+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Pure Sound A8000 cdp - Anyone had experience?

I'm Krasimir.

Default The Pure Sound A8000 is a very good CD player

I registered in this forum in December 2014 and the last post here is 04-10-2010 Anyway, I have the Pure Sound A8000. But I haven't listened to it for years - mainly because I switched over to the PC > USB Interface > DAC route. Furthermore, I do not have much experience with the Pure Sound A8000 because it was my second CD player. I have an Advance Acoustic transport in my first setup - that I use most often. However, I can assure you the Pure Sound A8000 is a very, very good player. These days, in spite of my preoccupation with PC as a source, I have been thinking about giving the A8000 a listen. After I do this, I will drop a couple of lines here.

P.S. Edit. After posting the above, now I remember! The designer of the A8000 is the same man who made a great looking amp, the Audio Innovations Alto. It played classical music very well but not, e.g., rock - I know this from times 20 years ago when I lived in Edinburgh for a year and used to pop in at the Richer Sounds store. Actually the designer is mentioned above, Guy Sergeant, a participant in the forum, I understand.
    Very interesting! Because I also suddenly remembered some minutes ago that in those years - when I used to listen to the A8000, this player did very well classical music but lacked the spark and bang for rock. So I placed the A8000 in a smaller room for more relaxed music.
    Last edited by Jankoff; 05-12-2015 at 14:06.
    Sources: Advance Acoustic MCD-403 & MDA-503, Pure Sound A-8000, HDD + old notebook + M2Tech Evo Power Supply + M2Tech Evo Clock High End Word-Clock-Generator + M2Tech HiFace Evo 24Bit/192kHz USB-Interface

Hi,
    I've just bought such a CD player and I need some help... anyone here, please?

Regards

Tomasz

I'm Grant.

tis a very old thread.. maybe if you state your issue someone might be able to help;
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

Hi,
    Well... the CD player is Pure Sound A-8000 and it sometimes refuses to open the drawer / recognize the disc. And then the remote control is not working so I'm not able to experiment with the upsampling and the functions that are not available on the faceplate

Regards

Tomasz

I'm Krasimir.

Pure Sound A-8000 is a fantastic player for classical music, produced by audio designer and experimenter Guy Sargeant. Frankly, the Pure Sound A-8000 is not good for hard rock and similar material - but someone might like its symphonic style even in these genres. What is remarkable, extraordinary, is how this guy managed to produce a CD player specifically for classical music. There must be some mystery in this - how you can achieve it. As far as I can remember, in the 1990s Guy Sargeant used to make some very strange but interesting looking amplifiers that also played classical music with relish, and not so much hard rock etc. I tried to find pictures of these amps in the Internet but couldn't. I would be grateful if someone here might show them here.
    As for the problem with opening and closing the drawer, etc., this must be easily repaired by any capable technician/engineer. I would have the Pure Sound A-8000 repaired and would keep it - it is a unique device in many respects, real hi-end, and was relatively expensive (~GBP 2500).
    Sources: Advance Acoustic MCD-403 & MDA-503, Pure Sound A-8000, HDD + old notebook + M2Tech Evo Power Supply + M2Tech Evo Clock High End Word-Clock-Generator + M2Tech HiFace Evo 24Bit/192kHz USB-Interface

I'm Krasimir.

Funny, minutes after the previous post I found the "classical music" amp. Its name is Audio Innovations Alto, here it is, read about it and marvel at it - https://www.google.com/search?q=Audi..._AUoAXoECAEQAw
    Pity it is not produced any more.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Jankoff View Post
    Funny, minutes after the previous post I found the "classical music" amp. Its name is Audio Innovations Alto, here it is, read about it and marvel at it - https://www.google.com/search?q=Audi..._AUoAXoECAEQAw
    Pity it is not produced any more.
    The link just provides a Google page of Audio Innovations equipment. Which item are we looking for?

I don't get the "classical music" amp term, who came up with that?
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    The link just provides a Google page of Audio Innovations equipment. Which item are we looking for?

Alto amplifier, one for sale here on eBay https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/125551048002?

I recall these coming out, very low power and even less power into low impedance loads IIRC. Had a bit of a cult following at the time but I don't know why, it was nothing special IMO.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Krasimir.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post

I have not listened to the amp - Audio Innovations Alto, as correctly mentioned by Macca here, but I have the Pure Sound A-8000 CD player and it does perform classical music magnificently. Hard rock and similar stuff - not so much. Clearly this device is a classical music CD player. This is what I hear with my ears. I have a neighbor who is a violinist in a high-class symphony orchestra and he confirms my finding. How the designer does this (make CD players and amps good for classical music) - I do not know. But to me - to my ears and brain, it is a fact.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234