+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Neurochrome Modulus 686 Monoblocks

I'm inthescottishmafia.

I didn’t really notice any to be honest. Guess Tom soak tests the boards before he sends them out.
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm Ken.

Thanks Ali.

I'm inthescottishmafia.

How are you getting on with them?
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Quote Originally Posted by Ali Tait View Post
    I didn’t really notice any to be honest. Guess Tom soak tests the boards before he sends them out.
    On further thought, I would caveat this by saying that I didn't get to use them on a regular basis as I now live with my partner, so only am only at my place infrequently (work gets in the way!) so it may well be I just didn't notice any changes in sound.

I love how they sound though, have no inclination to look for anything else as I have always done in the past. :-)

Hunter S Thompson

I'm Ken.

The Pass Labs Pre/686 Monos/ CT-1000 speakers is a cracking combination.
    Loving the sound, even at low'ish late night volume, when the missus has gone to bed!

With this set up, vocals are very natural and clean, good timber, I would say synth. bass is not quite as hard hitting as my Yamaha set up, but is better textured and detailed, I'm talking very small differences though, plenty of slam there when needed, the Amps stop/start the drivers on a dime, so no overhang.
    Overall its a very musical presentation, easy to listen to, I forget about the gear and get engrossed in the track, which is the way it should be.
    I think my amps smoothed out in the first few days, there was a hint of grain at the top end during my first session, which seems to have gone now.

I can't position the Amps under the speakers until I have made some suitable stands, so they are presently located at the side, connected by some 2m speaker leads I had to hand. I've got to prep the motorhome for this season, including fitting a new solar panel, but I'll get those stands built fairly soon, working on a cutting list right now.
    I'll drop some pictures in when done.

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Having tried various Tripath and Hypex modules in the past, it's interesting how much better the Neurochromes sound to me. Despite their excellent measured specs, I never really got on with them- something about their sound just didn't sit quite right with me. No such issues with the 686 though (or the 86 I had previously). I know it's a bit of a cliche, but they really are as close to a straight wire with gain as I've come across, and they let you know exactly what the rest of the system is doing- changes elsewhere are immediately apparent.

The only other amps I've heard that were equally as good on kit I'm familiar with (compared them to the 86 I had at an Owston) is Nick's P6100M monoblocks. Couldn't tell any difference between them.

Hunter S Thompson

I'm Ken.

I have to agree Ali, the only sound signature these Amps have, is carried over from other associated gear.
    The comparison you make with Nick's Amps is interesting, I have his MCj3 (entry level) Phono Stage and its the best I've owned.
    I love its robust full bodied sound and simple no frills approach.
    By the way, I got round to adding a tone arm rest for the Mission arm on my TT.
    I adapted the original Lenco GL75, with its adjustable height to fit.

The Black base is a knob off a set of drawers, I drilled and tapped it M8 to suit the locking/mounting collar on the Lenco rest and just glued this assembly to the plinth with epoxy. It means I don't accidently catch the arm and send it flying and it gives a good anchorage, to tie the arm down when transporting the deck.
    Last edited by Qwin; 18-04-2024 at 14:58.

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Nice job Ken, looks good.

Hunter S Thompson

I'm Kevin.

I am glad you are both enjoying them.
    I stopped looking for a power amp when I built my “dual mono” 686.
    It is all the amplifier I will ever need.
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm Martin.

Had a 686 here a few years back, absolutely perfect sound.

No different to my usual amp - Krell KSA50S - but when you think that the Krell would retail today for around ten grand, inflation adjusted... the Neurochrome has more power too. And isn't as big or as heavy.

If I had to get a new power amp I wouldn't think twice.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast