+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: High definition vinyl rips?

I'm Alex.

Default High definition vinyl rips?

What your guys' take on the 24-bit/96 kHz rips of vinyl material? Is it really possible to achieve high resolution sample by playing back vinyl and capturing the signal with a decent analog-to-digital converter? Is it really a healthy 24-bit/96 kHz signal?
    Don't you just hate it when you cannot detect where the post ends and a signature line begins?

Alex.

I've had excellent luck so far....

If you have the disc space and the patience, 24/192 will bring you even closer, but 24/96 is excellent. Of course the quality of your rips will depend on everything else in the chain.
    Jeff.

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by TONEPUB View Post
    I've had excellent luck so far....

If you have the disc space and the patience, 24/192 will bring you even closer, but 24/96 is excellent. Of course the quality of your rips will depend on everything else in the chain.
    Some people claim that vinyl is a medium that is capable of only 12 to 13 bit resolution maximum. If these limitations are indeed true, what would be the point in sampling the vinyl recordings to 24 bit resolution? Wouldn't it be like playing a VHS tape on a HD TV screen?

However, that may merely be an urban myth. How does one determine what is the resolution of an analog medium in terms of the digital sampling density? What I'm trying to say is that those naysayers could be talking straight out of their arses.
    Don't you just hate it when you cannot detect where the post ends and a signature line begins?

Alex.

Location: North Cambs UK, Earth, Sol, Orion - Cygnus arm of galaxy

I'm MadeOfDeadGiantStarsThatExplodedEonsAgo.

Quote Originally Posted by magiccarpetride View Post
    What I'm trying to say is that those naysayers could be talking straight out of their arses.
    They are doing just that

A top flight record deck & cartridge can sound better than just about any CD player. Please remember that analogue is virtually an infinite number of samples because you have the complete waveform & not one chopped into bits

A nice clean record & good gear playing it & i'm sure it'd be well worth recording in at least 24/96
    Bests, Mark

"We must believe in free will. We have no choice" Isaac Bashevis Singer

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by Reid Malenfant View Post
    They are doing just that

A top flight record deck & cartridge can sound better than just about any CD player. Please remember that analogue is virtually an infinite number of samples because you have the complete waveform & not one chopped into bits

A nice clean record & good gear playing it & i'm sure it'd be well worth recording in at least 24/96
    I don't need no convincing when it comes to the special status of analog sound (when done well, of course). What I'm interested in discussing here is this: would a good vinyl rip equal a good SACD/DVD-Audio master? Would it even surpass it? I'm mainly talking about a 24-bit/96 kHz rip.

Example: I have a rather OK DVD-Audio master of Billy Cobham's legendary 1973 album "Spectrum" (24-bit/96 kHz). I like how it sounds, the cymbals are very detailed and realistically etched in space, the overall sound is soft, not grainy at all, the dynamics are happening and are quite convincing, and in general, this high def master is far superior in every respect to its CD equivalent.

Now, if someone were to find a good vinyl copy of the same album, and rip it in 24/96 using a top drawer gear, would that rip equal the DVD-Audio master?

Alex.

Location: North Cambs UK, Earth, Sol, Orion - Cygnus arm of galaxy

I'm MadeOfDeadGiantStarsThatExplodedEonsAgo.

I think you'll it probably could be, yes A great deal would depend on the equipment that generates the 24/96 datastream though imo. Again you'd want it to be as good a quality as the vinyl playback system.

I'm not sure exactly what equipment would do this

But yes, a mint record with good quality equipment playing it (read loadsamoney ) & something of equal quality doing the conversion & you'd be onto a winner I'm sure it'd equal it, after all your digital copy came from somewhere You don't know what was used to actually make the 24/96 datastream on your disc, it may well be possible to surpass it quality wise...
    Bests, Mark

"We must believe in free will. We have no choice" Isaac Bashevis Singer

I'm Tim.

Try this one this what I use with FLACS,WAV and PCM rips. You need Vaio with DSD chip set though.

http://vaio-online.sony.com/prod_inf...2_2/index.html
    Regards, Tim.

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

Looks like I've got that on my Vaio laptop and didn't even know it! Thank god I don't work in IT. Oh, hang on...
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I'm Paul.

I've heard plenty of 24bit Vinyl rips and they've all been pretty rubbish imo. Without exception the equivalent rip from CD sounded infinitely better. Apart from the fact that it always sounds invariably flat I'm not sure there's a way to remove all the hiss and pips properly.

Waste of time without proper post production pimping.
    Paul.

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Quote Originally Posted by Reid Malenfant View Post
    They are doing just that

I disagree with the above. Vinyl may well be "nice," but compared to the source recording it's pants. CD isn't, surprisingly, when compared with the source recording. Even though there appears to be differences in CD playback, they're tiny when compared to the supreme differences that LP playback introduces. These views are from first-hand experiences and not just hearsay. For LP's, a well fettled Decca gets close when set up in a suitable arm on a proper turntable, but even that is hampered by the often band-limited plastic it's playing...
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast