+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Garrard vs Michell

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Looking at his thread, why not an Orbe kit and SME 309 at least I reckon? best of everything in that idea I think..

The Gyrodeck was always a bit "soft focus" for me, unless fitted with an SME, a Spacecdeck showing it a very clean pair of heels when both were fitted with Rega arms. Hifi dave informs me that the Orbe is on a different and far higher level though and as hyou have some of it already..
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Jason.

Quote Originally Posted by blake View Post
    If you want to stay with the Gyro and create the best of both worlds you might want to look at the synergy issue and partner it with an arm and cartridge that will give you something that approaches the bottom end performance of the Garrard while maintaining all the Gyro's strengths.

I'd suggest that this might do it for you:

A Jelco 750D (tweaked to get into the 25 gram range with effective mass) combined with a modified Denon 103R (either in an ebony body as in the photograph, or to keep the costs down an aluminum body) with either a Soundsmith line contact retip or perhaps the Expert Stylus paratrace.

Put this together with an excellent phono stage and I don't think you'll find much to be lacking.

I can attest to the fact that this is a great jazz table. Actually, it does pretty much everything well
    Hi blake, thanks for your reply sorry I have taken a few days to reply back had to work. thanks for the info I like the look of the modified denon very nice, there is so many choices I have decided to come to the DIY get together. Do you know the times and is there a admission fee. Cheers Jason

I'm Jason.

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    I think if you can get to the DIY event you will hear many good idler drives and this would allow you to make the best choice and totaloly agree with Clive you really do need to hear these different methods and go for what you perfer
    Thanks again for everyone's advice on the deck, I think making the DIY get together is a good idea anyone know the times and if there is a admission fee. Cheers Jason

I'm ILOB.

Quote Originally Posted by Ali Tait View Post
    Jason,
    There will be one of our DIY get-togethers at the social club of Eggborough Power Station on the 6th Nov.Not sure what everyone is bringing,but there's a good chance there will be at least a 401.See the thread started by SPS (Steve) who is the nice man that sorts these do's out for us.It's a great day out,and you will probably get to hear a Garrard of some description at least!
    Please refer to this Everyone is really friendly and lots of great gear
    Steve (SPS) is a really nice guy. Some of the sounds these guys get is amazing
    The one I went to think cost £10 but sure Ali will be along latter to confirm
    Loves anything from Pain of Salvation to Jeff Buckley to Django to Sarasate to Surinder Sandhu to Shawn Lane to Nick Drake to Rush to Beth Hart to Kate Bush to Rodrigo Y Gabriela to The Hellecasters to Dark Sanctury to Ben Harper to Karicus to Dream Theater to Zero Hour to Al DiMeola to Larry Carlton to Derek Trucks to Govt Mule to?

Humour: One of the few things worth taking seriously

I'm ILOB.

http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?t=8069
    Best to email Steve (SPS) or add to this thread
    Loves anything from Pain of Salvation to Jeff Buckley to Django to Sarasate to Surinder Sandhu to Shawn Lane to Nick Drake to Rush to Beth Hart to Kate Bush to Rodrigo Y Gabriela to The Hellecasters to Dark Sanctury to Ben Harper to Karicus to Dream Theater to Zero Hour to Al DiMeola to Larry Carlton to Derek Trucks to Govt Mule to?

Humour: One of the few things worth taking seriously

I'm Jason.

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?t=8069
    Best to email Steve (SPS) or add to this thread
    Hi John, will do mate thanks for replying. Jason

I'm steve.

Hi Jason, the meet is not far from you.. eggborough power station social club

its on the power station grounds.. we will kick off around 9.30- 10.30 on
    sat 6th november..

the cost should be around a £10 or so..

i should have my thorens 124 with me.. i'm sure Will's 401 will be there along with a few more..

i also have a couple of 301's that you could listen to, but that would not be at eggbrough..i live near the humber bridge
    i would need to put them in a plinth 1st.. i also have a few gl75 & 78's, they too can make a nice sound with a little fettling for not alot of outlay
    and a couple of 88's thinking about it..
    collector and DIY user of old british triode valves

Open baffles / single ended diy px4 and px25 valve amps

I'm Jason.

Quote Originally Posted by SPS View Post
    Hi Jason, the meet is not far from you.. eggborough power station social club

its on the power station grounds.. we will kick off around 9.30- 10.30 on
    sat 6th november..

the cost should be around a £10 or so..

i should have my thorens 124 with me.. i'm sure Will's 401 will be there along with a few more..

i also have a couple of 301's that you could listen to, but that would not be at eggbrough..i live near the humber bridge
    i would need to put them in a plinth 1st.. i also have a few gl75 & 78's, they too can make a nice sound with a little fettling for not alot of outlay
    and a couple of 88's thinking about it..
    Hi Steve, that's great mate thanks for the info. Can I just ask if this is a men only event, reason I ask is my girlfriend enjoy's hi fi too and would like to come along, she says she will understand if its men only though.. Cheers Jason

I'm steve.

Quote Originally Posted by jason View Post
    Hi Steve, that's great mate thanks for the info. Can I just ask if this is a men only event, reason I ask is my girlfriend enjoy's hi fi too and would like to come along, she says she will understand if its men only though.. Cheers Jason
    she is more than welcome... i need to know for sure by tuesday as i have to sort lunch for us all... we will share the costs on the day... she will be included in that... it will be around £10 or so
    collector and DIY user of old british triode valves

Open baffles / single ended diy px4 and px25 valve amps

I'm Jason.

Quote Originally Posted by SPS View Post
    she is more than welcome... i need to know for sure by tuesday as i have to sort lunch for us all... we will share the costs on the day... she will be included in that... it will be around £10 or so
    Hi Steve, just to comfirm we will both be coming.

Cheers

Jason

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast