+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Audiolab 8000T: good for DXing?

I'm Nick.

Default Audiolab 8000T: good for DXing?

Hi all.

I've been thinking about this tuner recently and would love to try one out. My main reasons are:

- Great ergonomics - I'm fed up of push-button tuning and the rotary tuning dial on this looks gorgeous
    - Superior audio - I'm also a bit of an audiophile. So far the best tuner I've used for audio is a Yamaha T-85 but I'm guessing the Audiolab might be even better
    - Good specs. The specs for sensitivity & selectivity look very similar to the Yamaha tuners, if not slightly better
    - There's a socket labelled 'RDS/MPX OUTPUT'. Never seen this before and it means I should be able to hook it up to an external RDS decoder, very helpful for IDing stations.
    - They seem to be selling for reasonable prices on eBay at present

So in summary my dream tuner has audiophile sound, good DXing potential and superior ergonomics. The Audiolab looks like it might tick all those boxes.

I know Audiocellar who service these tuners should be a fairly easy drive from here too if I need to get one checked out.

So, worth getting or not?

Thanks in advance for any help on this.
    Nick
    Last edited by Nick_G; 03-10-2010 at 21:04.

I'm ChrisB.

I'd be going for something a bit older than that myself. You'll get a better performance from something from Japan from the '70's & you'll pay a lot less too.

Location: North Cambs UK, Earth, Sol, Orion - Cygnus arm of galaxy

I'm MadeOfDeadGiantStarsThatExplodedEonsAgo.

I haven't seen that said for a good while, lets just make sure we are on the same boat

When you say DXing do you mean long distance & possibly over the horizon radio reception? That's what DXTV is about & the same goes for amateur radio

If that's the case then you'll need good sensitivity as you say, good selectivity & adjacent channel rejection. The RDS might be handy but in all honesty i have no idea if European stations use it, could be handy though.

Get yourself a big yagi & rotator & you are in business Then just wait for the right conditions in the Troposphere

I might be a mile out, apologies if so.
    Bests, Mark

"We must believe in free will. We have no choice" Isaac Bashevis Singer

I'm David.

Default audiolab

Hi
    I have one of these and a few classic jap tuners,in my opinion the old ones are better,and the audiolab will definately fail as they all do.As far as I know there are now no spares available.A Sansui ,Sony or Pioneer from the golden age of analogue would be far betterin my opinion.I bought a Sony 700 es for a tenner from the second hand shop and I think that beats the Audiolab.
    Dave.
    Don't need any Tannoys - I've got the best. All cables supplied by pound shop or better.
    Cheatfinder General.

I'm Neil.

The Audiolab is a good tuner, a very good tuner but as has been mentioned there are potential major issues with them and sadly they sell for way too much imho.

I have one and it is good and I did imho pay a tad too much for it. There is an issue with one of the display bulbs should be easy enough to sort but the other issues are not going to be easy to sort if at all, assuming they ever materialise....I hope they don't. The Audiolab was a complicated design.

The nicest tuner I have got recently imho would be the Sony ST 6A a 7 gang tuner, or a Revox B760 or a Pioneer 9100 or 9500 mk2 (the Mk 1 is okay but the mk2 has the edge imho)

I personally think the Audiolab 8000T is a tad over-rated imho.

There is of course the safe tried and tested option of a Leak Troughline Mk2 or Stereo but you will need a very good aerial as in fairness so will they all to get the best from them.

There is also Accuphase but if one comes up anywhere and I see it, you will have a major fight on your hands........ as it is the last tuner type/make I am after.....no more tuners for me after I get an Accuphase. Just thought I should say.

Re DXing imho the Audiolab is not good enough the Revox B760 destroys it for sensitivity and selectivity with my Magnum Dynalab signal sleuth switched off (power off) the Revox still goes to full quieting and stereo; were all my other tuners pick up nothing.

Regards D S D L
    Regards Neil

I'm Dave.

I agree with the above comments. IMO the Audiolab is an OK tuner but not adequate for serious DX'ing. For that you do need a good 1970's tuner.

Soundwise, the 8000T is so, so. We always used one to sell re-furbed Troughlines back when the Audiolab was current.

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

of the new tuners available in the mid nineties, the 8000T was amongst the best. 1970's jap tuners were still being used by their original owners back then and few from the top tier came up as I remember.

I'm not going to mention the names of the better 70's Japanese models as this always pushes prices up..
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by DSJR View Post
    of the new tuners available in the mid nineties, the 8000T was amongst the best. 1970's jap tuners were still being used by their original owners back then and few from the top tier came up as I remember.

I'm not going to mention the names of the better 70's Japanese models as this always pushes prices up..

Tuner info network and HiFi World have already done the damage Dave.

Having got the Audiolab I must say I was a tad disappointed with it. Tuner info rate it very highly but I would not place it as high up the list as they have.

Regards D S D L
    Regards Neil

I'm Nick.

Thanks for all the replies guys.

Yes by DXing I do mean over-the-horizon reception, either tropospheric (high pressure) or ionospheric (Sporadic E). I have a Yagi above the roof here and I plan to have a rotator installed before next summer. And RDS can be very useful, particularly if you can get the PI code displayed.

@Dave Hewitt: I'm surprised that a Sony 700ES beat the Audiolab (I presume you mean sonically). I used to use a Sony ST-SA3ES and while it sounded good it wasn't as good as the Yamaha T-85 I currently use.

I've read about problems with the Audiolab but some people seem to put more emphasis on them than others. One potentially serious one I've heard about is the caps leaking and ruining the PCB so perhaps a service could end up being expensive.

@Dalek Supreme D L: I know you've used a Kenwood tuner (the KT-5020 I think). I've heard that the KT-7020 is even better so perhaps I should go for one of those? They are common on German eBay and go for peanuts. But would they sound as good as a proper high end device? I'm after something that sounds as good or better than my Yamaha T-85.

Regards,
    Nick

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick_G View Post
    Thanks for all the replies guys.

Yes by DXing I do mean over-the-horizon reception, either tropospheric (high pressure) or ionospheric (Sporadic E). I have a Yagi above the roof here and I plan to have a rotator installed before next summer. And RDS can be very useful, particularly if you can get the PI code displayed.

@Dave Hewitt: I'm surprised that a Sony 700ES beat the Audiolab (I presume you mean sonically). I used to use a Sony ST-SA3ES and while it sounded good it wasn't as good as the Yamaha T-85 I currently use.

I've read about problems with the Audiolab but some people seem to put more emphasis on them than others. One potentially serious one I've heard about is the caps leaking and ruining the PCB so perhaps a service could end up being expensive.

@Dalek Supreme D L: I know you've used a Kenwood tuner (the KT-5020 I think). I've heard that the KT-7020 is even better so perhaps I should go for one of those? They are common on German eBay and go for peanuts. But would they sound as good as a proper high end device? I'm after something that sounds as good or better than my Yamaha T-85.

Regards,
    Nick

Its the 6040 that gets the raves not the 7020. I think that the 5020 is not as good as the 3050 which I prefer.

Regards D S D L
    Regards Neil

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast