+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Info: BBC monitors 1960's

I'm Nat-andthat'swhyIdrink.

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    Looks like some false info floating about.

They are not Plessy 15'' unit they are Goodmans..those twin tweeters should be Celestion 'HF1300' the model is actually a very clever design..I'll leave you wondering but it involves the twin Tweeters in a way you wouldnt dream of.
    The links I gave (which contain the same info as Barry's links) are straight from the horse's mouth - the BBC's own technical archive. Plessys were used in the LS5/1, changed to Goodmans when turned into LS5/1A

The mention of the Plessys were before the photos of the actual speakers were posted up. All the Plessy info in the thread appears to be true and confirmed by BBC documents.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Gentlemen

Clearly none of you have looked at the links I gave in my post (no.5). For the LS5/1 and LS5/1A the following information is given in the BBC document ENG INF No. 43, from which I quote:
    I must admit I didn't read the info before posting my links from the BBC..

Quote Originally Posted by bocswn View Post
    Thank you all so much for the Info I have been struggling for a while now to get any info. One last question where should I put the units up for sale and how much are they worth??

Thanks
    Mark
    Ahhh.. All that effort to find you info just to help you sell them. . Not only that, but all the info you needed could be easily found with a couple of Google searches! ...And no other interest in the forum (or at least no other posts). Oh well, increased our knowledge too I spose.

Well, hard to say. I'd have thought, with the BBC monitor enthusiasm that they would have a high-ish value but it turns out, judging by Ebay sales in the past I've seen and bidded on, their value is in the £200 - £300 region.

I bid on a one-owner pair with collection only from essex coast (so within reach to the highest populated area in the UK) and I lost the auction, finishing at £255.

They just don't have the kudos of say the LS5/8 and LS5/9 I'm afraid and people aren't that into those Goodmans drivers. How they actually sound isn't greatly important, more their internet rep.

I'm Nobody.

Quote Originally Posted by nat8808 View Post
    The links I gave (which contain the same info as Barry's links) are straight from the horse's mouth - the BBC's own technical archive. Plessys were used in the LS5/1, changed to Goodmans when turned into LS5/1A

The mention of the Plessys were before the photos of the actual speakers were posted up. All the Plessy info in the thread appears to be true and confirmed by BBC documents.
    Hi Nat
    Appologies, i wasnt saying your data was wrong i was trying to say thats there's a lot of mislead information on the internet.appologies once again if you though i aimed it at anything you posted.

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

I'm wondering how good some of these old Goodmans speakers are (Magnums/magisters etc...). Vintage Celestions are becoming more noticed now and Goodmans Magnums were only ever used on the floor. Like Ditton 44's and KEF Concertos/Cadenzas, they may respond really well to being plonked on suitable stands...
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

Location: North Cambs UK, Earth, Sol, Orion - Cygnus arm of galaxy

I'm MadeOfDeadGiantStarsThatExplodedEonsAgo.

You speak for yourself or others Dave My Cadenzas where on stands to get the tweeter at ear level

No point in half doing a job
    Bests, Mark

"We must believe in free will. We have no choice" Isaac Bashevis Singer

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    Hi Nat
    Appologies, i wasnt saying your data was wrong i was trying to say thats there's a lot of mislead information on the internet.appologies once again if you though i aimed it at anything you posted.
    Thanks - none taken. I mis-understood your post - sorry about that.

Just wanted to say that this info seemed to be of the non-misleading type (of which, yes, there is a lot of out there).

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Hi Dave,

Vintage Celestions are becoming more noticed now...
    Oops...I wonder why?

Btw, the Dittons (and likely the whole of the rest of my system including Mana supports) will be demonstrated at Scalford Hall next year.

I would love you to make every effort to go, as it'd be cool to meet up at long last!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

nah, not the crummy Ditton 15's , but the real ones - 33's, 44's and the potentially wonderful 66's, this latter already fetching silly money.

Mr Malenfant, in the early to mid 70's, big KEF and Goodmans speakers were plonked on the floor with the tweeter firing into ones knees, the resulting noise making a post radiogram "nice rich tone..." It was Spendor with the BC1 trolley stands I think, that started the stand revolution, quickly adopted by other two cubic foot box makers. it took a little longer for the squat Celestions and KEF's to be used this way and in fact, it wasn't until the company I worked for bought in the Cadenza and Concerto run-outs in '78 or so that I got to set them up on stands. they were transformed and I fell in love with the Concerto all over again...
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Lol - so are you going to try and come to the show and hear how "crummy" they are?

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast