+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: EL34, 6500A or KT88

I'm Imjustsurviving.

Right Joe the legend has been and gone, don't go near 6550's or KT88's, either stick to the EL34's or go for the JJ KT77's as suggested by Spendorman, but if you go for KT77's you need to reset the bias to 2 volts as specified on the spec plate on the amp, all this is asuming that the amp hasn't been got at before with things being changed from original.

I hope this helps
    Jon

A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new.

Set up
    Lafayette el84 power amp , Audio note M1 pre , Tannoy Sterlings, Garrard 301 , SME 3012 , puresound P10, Ortofon SPU, Cambridge CXN streamer
    Micro mega Duo 3 cd transport ,

I'm Josie.

righto... thanks for the info jon.

Cheers
    joe
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com

Facebook

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonboy View Post
    Right Joe the legend has been and gone, don't go near 6550's or KT88's, either stick to the EL34's or go for the JJ KT77's as suggested by Spendorman, but if you go for KT77's you need to reset the bias to 2 volts as specified on the spec plate on the amp, all this is asuming that the amp hasn't been got at before with things being changed from original.

I hope this helps
    On my STA25 III, if the bias was correctly set for good condition Mullard EL34's, bias was still near spot on when JJ KT77's were installed.

However, best to check the bias whenever output valves are changed, even if changed for exactly the same type. As the valve ages, bias will need to be adjusted as well. Easy to do though.

My friend has JJ EL34's in his STA20, no problems with them.
    Spendorman

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12