+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Recommended floorstanding speakers for <£1000 (inc. s/h)

Default Recommended floorstanding speakers for <£1000 (inc. s/h)

I'm toying with the idea of replacing my Isobariks.

While they can be very enjoyable I quite like the idea of getting something more modern and easier on the eye!

I'd like something that can produce a full sound like the 'briks, while at the same time being faster and more accurate.

I'm thinking a budget of up to £1000 tops - and don't mind if this includes previously used.

I've no idea where to begin, so would welcome any suggestions!

Thanks
    Steve.

I'm Jason.

Well if they still have any in, I'd recommend the Dali Suite 2.8s that I have - were originally around a grand, but Sevenoaks were selling them off for £400 plus delivery... would leave plenty of wonga for other upgrades/music/beer!

Depending whereabouts you are in Somerset you'd be welcome to come and have a listen.

Jason
    ----------------------
    Before you criticise a man, walk a mile in his shoes. Then, when you do - you'll be a mile away. And have his shoes.

Wavy grooves go thru a RigB 540ML on an SL1500C. Digits stream from a cheapie CDP and a Sonos, into a Yamaha 803D driving Kralk Audio little 'uns. I used to have a Linn but I'm better now.

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

We did a comparison between old 'briks and some Sonus Faber Concerto mk1's on their adjustable stands using his Naim amps. He traded in the 'briks there and then. I know the SF's were stand mount, but we all felt the music made more sense than via the passive 'briks..

Alternatives? B&W CDM-7's should now be a grand or less. Tannoy Cheviots should still be affordable (budget some for restoration of the cone surrounds though), but will show up a harsh-toned Naim if you have such. Tannoy Turnberry's very occasionally come up and a recent pair sold on fleabay for £1200. these are much more refined than all the 1970's issue models and sound engaging without throwing the sound at you like the older ones could.

Linn's own speakers really need to be active to work at all, sadly. The Espeks boomed like crazy but the extra control when actively driven was clearly audible and they transformed into a very friendly speaker almost in the Spendor mold.

You know, old passive 'briks aren't so bad that they won't sound a heck of a lot better with modern gear. What do you use with them?
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

Location: North Cambs UK, Earth, Sol, Orion - Cygnus arm of galaxy

I'm MadeOfDeadGiantStarsThatExplodedEonsAgo.

ATC SCM40 if you can find a pair secondhand at about £1000, they should fit the bill but i'd suggest getting a good listen to them first Just make sure you have a power amplifier with plenty of power as they aren't the most sensitive speakers in the world..

If you want your music accurately reproduced though you won't go far wrong
    Bests, Mark

"We must believe in free will. We have no choice" Isaac Bashevis Singer

I'm John.

A second hand pair of ProAc Response D18’s perhaps.
    Single spur balanced Mains. Self built music server with 3 seperate linear PSU, Intel i5, 16 GB RAM no hard drive (various Linux OS). Benchmark Dac2 HGC, single ended XLR interconnects/Belkin cable. Exposure 21RC Pre, Super 18 Power (recap & modified). Modded World Audio HD83 HP amp. Hand built Monitors with external crossovers , Volt 250 bass & ABR, Scanspeak 13M8621 Mid & Scanspeak D2905/9300 Hi. HD595 & Beyer 880 (600 ohm) cans.

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.
    -Bertrand Russel

John.

Thanks Jason, I will keep that in mind.

DSJR - I'm currently using a Linn Lk280+spark and LK2 power amp combo, with Caiman and Apple airport express via optical cable and Linn K20 speaker cable.
    Steve.

I'm Twisted.

ahem... you could always investigate the purchase of a pair of very fine PMC FB1+ floorstanders from a thoroughly nice chap who sometimes frequents this forum (that would be me)....

Simon
    Simon

MINI DSP SHD; Longdog 300b; Reiver Fenwicks

Twitter @siashmore

I'm David.

Simons option is a good one in my books ... Although they are room sensitive, in the right room they are very good with some quite enthusiastic low bass response
    CS Port TAT2 - Benz LPS - Funkfirm Houdini - DS Audio Vinyl Ionizer - CS Port C3EQ - Kondo G70 - Kondo Gakuoh II - Maxonic TW1100 MKII - Isol-8 SubStation Integra

I'm inthescottishmafia.

I have a pair of ER Audio electrostatics on ebay if you have the room!

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Quote Originally Posted by monstermoo View Post
    Thanks Jason, I will keep that in mind.

DSJR - I'm currently using a Linn Lk280+spark and LK2 power amp combo, with Caiman and Apple airport express via optical cable and Linn K20 speaker cable.
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

'Briks of ANY vintage with LK280, will sound grainy and constricted, as the amp is horrid. I should know, as I owned one, sold them when I knew no better () and compared it with an original LK2. The original peed all over the LK280, which made the sound as if it was being squeezed through a toothpaste tube - ugghh! The Dirak and Spark made it worse if anything and the shortcomings of the Lk280 were measurable as well, sadly..

PLEASE, instead of flogging the 'Briks, which won't fetch much at the moment, get a modern amp which will drive 4 Ohm loads properly. A Cambridge 840A V2 comes to mind - loads of power, load tolerance and FAR more clarity - and I'm sure there are loads of other amps that would do as good (HK990?). Any of these modern but cachet-less power houses will annihilate that horrid old Linn amp - I've BEEN there and done it, replacing mine with a Nakamichi CA7 and PA5mk2, the preamp of which easily outclassed in the fundamentals of music reproduction by a Croft Micro Basic

To summarise, ANY speakers you buy will be dominated entirely by the amp getting in the way. Harsh words and I profusely apologise, but facts is facts I'm afraid and I lived to tell the tale...

P.S. [edit] - what you should be saving for is a pair of post 1993 ATC 100A's. these will cure all your troubles in one fell swoop I promise you

I hope Denis Blackham (Skye Mastering) won't mind me nicking this pic...

Last edited by DSJR; 22-10-2010 at 09:11.
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast