+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pure Sound A8000 cdp - Anyone had experience?

leo is offline Circuit Junkie & DIY Room Forum Leader

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Adder View Post
    Hi Leo.

Here is the thread... http://www.zerogain.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22539

what do you think?
    I've never been inside an A8000 but if its innards is this http://www.aqtw68.dsl.pipex.com/DSC_0358.JPG then I'm afraid it is basically MHZ with a few component changes
    Cheers,
    Leo

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Hi Leo,

Like I said, I have no experience of this particular CDP, but that would be like saying the Puresound A30 is the same as the Chinese Bewitch amp. They may look the same (and are born from the same 'genes') but I know that they sure as hell don't sound the same!

Or another example would be the Beresford DAC and its 'spiritual brother' from (I believe) China.... They are two very different animals.

If Guy has done the same with the MHZ by turning it into an 'A8000', as he did with the Bewitch and Puresound A30 amps, then I would expect the 'A8000' to be an entirely different specimen, sonically

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Hi Marco,

In some cases I agree what your saying but I know the MHZ cdp extremely well mate and know its limitations main one being its implementation .
    If the A8000 is the thing in the top picture maybe its best I stay away from this thread
    Cheers,
    Leo

I don't know, mate, but let's not judge things until the facts are revealed. I will ask Guy to comment

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Soon as MHZ was mentioned in the OP and they wanted an opinion I thought oh no I respect trade members on here so its best I keep away from these threads in the future tbh, I'll go back to the diy room
    Cheers,
    Leo

Nope, not at all. Your views are as valid as anyone else's - often more so when the discussion involves the 'innards' of kit!

It's simply that in these situations I value cold hard facts rather than assumptions or speculation.

Marco.
    Main System

Components obviously have some influence on sound but something like a pcb containing the design isn't something you can easily improve especially if the design is poor in the first place. The actual pcb layout in the picture above has not been modified, a few component changes is only going to slightly alter the flavour, it won't turn a bad design into a good one.
    You know your on a loosing battle when the layout is poor, the dac chip is compromised, the output stage isn't properly designed to be used with the type of dac chip, the psu's are badly laid out , the circuitry for the XO and digital lines is a mess etc etc . This is my experience with the MHZ.
    Of course the pics taken from ZG may not be the A8000 at all
    Cheers,
    Leo

Of course the pics taken from ZG may not be the A8000 at all...
    Indeed, which is why Guy has been summoned to confirm or deny it!

Marco.
    Main System

Well its just my opinion on the MHZ , I'm sure Guys is a different unit altogether
    Cheers,
    Leo

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

From the other forum/thread "I have spoken to Guy of Puresound. There are a number of CD players made in the same factory, but customers specify what goes in it (in Puresound case higher quality components) and the internals of the MHZ are not configured in the same way as the A8000. All I know is it sounds bloody good with the A30 and the service I have had from Puresound been superb!!"

I've highlighted the bit which could be important - no idea as I have not seen or heard either, just helping after reading through the other post, before Guy gets the chance to respond here.

I must say though that the original "misleading information" (being kind!) about the chip in the MHZ was quite appalling!
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast