+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Technics SL 1600/1700/1800

I'm drunk.

Default Technics SL 1600/1700/1800

I have been looking at the Technics SL 1600/1700/1800 turntables on the bay and these appear to offer a lot of turntable for reasonable money. For the small ammount of vinyl I have, it probably isnt worthwhile investing in a 1210, but one of these may be a viable alternative.

I believe the difference between these is auto/semi auto/manual operation, although the auto function can be "switched off". Is either of these preferable over the others, or is it a case of just trying to find the best one for a decent price?

I'm Tom.

I keep eyeing these decks up as well although I don't play vinyl that often and I already have an Akai DD that I don't use much already

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

The decks you mention have a stiffly sprung sub chassis in the form of the top plate being attached to the feet and the bottom "tray" containing motor and arm section suspended from springs attached around each foot. Isolation is better than the standard rubber "bells" on the previous range (1300/1400/1500/150 mk1) but the overall sonics are similar - big and beefy but maybe not the "grip" of the current quartz locked model.

Don't despair though, as the sound is really good, if a little "dark toned." If my 150 and memories of the numerous 1700's we sold are anything to go by, the Timestep/Herbies mat balances the bass up (the supplied heavy rubber mat works ok too, but with more bass than perhaps it should be). the arms are massier than the current ones and work perfectly with moving coil cartridges.

Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm drunk.

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

I sold loads of SL1700's (auto return) and the auto trip is very gentle - as good as a Dual IMO. These decks often were sold with Ultimo (now Dynavector) 20A's and 10X's, a great sound being achieved to me..

These decks are waking up on the used market now, so prices won't be the bargain £30 - £50 any more. They're still excellent buys at £100 though, although spares are no longer available.

P.S. Regarding spares, it's the 13/14/1500mk2 cueing devices which fail and although someone was looking into making a repair kit of some sort, I don't think this has materialised - it's a pain to strip out too. This doesn't apply to the decks above.

I'm gone.

I have a Techie SL1800 that I recently bought on eBay for £85.
    My rebodied Denon 103 works superbly in it, I honestly have not heard it seeming happier - I don't miss my old Techie SL1210 at all, in fact I think it sounds better than that ever did. It gives the best sound I have ever had from vinyl, imho.

My original plan was to down-size/-price/-sq my tt cos I didn't use it much and I was getting fed up with naff used LPs ... but my love of vinyl has been reinvigorated by going from a 1210 to a 1800, not diminished.

For me, the reduction in 'grip' that Dave mentions has increased the natural musical flow giving a more relaxed and natural result.

I really like my SL1700 that I picked up cheaply, I also think it sounds more musical than a stock SL1200 Mk2, but that may be mental illness on my part.

The auto return part is great for me as I often fall asleep while listening to my favorite albums.
    Phillip.

Records... the Vinyl Frontier. These are the voyages of the turntable Perspective. Its five-year mission: to explore strange new records, to seek out new artists and new sounds, to boldly go where no hyper elliptical diamond stylus has gone before!

Polk Audio SDA 1C + Yamaha C4 / M2 + Custom Made DIY Phono Stage + Pro-Ject Perspective + Pro-Ject Speed Box II + Benz Micro Ace = Magic.

I'm David.

The sprung suspension must help a bit over the rubber-footed examples..

The recommendation for the Herbies/Timestep mat definitely still stands though.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Indeed - that's why Isonoe feet (which are sprung) are an absolute must initial tweak for a stock SL-1200/1210

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

Is the PSU better sited in the 1600/1700/1800 (etc.) than the 1200/10 too? That may also explain some of the difference over the stock 1200/10?
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast