+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Garrard vs Michell

I'm ILOB.

To my ears the Salvation beats even the mighty Brinkmann LaGrange
    Loves anything from Pain of Salvation to Jeff Buckley to Django to Sarasate to Surinder Sandhu to Shawn Lane to Nick Drake to Rush to Beth Hart to Kate Bush to Rodrigo Y Gabriela to The Hellecasters to Dark Sanctury to Ben Harper to Karicus to Dream Theater to Zero Hour to Al DiMeola to Larry Carlton to Derek Trucks to Govt Mule to?

Humour: One of the few things worth taking seriously

I'm John.

Clive.
    Oh arr, no wood then………..
    “Significant”, “destroy”; as you say, depends on who is listening doesn’t it (?)
    Single spur balanced Mains. Self built music server with 3 seperate linear PSU, Intel i5, 16 GB RAM no hard drive (various Linux OS). Benchmark Dac2 HGC, single ended XLR interconnects/Belkin cable. Exposure 21RC Pre, Super 18 Power (recap & modified). Modded World Audio HD83 HP amp. Hand built Monitors with external crossovers , Volt 250 bass & ABR, Scanspeak 13M8621 Mid & Scanspeak D2905/9300 Hi. HD595 & Beyer 880 (600 ohm) cans.

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.
    -Bertrand Russel

John.

I'm Jason.

Thanks to everyone here who has replied alot of pros's and con's as I thought. I guess it's just down to taking the plunge or not, I would have to sell my deck to hear a 301 so I'm stuck there, its a shame we don't all live on the same street LOL. I will have to have a good think and do a bit more reading up, when the girlfriend is out as she say's I'm not getting rid of the gyro for that pile of junk women Ha Ha. Thanks again

I will keep you posted and any more advice would be great, I listen to mostly jazz

Cheers

Jason

I'm ChrisB.

If you place soundstaging highly then stick with your Michell & get another arm & cartridge.
    If bass is your thing then go for the Garrard.

My Gyro does me fine.

I'm Jason.

Hi Chris thanks, any recommendations for a arm cartridge. My arm/cart has had a rewire, the techno weight added, vta adjustment, decoupling kit, cartridge is a goldring elite. Cheers Jason

I'm ChrisB.

I'm not sure I'm qualified to comment on that really - I've always used mine with the same combination - a Zeta & Koetsu Black. I've used my Gyro since about 1992 - bought when they were still deeply frowned upon by many as being nothing poor sounding but rather 'pretty'. I compared it to the usual suspects at the time & for me it won hands down because of what it did rather than what it looked like. The Zeta goes a little way towards plumbing the depths of bass that the 301 is capable of.

John Michell had a bit of a thing for SME's and they do seem to mesh together pretty well. Plenty of folks get on well with the Rega based options like you have, though.

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Quote Originally Posted by jason View Post
    Thanks to everyone here who has replied alot of pros's and con's as I thought. I guess it's just down to taking the plunge or not, I would have to sell my deck to hear a 301 so I'm stuck there, its a shame we don't all live on the same street LOL. I will have to have a good think and do a bit more reading up, when the girlfriend is out as she say's I'm not getting rid of the gyro for that pile of junk women Ha Ha. Thanks again

I will keep you posted and any more advice would be great, I listen to mostly jazz

Cheers

Jason
    Jason,
    There will be one of our DIY get-togethers at the social club of Eggborough Power Station on the 6th Nov.Not sure what everyone is bringing,but there's a good chance there will be at least a 401.See the thread started by SPS (Steve) who is the nice man that sorts these do's out for us.It's a great day out,and you will probably get to hear a Garrard of some description at least!

I'm Blake.

If you want to stay with the Gyro and create the best of both worlds you might want to look at the synergy issue and partner it with an arm and cartridge that will give you something that approaches the bottom end performance of the Garrard while maintaining all the Gyro's strengths.

I'd suggest that this might do it for you:

A Jelco 750D (tweaked to get into the 25 gram range with effective mass) combined with a modified Denon 103R (either in an ebony body as in the photograph, or to keep the costs down an aluminum body) with either a Soundsmith line contact retip or perhaps the Expert Stylus paratrace.

Put this together with an excellent phono stage and I don't think you'll find much to be lacking.

I can attest to the fact that this is a great jazz table. Actually, it does pretty much everything well
    Attached Images Attached Images

I'm Clive.

My feeling is that using differing arms to change tonal balance is just coving up the main issue.

Jason, you need to decide whether your preference is for idler/rim, direct or belt drive. The 1st two have more in common than does belt drive with them. It's not just about tonal balance, it's about the way these different transmission methods deliver music. Which you prefer will depend on your priorities. You need to hear idler and DD, you already know what a good belt drive sounds like.
    TT 1 Trans-Fi Salvation with magnetic bearing + Trans-Fi Terminator T3Pro + London Reference
    TT 2 Garrard 301 with NWA main bearing + Audiomods Series Six 10.5" + Ortofon 2M Mono SE
    Digital Lindemann Bridge + Gustard R26 with LB external clock
    Pre and Power Amp EWA M40P + M40A
    Bass Amp & DSP Behringer iNuke NU3000DSP x 2
    Speakers 1 Bastanis Sagarmatha Duo with twin baffleless 15" bass drivers per side
    Speakers 2 MarkaudioSota Viotti Tower

I'm ILOB.

I think if you can get to the DIY event you will hear many good idler drives and this would allow you to make the best choice and totaloly agree with Clive you really do need to hear these different methods and go for what you perfer
    Loves anything from Pain of Salvation to Jeff Buckley to Django to Sarasate to Surinder Sandhu to Shawn Lane to Nick Drake to Rush to Beth Hart to Kate Bush to Rodrigo Y Gabriela to The Hellecasters to Dark Sanctury to Ben Harper to Karicus to Dream Theater to Zero Hour to Al DiMeola to Larry Carlton to Derek Trucks to Govt Mule to?

Humour: One of the few things worth taking seriously

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast