Closed Thread
Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: The Mike New Technics bearing

I'm Doug.

Default The Mike New Technics bearing

description is this for the Mike New bearing upgrade on auction by Dave Cawley. This is the bearing upgrade for Technics SL1200/1210's. See link.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

And how much more evasive can one get with answers like those given to two inquiries? "Some would say it is defective, others would not". WTF.

Dave Cawley knows its condition so why not be up front and say so? It is either defective or it isn't. The strong implication is that one will be taking a risk buying this bearing but my bet is that it is perfectly OK as are the others he plans to sell.

So why the deception? To prevent cannibalized sales of his own inferior bearing? To take a cheap shot at Mike New by implying his bearings are defective? Or is it that he simply could not make enough money selling Mike New bearing upgrades? And knows he can't manufacture to the same quality? Probably.
    Last edited by about2; 20-10-2010 at 02:17. Reason: correct type

I'm ChrisB.

Hi there, welcome to the Art of Sound.
    Could I please draw your attention to this post which describes the procedure that new members should follow on joining. We're not strict & bound by too many restrictive rules, but we do require a few simple things from new folks in order for the friendly atmosphere of the place to be maintained.

Thanks a lot & welcome once again.
    Cheers

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

If this bearing is won cheaply and proves to not be quite right, I'm sure Mike would sort it..
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Hi Dave,

Our new member above is spot on, although he must as Chris says, pop into the Welcome area and introduce himself properly to our community

There's BUGGER ALL wrong with Mike's bearing. You know me, Dave, and how particular I am about these things - do you honestly think I'd be using one if it was in any way defective?? Why would I deliberately hobble my own turntable?

Dave C is quite simply pissing in the wind to cover his own ass (in that he is unable to produce a high-quality bearing or platter himself after telling everyone that he could), and attempting to hoodwink his (small) band of merry men into believing that he is some sort of 'guru'.

I've suspected that he didn't deserve that title for some time, and recent revelations have simply served to confirm this. It's now time others woke up and smelled the coffee.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm ILOB.

I think this is really sad that Dave would do this
    Loves anything from Pain of Salvation to Jeff Buckley to Django to Sarasate to Surinder Sandhu to Shawn Lane to Nick Drake to Rush to Beth Hart to Kate Bush to Rodrigo Y Gabriela to The Hellecasters to Dark Sanctury to Ben Harper to Karicus to Dream Theater to Zero Hour to Al DiMeola to Larry Carlton to Derek Trucks to Govt Mule to?

Humour: One of the few things worth taking seriously

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

I suspect the final selling price will be a barometer as to the confidence in Mike's bearing - which may or may not be what Dave has intended, and he may or may not be surprised at the final price... At least a very deserving charity will get half of the proceeds, which is one positive out of this whole sorry (IMHO) episode.
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I'm colin.

What i cant get my head round is if there was a defect where is the problem in correcting it by a product recall or instructions sent to owners.
    I think this could all have been easily avoided.

I'm Darrell.

I think Dave C, may just have shot himself in the foot.
    Darrell.

Di Do Do Dat Doh Don't Di Doh..Di Do Doh..Don;t Di.

Location: Banbury, Oxfordshire/Panteg is where my late father was born

I'm Chris.

I would just like to point out ' why has the original op come on here with a new thread as his 1st post to stir things up a bit more '

We were all aware of Dave's auction ? i have been watching it myself , and no i don't care for the way he has conducted it ' but .....

Remember what i said about 'Troll's on the net ! .

This guy is clearly out to stir up the shite and have good laugh ' isn't it bloody obvious.
    Chris

We've gone on holiday by mistake !

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Hi Colin,

What i cant get my head round is if there was a defect where is the problem in correcting it by a product recall or instructions sent to owners.
    I think this could all have been easily avoided.
    That's quite simple. There was no need for a product recall because there was never anything wrong with the product!

The only "defect" was in the accuracy of the fable Dave Cawley has told people that Mike's bearings were 'seizing' in HOT climates (when we now know that physically cannot happen), and in his story that customers were returning those bearings to him.....

What he did was tell people that Mike's bearings for the SL-1200 were supposedly 'defective' in order to discredit him and protect his own interests, after they had fallen out when Mike resolutely refused to bow to Dave Cawley’s ridiculous and unreasonable demands (the profit margin he wanted, amongst other things) of their working relationship.

*That* was the real reason for their fallout, not any nonsense to do with Mike producing 'defective' bearings.

The MN bearings Dave C is currently selling on Ebay for 99p (or whatever) are not 'defective' - they are simply left over items of stock which Dave had and wants to get rid of now as their business relationship is terminated.

The hilarious thing is that Dave originally paid Mike $400 each for them, so Dave is now pissing his money down the drain...............!

To be honest, though, it's far more sad than funny because what Dave has done is utterly despicable

Like Alex correctly says though, at least a good charity will benefit. Bid high people, not only because the money is going to a good cause, but because you're buying one of the best made T/T bearings on the planet!

I kid you not.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast