Closed Thread
Page 20 of 22 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 LastLast

Thread: The Mike New Technics bearing

synsei Guest

Birds of a feather stick together...

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

It continues:

BUT oh great and omnipotent one, he didn't do it, he thought about (according to you) and explored the possibility.
    The only reason that he didn't, was because he couldn't! That's irrelevant, though; it's the intent that counts.

The very fact that he tried to tamper with the construction of Mike's bearing, without his permission, samples of which had been supplied to him in good faith, and "explored the possibility" of 'improving' it (without consulting him first), copying the design and selling it behind Mike's back, shows the morals of a sewer rat.

So if people feel comfortable doing business with someone like that, then good luck to them. I certainly wouldn't, and judging by the correspondence I've received, so wouldn't plenty of others.

The very fact that you think Cawley's unscrupulous behaviour is justifiable, also throws into question your own morals, else why would you condone it?

Why don't you just admit it, this is your problem no one elses, it is your lunacy, just like you have done with others in the past, you get fixated, you attack and try to destroy them...
    You mean just like you're similarly 'fixated' with dealers, by constantly moaning on about their "slurping", and all the other 'same old, same old' pish that you churn out, again and again and again, which proves that you're one damaged, twisted old puppy?

Like I said, look in the mirror. The very behaviour you accuse me of above, you're equally as guilty of carrying out yourself, including threats of violence to people!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Most likely the problem in your mind has nothing to do with Mike New it is the fact that Dave used to crawl up your arse and supply you with free samples and new dem stuff, and then he withdrew it - how dare he...
    Ha - what complete and utter shite

That never happened ONCE, ask him yourself!! It's yet another figment of your fertile imagination. As for the rest of your drivel, it doesn't deserve being dignified with an answer.

I'll leave you now to enjoy the rest of the day (and the remainder of your life) as a bitter and twisted old man.

Over and out.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Meanwhile, chaps and chap-esses, Dave Cawley's forum is still down: http://www.time-step.net/

It seems to be taking a long time to "run a version upgrade". Mmm... Maybe he's decided to do the right thing and pull the plug?

Anyway, I've just received this message in private, which the sender would like put into the public domain, but remain anonymous:

Hi Marco. Earlier this year (2012) I evaluated three bearings in my SL1200. The standard Technics platter was used.

I removed the Mike New bearing and subsituted a Timestep bearing. The Timestep bearing was purchased from Cawley back in 2009 - as a point it was one of the first TS bearings -when I had an SME M2-9 installed on my Technics SL1200.

I now use an SME Series V.

Anyway I fitted the stock bearing. It was obvious that things were not right. The soundstage had collapsed and every LP played sounded like it was somewhat out of phase.

I then fitted the TS bearing and it was obviously not an improvement on the stock bearing; in fact in some ways it was worse as the platter then had a distinct wobble to it.

On fitting the MN bearing the quality of improvement to the sound was so great that it showed that the MN bearing is, indeed, a really exceptional upgrade for the SL1200s'.
    The above (in bold) doesn't surprise me... Marketing men/salesmen rarely make good engineers!

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Allthatwasisorwillbe.

Haha,what a throughly interesting read,more plot twists than an action packed thriller.

Keep it up,there's not much on tonight
    Darren

KORUS CUSTOM SERVER
    TECHNICS 1200 MKII_JELCO 750D_SHURE SC35C (with NOS and NEO SAS styli)
    CAIMAN SEG + DORADO PSU
    CROFT MEGA MICRO
    PARADIGM REFERENCE ACTIVE/40'S
    PARADIGM SERVO 15 SUBWOOFER X 2

''The theory of relativity is a mass of error and deceptive ideas violently opposed to the teachings of great men of science of the past and even to common sense''

Glad you enjoyed it, Darren. Where possible, we aim to entertain!

More seriously, as a Techy owner and customer of some of the more expensive tweaks available, what do you make of it all? The thing that gets me most is this: why hasn't Cawley, if he's innocent, defended himself and told his side of the story?

Mmm... I simply cannot believe that an innocent person would take all this flak and say absolutely nothing in their defence, and he has (had?) the public platform of his forum to use to stand up for himself, not to mention on Richard Dunn's site, where I'm sure that would've been welcomed with open arms!

It's all rather a mystery isn't it?

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Allthatwasisorwillbe.

Well marco,i think it is all very shameful really.I'm all for supporting the british industry and revelent people,as my sig shows,but i find it quite disgusting how some people seem to carry on.

Just before all this had come out and i was just starting on my 1200 journey,i had almost bought one of DC's bearings,as like you have stated,he portrayed himself as a 'guru' if you like and gave the impression that he was like someone like say,glen croft or stan beresford (albeit as a seller as well).

It was only when the issue with mike new came out and i guess him dealing with that,that i started to have second thoughts and let the situation develope,that i started to see a different type of person to the one portrayed.

The modified technics industry (if you can call it that!) is i assume fairly small and therefore to completly shoot yourself not only in your foot,but both knee caps aswell,is amazing!!

At the end of the day,i'll be supporting those with ethical practises (especially in these times) who offer real value for money and excellent products.I'm the sort of person who usually stays 'loyal' to a brand that offers said things!

DC will not be getting any money from me anytime soon!!

Just to add,for me ethics play a large role in all aspects of my life,someone of DC's ilk would not get on too well with me!!!
    Last edited by kininigin; 07-09-2012 at 14:58.
    Darren

KORUS CUSTOM SERVER
    TECHNICS 1200 MKII_JELCO 750D_SHURE SC35C (with NOS and NEO SAS styli)
    CAIMAN SEG + DORADO PSU
    CROFT MEGA MICRO
    PARADIGM REFERENCE ACTIVE/40'S
    PARADIGM SERVO 15 SUBWOOFER X 2

''The theory of relativity is a mass of error and deceptive ideas violently opposed to the teachings of great men of science of the past and even to common sense''

synsei Guest

To remind ourselves of this threads raisin d'etre, and particularly for those who are unaware of how this situation developed, it's worth reading the OP's original comment for further enlightenment and you will discover just why Dave Cawley is persona non grata.

It's also interesting to note that DC is describing himself as a 'guru' in his latest web promotions...

Linky please, so we can all laugh at it?

Btw, what's a raisin d'etre - are you studying the finer points of cake making?

Marco.

P.S Darren, we are at one in our assessment of Mr Cawley.
    Main System

synsei Guest

'Linky' as requested. I'm more a Sultana man meself...

Closed Thread
Page 20 of 22 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 LastLast