: Mark Grant G1000HD Speaker Cables: Van Damme Blue
    Mains: Belkin PF30/Mark Grant DSP2.5 & DSP1.0 Rack: Target

Office System: HP Win8 Laptop/JRiver/MF V-Link2/Beresford Bushmaster MkII/Topping TP20 Mk2/Mission 771e
    Bedroom System: Raspberry Pi/Raspbrian + MPD/HiFiBerry DAC/Topping TP20 Mk2/Mission 760i or DIY Hybrid Valve-MOSFET Headphone amp + Sennheiser HD595

Gallery

I'm Jim.

Quote Originally Posted by Welder View Post
    Hmm, some interesting stories.
    Now this is what I don’t get; afaik Apple put the same shite in their stuff as any other computer manufacturer or are they making their own processors, motherboards, RAM etc…….I think not.
    Ah yes maybe, but the aluminium unibody case is a sight better than the usual plastic cases on the run of the mill laptops.
    Naim ND5 XS, nDAC, XP5 XS, 202, HC, NAPSC, 250.2, B&W 804s.
    AVR350, B&W HTM4, Gallo.
    Samsung, Oppo.

MartinT Guest

Quote Originally Posted by keiths View Post
    After 26 years of working in IT, I find operating system debates pretty pointless
    Agreed, Keith, I try not to get into it now. I choose to use Windows 7 and find there is nothing I cannot do with it. I only get annoyed with Apple Macbooks at work because they are so crap on a network. However, there are better things to debate.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by trailer View Post
    Ah yes maybe, but the aluminium unibody case is a sight better than the usual plastic cases on the run of the mill laptops.
    Hi mate,

Just a quickie, could you please add your first name and location to your profile, as per the new requirements for all members?

Cheers!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Jim.

Sorry Marco,

Hadn't posted for a while but been lurking around!

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Hi mate,

Just a quickie, could you please add your first name and location to your profile, as per the new requirements for all members?

Cheers!

Marco.
    Naim ND5 XS, nDAC, XP5 XS, 202, HC, NAPSC, 250.2, B&W 804s.
    AVR350, B&W HTM4, Gallo.
    Samsung, Oppo.

I'm Nat-andthat'swhyIdrink.

Quote Originally Posted by Spur07 View Post
    The PC route probably is cheaper but in terms of power/speed etc i think the macs are more competitively priced than many people think. the figures can be confusing although i'm no expert in this field.
    They use the exact SAME harware.. there are no hardware performance differences between two similarly spec'd machines because they will be the same machines.

Didn't use to be this way but Apple caved in to easier and cheaper ways of making their machines some years ago. The Motorola chip based ones were arguably better than similarly equiped PCs but then only for certain tasks (audio and graphics being two).

itunes apart, (can take a little getting used to but it looks fab), running a mac is way more intuitive than a PC. everytime i have to use a PC I end up wanting to throw it out the window its so frustratingly shit.
    Personally I find the opposite.. I've been using PCs since about '87 as a kid and everything micorsoft from the DOS back then has still retained it's logical, technical way of working, if you know what I mean. That's to say, that underneath the fancy GUI (that becomes more thickly laid on with each new Windows release) everything is still there where you would expect it to be from a technical point of view - a bit like finding that under the bonnet of your modern car, all the working parts are laid out as you'd expect and all are servicable unlike perhaps the reality of most modern cars where there are a lot of magic, sealed electronic units that only the dealer has the gear to deal with.

They're also considered more reliable than PC's and ime 99% of the time any problems are easily fixed by the user with the install discs and a little knowledge. I haven't had to send a mac out to be fixed for years.
    'Considered' is the very important word here. I would say the exact same as the above with all the PCs I've ever had and pretty much all of those have been hand-me-downs or found/recycled PCs. Normally problems are all software based and down to lazy inplementation of installation/uninstallation procedures.

Now, things are better in that respect with a Mac.. because you are less free to buy shitty software! It's a kind of restriction apon the user that protects their computers - a nanny computer state/company.

dont forget, with mac you're only operating essentially with 2 levels - Mac OS and then any software applications on top like photoshop, word, etc. With a PC your dealing with 3 levels because windows is essentially only a copy of Mac OS.
    Kind of true but problems have arrisen in the past with Apple and OS X because of this. People have been left in the cold at a dead end in terms of upgrading their OS because their expensive software can no longer work with the new OS implementations.

With Windows, that underlying Kernel doesn't necessarily change that much, just the layer above so the well constructed programmes are still sitting on the same kernel foundations as before.

any extra money you spend on a mac you'll easily make back in reliability and peace of mind.
    Depends on how you like to run your finances IMO. Many people are happy to throw a larger sum into one product for perceived peace of mind and reliabilty but you have to realise that by spending more at one time you are setting a larger amount to depreciate where it could be invested in something else actually growing or at least keeping up with inflation and holding value.

Macs do seem to have better batteries than lot of PCs but inside those battery packs are just standard off-the-shelf units. They can be upgraded and changed though.

Now, after chopping up that post as my answer to most typical reasons for owning a mac, I would not though dismiss buying a mac at all! You just have to consider that its plus points are really really worth that extra £600 odd quid for the same spec..

I think that most of the Mac's plus points and a PC's bad points are solved by moving to Linux.

The only two plus points I think that leaves for a Mac are its design and better software innovation as a whole - because the commercial image of a mac breeds that kind of thinking.

If you want a computer as a play machine or to run some specific software like Logic or Pro Tools, then by all means get a Mac.

If you want the machine to carry out a specific role like music server then pick and choose the hardware you need and set it up with Linux for that specific role. That way lies reliability AND low cost.

I'm Graeme.

Quote Originally Posted by keiths View Post
    After 26 years of working in IT, I find operating system debates pretty pointless - no one is going to change their opinion and the 'minority' (ie. OSX and Linux) supporters tend to defend their position vociferously.

(Posted from my laptop running Ubuntu Linux whilst listening to music streamed by my Ubuntu Linux media PC from my Ubuntu Linux fileserver)
    ..usually because we've got some sort of axe to grind against Windows...
    PLEASE CALL ME GREZ!

Manticore Mantra TT circa 1986 c/w Linn Basik+ Arm and Ortofon 2M Blue cartridge; Cyrus CD8SE CD player 2009; Onix OA-21 amplifier circa 1985; Celestion DL4 speakers, 1985; Apollo Speaker Stands 1987; Sound Organisation Rack 1992.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by trailer View Post
    Sorry Marco,

Hadn't posted for a while but been lurking around!
    Cheers, Jim - mucho appreciated!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast