+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Technics stock arm + upgrades or new tonearm... Any thoughts?

I'm Nick.

Default Technics stock arm + upgrades or new tonearm... Any thoughts?

Firstly, apologies if I am resurrecting a tired and/or controversial subject, but I'm looking for some experienced wisdom in this matter from those who know... Please feel free to point me in the direction of previous threads - I have Googled this & looked in Techiepedia but still not feeling much enlightened...
    So -
    First, I am aware that opinion is divided about the quality (or not) of the stock Technics arm. Of course its an obvious upgrade path, and one that I looked into a couple of years back. What put me off then was the fact that a) many people actually defended the quality of the stock arm, a long as it had some basic modifications (damping, re-wire etc) and b) I didn't want to lose the functionality of an arm I'm comfortable using e.g. ease of setting VTF, VHA, weight adjust, cartridge swops etc and all the good things that Techie arms do so well. In the end I went for a Cardas re-wire from Yannis Tome and swapped the headshell for a Sumiko+Litz wires. Quite happy with that, but not a massive difference in sound quality.
    Well, now, a couple of years down the line, I find myself looking at arm upgrades again - why? well, you know, the usual reason... got an audio itch I need to scratch...
    So I'm looking for some advice on the matter - those who have upgraded their arms, of whom I'm sure there are many, and those who have stuck with their stock arms. I would like to know I'm not hampering the music by my choice of arm, but I'm worried about swapping out the stock arm and then getting out of my depth with complex technical adjustments etc.
    Is there a quality arm that sits in the middle ground somewhere e.g. retains the ease-of-use but upgrades the sound? I'm thinking maybe of the Funk arm upgrade, which if I have understood correctly, works with the original Tech arm-mount/controls etc.
    Otherwise I was considering the SME 309. That's towards the top end of the budget!
    Alternatively, another path would be sticking with my re-wired stock arm, and maybe adding a KAB damper... anyone have an opinion on whether that's worthwhile or should I just be looking at replacing the stock arm if I want a significant upgrade in sound?
    (Should mention I am also looking at other upgrades e.g. Mike New bearing, Paul Hynes SR-5 PSU - as a side question, should I be considering those before even worrying about a better quality tonearm?)
    All thoughts and opinions welcome!
    Thanks - Selah!

I'm Robert.

Hi Nick, Your questions re: the arm are exactly the ones that I had and bugged me for a long time. Basically the stock arm is not terrible and good to a point, but to be honest and I speak from experience it is limited. I have the Mk5g which has the arm with the better wire through it and the better gold phono rca's. It sounded good, in fact with the KAB fluid damper and the superb Ortofon 2M black on board it has certainly sounded very nice indeed. I 've stuck with it now for over three years adding the Issonoe feet and the Mike New bearing as well as a very nice and meaty external psu. This is where it has become very clear to me that the weak links are the arm and the platter because that is what upgrades can do they can make things sound better but there comes a point when the number of good parts highlight weak areas. The stock arm is very light / thin (although it does have very good bearings) and if you tap it you can tell it is resonant. This imparts into the playback as colouration which isn't ideal. The stock arms weaknesses also limits the performance of better (for want of a better word) carts. It certainly isn't a universal arm that you find people sticking on other turntables as an upgrade like so many others. I tried to stick with the stock arm for the same reasons as you, the on the fly vta is brilliant and i so did not want to chuck it away which is the trade off when upgrading to a 'better' arm. Also it has sounded very nice indeed up to a point. As I say after adding a nice external psu on top of the Mike new bearing and other upgrades I could sense that the arm and platter had to go to really get there with the upgrade journey and truly get the best out of the Techie. I considered the Funk arm too but at over nearly £1K(overpriced) it really is a bridge too far and not worth it to keep the stock vta adjust. There are better arms and the Jelco 750 seems to be popular for not silly money although again you wont have the sweet on the fly vta. I've just got myself a vintage Micro Seiki arm which has on the fly vta of it's own. It's said to be a superb arm, from what I can tell holding it in my hands is that it is beautifully made and when I tap it there is no ringing at all which is seriously reassuring. The on the fly vta is nice but not as totally easy as the stock Techie one. I'm sure once i have the arm mounted I'll find the vta whilst playing a tune a lot easier to use rather than fiddling with it unmounted. I'm aslo in no doubt it is going to sound very good indeed over the stock arm.
    The platter rings like bell, end of. Tap it even in situe with your ear close by and listen, not good. I dont believe in trying to sort it out by damping with expensive mats etc. My advise would be to somehow try and find the funds for a Funk Platter or Mike New Composite platter. I've heard only very positive comments regarding both, no resonance just a dead thud when flicked hence no coloration issues.
    You seem fairly serious about upgrading your Techie properly and for me that just has to be the way to go. Others have done things differently for a number of reasons and thats cool. It's what you want that matters and unfortunately what we can afford. I can't afford any of it at the mo but I'm still going to go the full hog and do it properly no matter how long it takes because I know the reward will be a Techie that will sound awesome and out perform sonically decks costing plenty more.
    As far as external psu's go I'd say it is definately one of the key components as far as elevating the Techies performance properly, Paul Hynes seems to be the popular choice here because he really seems to know what he's doing. As a matter of fact, the serious upgrade path has to be, Arm, Mike New bearing, external psu and an upgrade platter as well as better feet like the Issonoes, I wouldn't sweat too much over mats just yet as the stock mat is fine although some say it just has to be the Achromat. I've tried loads of mats and always went back to the stock 3mm Techie mat. You'll have to suck it and see with mats, If you dont like then you just sell on. I never bought any mat that I wasn't able to sell on quickly.
    If you are serious about getting the best out of your Techie (it really does respond to upgrades) then you're in the right place. Check out the The Hottest Techy Topics can be found here! thread in Techiepedia for loads on Techie upgrades and all the best. It's gonna cost if you really want to go for it but remember to have fun, there'll be tears and joy along the way Love up !!
    Last edited by RobbieGong; 15-09-2012 at 22:27.

I'm Nick.

Hey thanks Robbie for your very helpful and informative answer... really appreciate it.
    Nice to know someone else out there has been having similar thoughts and asking similar questions...(also re: the FX-1200 thread I posted!)
    Didn't mention that I already have the Isonoe feet and a Herbie mat - the cheaper end of the upgrades, but its a very slippery slope...oops
    I had been looking at the Jelco 750 as a cheaper option, and have heard/read very good things about it. Do you know if the stock wiring it comes with is any good, or should I be looking at a re-wire? Guess I will get in the queue for a Shuggie collar too, if I go that route...
    Had the SME 309 in mind on the recommendation of a certain gentleman from Dartmouth whose name shall not be spoken here, I believe... but not in love with its looks, tho' I know thats not the bottom line...
    The upgrade path you recommend makes a lot of sense to me... looking forward to the journey!
    Thanks again - peace!

I'm Robert.

Hi Nick, No problem. I've not had experience of the Jelco 750 myself however from what I've read here it is a better arm than the stock Techie arm but obviously with loss of the mega easy / smooth vta adjust you and I both love. It's one of those compromises I guess

+ Reply to Thread