+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Valve experiences (1976 to 1987) The golden years? Err no, not necessarily!

Yeah, very Italian !
    Hans

MBL 1531 -> Allnic L-4000 -> Audiolab 8000S used as power amp only -> Quad 2805. Cables: Transparent Ultra

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

LOL. Note how I said, "nice" wood - there is 'wood' and there is wood (nicely polished, beautiful graining, etc) such as the Rosewood finish on my Spendor SP100s

Some stuff is OTT, though, and yes Italian designs often come into that category!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Malcolm.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    LOL. Note how I said, "nice" wood - there is 'wood' and there is wood (nicely polished, beautiful graining, etc) such as the Rosewood finish on my Spendor SP100s

Some stuff is OTT, though, and yes Italian designs often come into that category!

Marco.
    Or very Bang & Olufson.....

The Chinese are using quite a lot of wood on their HiFi

I seem to remember when i first started in hifi in 1900 and frozen to death wood was obligatory... teak usually!
    Last edited by Complin; 13-07-2008 at 19:46.

1900 eh? You seem to be wearing quite well!

I hate teak.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Malcolm.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    1900 eh? You seem to be wearing quite well!

I hate teak.

Marco.
    Yes apart from the ear trumpet and the Zimmer frame.... not too bad at all. I think i'm about Howards vintage.

It's a good vintage, rather like that of a fine Claret.

I'll be adding more to this discussion tomorrow in terms of Howard's excellent observations

Marco.
    Main System

I'm gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Complin View Post
    Can you expalin what you mean by a bit lacking in REZ
    Lacking in resolution. Other valve amps I have had (and still own) do a better job in detail retrieval making the 509/II sound a bit vague and amorphous. It isn't the ultimate detail machine which means that the soundstage too is vague and ill-defined (relatively speaking). The overall presentation significantly fails to let through some of the excitement and pizzazz that is in the music.

Quote Originally Posted by Complin View Post
    I understand the 509's have quite a unique sound for a valve amplifier. Has all the impact, speed, dynamics and extended frequency range of valves whilst retaining the ephonics and ability to accomodate the high voltage swings of valves.
    Oh dear. I seem to have trodden on someone's toes here and insulted a near relative who they love dearly!

No kit is perfect, and imho where the EAR 509/II falls down is in some of the very areas that you mention as being its strong points!

Yes, 'impact' is pretty good and the bass is strong and fairly well defined.

I don't think the 509/II has a unique sound at all - ime it's a rather old fashioned valve amp sound. Perhaps I would call it the 'missing link' between the old fashioned soggy-bass, moderate rez mids and smoothed off treble of all too many early valve jobbies and the new generation of higher rez valve amps that can go face to face with the best solid state and beat them on 'musicality'. "A bit on the slow side, but sturdy" might be a decent summary of my view on the 509/II.

I have no idea where I would place your EAR V20 within the valve sound pantheon as I have no experience of it. It would certainly seem to be a totally different animal to the 509/II.

All the above are just my personal opinions based on fairly extensive experience of quite a few bits of kit.

I'm gone.

Quote Originally Posted by anthonyTD View Post
    hi jerry,
    i agree, thats why its so good to read that there are still some dealers out there who have some morals left! but as you say, they do seem to be very far and few between these days.
    anthony.
    Yep, in my time as a hifi buyer I've been lied to, financially swindled and (I am pretty certain) knowingly sold faulty goods - all by established dealers.

Definitely one of the reasons I rarely buy kit from a dealer these days.

I'm OneOfTheSevenModsWhoToldMarcoNotToLiftHarry'sBan.

Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post
    Yep, in my time as a hifi buyer I've been lied to, financially swindled and (I am pretty certain) knowingly sold faulty goods - all by established dealers.

Same here Jerry.

And all by the same person,who will be celebrating (next year) 30 years of ripping people off.
    ATB

David

Name and shame...

Marco.
    Main System

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast