+ Reply to Thread

Thread: SMSL SU-1

I'm steve.

Default SMSL SU-1

I'm wondering if any forum members have bought the SMSL SU-1 DAC. I've seen a lot of very complimentary reviews and the in depth technical analysis on Audiosciencereview and its glowing appraisal on its technical performance and sound quality. My primary music source is a Bluesound Node 2i and I was wondering if there is anything to be gained by feeding it into the SU-1 over the onboard DAC in the Node 2i ?

I'm James.

I have been using the SMSL SU1 for a few months now and it does deliver the goods. Here is my full evaluation and write up. I think there are two parts if you keep going.....

https://theartofsound.net/forum/show...mblings/page90
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    I have been using the SMSL SU1 for a few months now and it does deliver the goods. Here is my full evaluation and write up. I think there are two parts if you keep going.....

https://theartofsound.net/forum/show...mblings/page90
    Thanks for the links, I've read through them, all seems pretty positive, don't have the ability to compare to vinyl as I sold my turntable and record collection a few years ago. Hoping the inclusion of the SU-1 will improve stereo image and localisation of vocalists and instruments in the soundstage, I have Q Acoustics M20 powered speakers currently.

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by steve-z View Post
    Thanks for the links, I've read through them, all seems pretty positive, don't have the ability to compare to vinyl as I sold my turntable and record collection a few years ago. Hoping the inclusion of the SU-1 will improve stereo image and localisation of vocalists and instruments in the soundstage, I have Q Acoustics M20 powered speakers currently.
    If you power the SU1 with a separate Linear PSU the soundstage gets bigger and instrument localisation is better. Imaging is also improved.

It does not really compare to vinyl but there again I have yet too hear any digital source that does. But the SU1 does not sound particularly "digital" so that is a good thing in my book.

The SMSL SU1 is very good indeed used with a CDP via coax.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Brian.

I'm listening to mine at the moment (bought on James' recommendation) and it's excellent. Amazon has this DAC at a reduced price at the moment with an easy return if you decide you don't want it.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/S-M-S-L-MQA.../ref=sr_1_1?cr
    Regards
    Brian

Sell your cleverness and buy bewilderment . (Rumi )

Korus Computer Audio music server
    JustBoom DAC . HRT Musicstreamer 2
    Amplifier : Sony TA FB740R
    Speakers : Tannoy 637
    Interconnects : MS Audio / Klotz MC5000 .
    Speaker cables : Western Electric 16AG

I'm Martyn.

Quote Originally Posted by brian2957 View Post
    I'm listening to mine at the moment (bought on James' recommendation) and it's excellent. Amazon has this DAC at a reduced price at the moment with an easy return if you decide you don't want it.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/S-M-S-L-MQA.../ref=sr_1_1?cr
    Thanks for posting that, I'd been sitting on the fence about trying one, but one is now en route (from Luton no less!)

Sent from my moto g32 using Tapatalk

I'm Brian.

No problem Martyn
    Regards
    Brian

Sell your cleverness and buy bewilderment . (Rumi )

Korus Computer Audio music server
    JustBoom DAC . HRT Musicstreamer 2
    Amplifier : Sony TA FB740R
    Speakers : Tannoy 637
    Interconnects : MS Audio / Klotz MC5000 .
    Speaker cables : Western Electric 16AG

I'm Allthatwasisorwillbe.

I have decided to give this dac a go, after only ever using Beresford dacs over the last 10 or so years. I'm running into a problem though. I'm running windows 8.1 pro and have downloaded the driver for the dac but can't for the life of me install it and it's driving me nuts!

Anyone else had issues regarding this? Did you solve them? Can anyone help me before i put it up for sale? Never had so much issue with what should be a simple plug and play item!
    Darren

KORUS CUSTOM SERVER
    TECHNICS 1200 MKII_JELCO 750D_SHURE SC35C (with NOS and NEO SAS styli)
    CAIMAN SEG + DORADO PSU
    CROFT MEGA MICRO
    PARADIGM REFERENCE ACTIVE/40'S
    PARADIGM SERVO 15 SUBWOOFER X 2

''The theory of relativity is a mass of error and deceptive ideas violently opposed to the teachings of great men of science of the past and even to common sense''

+ Reply to Thread