+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Panasonic officially announces Technics production to end 2010

I'm ThinkingOfHorns.

Default Panasonic officially announces Technics production to end 2010

Seems the end is nigh for the Technics SL-1200 and Technics SL-1210 turntables.

http://gizmodo.com/5675818/end-of-an...ics-turntables

http://campaign.r20.constantcontact....R5wqOXDnFrs%3D

Sad news & the end of an era. Values might just well go up though chaps!
    alfie
    Main System: Denon DP-6000 VPI Base/Fidelity Research FR64s/Ortofon SPU Royal GM MKII/Shelter 901/Auditorium 23 SUT/Pure Sound P10/SB Touch or Audio Note CDT & M2Tech Young Dac/BL Audio LP-1/New Audio Frontiers KT66 Legend/Living Voice OBX.
    2nd System: PC/Foobar/E-MU 0404 pci (Modded)/AVI ADM9/Rel Strata II subs.

I'm Neil.

I'm Stewart.

Sadly going the way of all hardware playback machinery now emulated in computer software just as audio and video tape machines are now more or less extinct from a manufacturing standpoint.

Prices will inevitably rise as they become more collectible but there must be literally hundreds of thousands of these decks out in the world now....
    Stewart.

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

Quote Originally Posted by Lodgesound View Post
    Prices will inevitably rise as they become more collectible but there must be literally hundreds of thousands of these decks out in the world now....
    Since 1972, more than 3 million units have been sold. (if you believe Wikipedia)
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_UK View Post
    Interesting article, even mentions the modification side of things. Must say I did not know about a MK6 Technics.

Regards D S D L

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Thank heavens for that

Perhaps some of you will now discover the joys of belt/string/cord/cotton drives and the potentially superior isolation of a properly suspended sub chassis
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Hi Alfie,

Seems the end is nigh for the Technics SL-1200 and Technics SL-1210 turntables.

http://gizmodo.com/5675818/end-of-an...ics-turntables

http://campaign.r20.constantcontact....R5wqOXDnFrs%3D

Sad news & the end of an era. Values might just well go up though chaps!
    These stories (which is precisely what they are) crop up now and then. Someone started a thread last year, showing very similar links, and of course SL-1200s and 1210s have since continued to be produced and sold in large quantities!

Therefore, as I've said before, I'll believe that they've been discontinued when I see *actual evidence*!!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Nick.

Shit. I guess I better get one before the price goes up. They'll be priced like Garrards in 20 years' time!
    Nick
    My system...

Follow AOS on Twitter: @AoS_Forum

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

TBH, I doubt they'll stop them just yet. I was led to believe they were made in large batches, not continuously as lower-scale production is. Last I heard, Matsushita were just trimming the options a bit, rather than stopping the 12** series altogether.

Does anyone know how the vinyl DJ lot are doing? It's they who'll decide the Techie's fate, together with the remaining Shure, Stanton, ortofon et al cartridge ranges made for them (and a few of us).
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

Actually, the article says that the Mk6 version is discontinued, while the others remain in production as always. Hmmm... The dealer here in Greece had told me a few months ago that the M5G was no longer in production, but the Mk2 and the Mk5 are always available.
    My system:

1. Technics SL-1210Mk2 (stock... For now)/Ortofon 2M Red cartridge/Musical Fidelity V-LPS preamp
    2. Philips DVP-9000S Cineos SACD/DVD player
    3. Audio Analogue Primo Settanta integrated amplifier
    4. Klipsch RB-25 loudspeakers
    5. Monster Cable Interlink 250 interconnects
    6. Roister (that's a Greek loudspeaker company) OFC speaker cables
    7. Atacama Nexus speaker stands

Konstantinos.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast