+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: iPhone, Flac? Yes!

I'm Nick.

Nick
    My system...

Follow AOS on Twitter: @AoS_Forum

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveW View Post
    EEJIT !!!

As an IT guy, we have a code for that - a PEBCAC error - Problem Exists Between Computer And Chair!
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

(The impolite version is UTFS Error - I'll leave you to work that one out, and no offence intended Steve, just having a bit of fun! )
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I'm Steve.

No worries Alex..
    What a dickhead though !!

Anyway...

This is really interesting.
    I (ok, it took a while to get there) managed to load up Raising Sand by Robert Plant and Alison Krauss ... each track as a Flac file. This worried me initially as I thought I was just going to get individual tracks showing up, but somehow the software has grouped it into an album, and displays it as such.

Now I've run though each track, comparing the Apple Lossless with Flac.
    Its night and day, with the Flac files being SO much better.
    It shouldn't be, but it is.
    The Apple lossless files are muddy in comparison, and the Flac files just make you want to listen longer and longer to the music playing, better defintion, instrument seperation etc etc

Top result.

But...what a bugger I only have 8 gigs.

I'm David.

Flactastic result!
    I'm gonna be getting some files on in a bit... I might even get a portable amp to go with my kick ass little ear buds ... I've been putting up with mp3 for long enough ... I accidentally deleted my aac's and couldn't be bothered to re compress my flac to acc again ... Now I don't have to ... Woo!
    CS Port TAT2 - Benz LPS - Funkfirm Houdini - DS Audio Vinyl Ionizer - CS Port C3EQ - Kondo G70 - Kondo Gakuoh II - Maxonic TW1100 MKII - Isol-8 SubStation Integra

I'm Steve.

G'zackly.
    I have been collecting loads of Flac files for ages now, because I knew I'd be going down the Linn DS route early next year...so now I'm thinking about a larger capacity ipod (I'm guessing the software is ipod touch, not classic).

On top of which, Linn have just announced the new Akurate range... which means a flood of (old)Akurate DS players on the market today at around £2,500+
    So that kind of decides me vs the Majik

Quote Originally Posted by Beechwoods View Post
    As far as I could tell you click on your device in iTunes, go to the Apps menu and scroll down to where it's got the list of applications that have file sharing enabled. Click on Flac Player, and you get a box to the right which has an 'Add' button at the bottom of it, which brings up a window where you can navigate to the folder / files you want to load up.

Somethng like that anyway, I did it without looking at the instructions because I figured it would work like AirSharing. Anyway, it loaded my files up happily enough and it works great! Top banana!
    Hi Beechwoods,
    Thanks for sharing this process. I had the FLAC Player loaded onto my iPhone and love the sound.

However, I experienced very frequent Audio Drop-Out while playing the FLAC files with the FLAC player on my iPhone.

Do you encounter audio drop-outs?

How can this be fixed? Anyone knows?

Regards,
    Brian

I'm Nick.

I have had certain files glitch on me. Have you got an iPhone 4 or 3G/s? It's the kind of thing that tends to get fixed in a future update though...
    Nick
    My system...

Mine is a iPhone 3G with iOS 4.0.1

I'm Nick.

Your 3G might be struggling to keep up with the processing speed required to decode FLAC on the fly. I only had a problem once and suspect it might have been some other process that was causing the problem.

If anyone out there is using FLAC Player a lot they may find Phone Disk useful: http://www.macroplant.com/phonedisk/ Phone Disk basically gives you direct access to pretty much everything on your phone, via Explorer or the Mac Finder, without jailbreaking it. Most usefully, it lets to see inside App directories, and directly load folders of files into FLAC Player.

Phone Disk is free until December, so it's worth checking out now

Oops! FLAC Player ignored files loaded via this direct route. A shame as it would have been extremely useful if it didn't
    Last edited by Beechwoods; 06-11-2010 at 08:50. Reason: FLAC Player ignored files transferring via this method! Doh!
    Nick
    My system...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast