+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Valve experiences (1976 to 1987) The golden years? Err no, not necessarily!

Superb Howard,

Most of which I agree with myself, I found ARC to be more cohesive across the board than CJ, though I did think CJ offered good value with their lower cost PV10/MV55, until Arc did the LS7/VT60 combo.

My preference was also with valve amps, ARC, EAR and Sonic Frontiers, into solid state power amps. (Arc into Krell was my preference)
    I still think I made a mistake selling my valve pre's and getting a solid state pre thinking synergy would prevail.
    I still use a Krell KRC 3, and though I think it is very good, I think I would prefer an old ARC LS22 (without the remote) or even better an EAR 912 valve pre.

Valve power amps just never got on with my speakers (Kef R107), saying that if I ever get the opportunity and have the finances I would again look at EAR amplification. I would like an EAR valve pre/power in the bedroom instead of the Classe, though again my choice of bedroom speaker (late Rogers Studio 1) seems to favour the dry tight nature of the Classe bass, I feel they are well matched.

I also liked the part about the home demo, dealers of such nature are few and far between.

Do you know how long the customer kept his Quad/Radford system?

I'm gone.

Yup, a fascinating read, Howard. Thanks for that.

I had a pair of EAR 509/II in the lovely copper finish. TBH I wasn't that impressed with the sound - a bit lacking in rez, I thought. Nice overall 'musicality' though.
    I had mine serviced by I can't remember who - and he said I was that close to being electrocuted as 1 of the set of many chassis screws was deliberately made shorter so as not to touch something live inside - and a previous chassis opener had not put the short screw back in the right hole.
    What a crazy design.

Oh, and I thought my ARC SP11/2 was fair-to-middling at best. Maybe the Mk1 was better?

So I should get a Radford STA25 to go with my Quad 57s, then? Hmmm.
    Currently using them with either a Krell KSA50 (mk1) or a pair of Chinese OTL monoblocks, all of which sound nice .... but (curiously & very surprisingly) not as nice as my John Bowers Active One speakers (which I have been 'reliably' informed go quack-quack-quack - although I can't hear that).

I'm ChrisB.

I have a Radford STA15, used it for years in my main system, driven by my ARC SP8 - it was pure magic.

I later used it in combination with a Levinson ML11. I had the Radford driving the mid & top & the ML11 driving the bass. That was sweet, but I missed the detail in the top end that the Levinson gave so the best configuration of all came with when I had the Mark Lev driving bass and treble & the Radford doing what it does best - that fabulous midrange.

I changed speakers for a bi instead of tri-wired model and lost the Radford to the 2nd system. One day, I'll get round to dragging it & the old tri-wired SD OBS speakers downstairs & do what was my ultimate aim at the time -My ML9 on the bass, ML11 on the treble and the Radford nestled between. I suspect it will make me seriously consider doing away with my current speakers & leaving it all in situ.

The Radfords are serious amps - no-one should underestimate them - least of all with Quads or LS3/5a's attached (well, the latter if decent mid-range with no bass is your thing, that is!).

I'm NotTakingLifeTooSeriouslyTheseDays.

well done howard,
    and very interesting, i remember doing a somewhat amusing comparison involving one of the big krell stereo power amps and a little single ended intergrated valve amp that i used to build. needless to say, the guy who owned the krell couldnt beleive what he was hearing when i hooked up the little 3 watt per channel amp to his kef refrence speakers, compared to the krell, the sound stage was huge, and the placement of instruments, and vividness of voices was amazing! needles to say, he gave up on solid state amps after that [about 10 years now] and now uses one of my copper amps.
    finaly i would just like to point out to those few who class all hi fi dealers as the spawn of satan, [you know who you are] in my opinion as long as there are guys like howard' in the trade people stand a real chance of going into a hi fi dealership and actually coming away with something that cuts the mustard...
    anthony...

I'm gone.

Quote Originally Posted by anthonyTD View Post
    finaly i would just like to point out to those few who class all hi fi dealers as the spawn of satan, [you know who you are] in my opinion as long as there are guys like howard' in the trade people stand a real chance of going into a hi fi dealership and actually coming away with something that cuts the mustard...
    anthony...
    Yep, but for every Good Guy like Howard, there's a whole passle of weasly barstewards out there who'd lie thru their teeth and happily sell their own Granny for a bit of profit. [you know who you are!]

But yes, there are quite a few Good Guys, too.

I'm Malcolm.

Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post
    I had a pair of EAR 509/II in the lovely copper finish. TBH I wasn't that impressed with the sound - a bit lacking in rez, I thought. Nice overall 'musicality' though.
    Can you expalin what you mean by a bit lacking in REZ
    I understand the 509's have quite a unique sound for a valve amplifier. Has all the impact, speed, dynamics and extended frequency range of valves whilst retaining the ephonics and ability to accomodate the high voltage swings of valves. Therefore a compromise for those who want their cake and eat it!!
    For me the typical valve sound i've experienced from many of the so called top of the range valves amps has been soggy bass and rolled off treble. A rather thick muddled sound in some respects. I think it really depends on the design and build quality of the amp itself. I have some very poor experiences with these Chinese imports, poor quality, finish and sound quality

So I should get a Radford STA25 to go with my Quad 57s, then? Hmmm.
    Currently using them with either a Krell KSA50 (mk1) or a pair of Chinese OTL monoblocks, all of which sound nice .... but (curiously & very surprisingly) not as nice as my John Bowers Active One speakers (which I have been 'reliably' informed go quack-quack-quack - although I can't hear that).
    I used to have a full Radford ST 25 many years ago and often regret selling it. I was seduced by Quad to move to their solid state offerings such as the Quad 303 and 405. The real benifit I found was a much lower noise floor. I thought if Quad are moving in this direction with their pedigree it must be the way to go.

So now i've taken the plunge back into valves and just bought an EAR V20 integrated. The V20 is slated by Tim D'P as a small integrated version of his 509's. I believe the 509's are in such demand in some markets that a special edition is available.
    Howards comments regarding Tim D'P are interesting as I beleive he does not come over as a shrinking violet!! Like many talented people in all spheres of life you either hit it off or not, a love or hate relationship. Tim is a firm proponent of valves right through the recording and replay chain and if you listen to some of the recordings made by companies who use his kit, he does have a point. Glorious absolutely glorious.
    Last edited by Complin; 13-07-2008 at 11:43.

I'm Malcolm.

Does anyone have any experience of the American Atma-Sphere valve amplifiers. They have been in business for about 30 years and produce and produced triode, class A, balanced OTL amplifiers
    http://www.atma-sphere.com/

Ive also recently come a across a very small Australian company hand building valve amps and preamps. Reputed to be excellent sound and value for money http://www.supratek.biz/

I'm NotTakingLifeTooSeriouslyTheseDays.

Yep, but for every Good Guy like Howard, there's a whole passle of weasly barstewards out there who'd lie thru their teeth and happily sell their own Granny for a bit of profit. [you know who you are!]

But yes, there are quite a few Good Guys, too.
    hi jerry,
    i agree, thats why its so good to read that there are still some dealers out there who have some morals left! but as you say, they do seem to be very far and few between these days.
    anthony.

Quote Originally Posted by Complin View Post

Ive also recently come a across a very small Australian company hand building valve amps and preamps. Reputed to be excellent sound and value for money http://www.supratek.biz/
    Yuk, more wood
    Hans

MBL 1531 -> Allnic L-4000 -> Audiolab 8000S used as power amp only -> Quad 2805. Cables: Transparent Ultra

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

You don't like wood, Hans? Nice wood on hi-fi is sexy

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast