+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: wtd: a decent cd player under £500

I'm Rob.

Default wtd: a decent cd player under £500

I'm looking for a high quality cdp for my second system which has studio monitors, so reasonably warm sounding would be a plus. Mostly for playing classical music. I had a Marantz cd63 special edition which didn't do it for me at all so probably not Marantz. Just wondering if you folks can help me out! I'd be very interested in trying a valve cd player but assume those are quite expensive! Rob

I'm Robin.

Quote Originally Posted by Gramophonic View Post
    I'm looking for a high quality cdp for my second system which has studio monitors, so reasonably warm sounding would be a plus. Mostly for playing classical music. I had a Marantz cd63 special edition which didn't do it for me at all so probably not Marantz. Just wondering if you folks can help me out! I'd be very interested in trying a valve cd player but assume those are quite expensive! Rob

I have an Arcam CDs50 sacd player/streamer, as new if that would be of any interest.
    Regards
    Robin

Acoustic Solid Wood MPX, Ortofon Quintet Bronze
    Pathos Classic Remix Amp, dac
    Cyrus Signature phono stage
    Eversolo DMP-A6
    Cyrus CD i
    ART Stiletto 6V3. Loudspeakers

I'm Robin.

Regards
    Robin

Acoustic Solid Wood MPX, Ortofon Quintet Bronze
    Pathos Classic Remix Amp, dac
    Cyrus Signature phono stage
    Eversolo DMP-A6
    Cyrus CD i
    ART Stiletto 6V3. Loudspeakers

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Have a Creek CD60 (TDA1541 chips), let me know if it's of interest.
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm James.

I've a roksan.k3 cd player sat doing nothing, £500 plus postage
    novafidelity x40 music server/pre/dac, Arcam A39, roksan k3 power amp,Monitor Audio Monitor 50, Dali spektor 1, van damme interconnects and speaker cable, roskan k3 CD player

I'm Geoff.

If you fancy something a bit different, I have a Morgan Audio Deva Pro-9 spare - actually I have two of them.

As the name suggests - a rare CM9-Pro mech, TDA1543 DAC with a discrete output stage. Ridiculously oversized power supply.

Really warm, analogue sound. A few quirks but was working fine last time I used it. Well under your budget!

There's one on German ebay to give you an idea. You'll have to come and get it though (Oxfordshire).

I'm Phil.

ou might slip, you might slide, you might
    Stumble and fall by the road side
    But don't you ever let nobody drag your spirit down
    Remember you're walking up to heaven

Don't let nobody turn you around
    … Walk with the rich, walk with the poor
    Learn from everyone, that's what life is for
    And don't you let nobody drag your spirit down

Eric Bibb

I'm Rob.

Thanks guys. I've pm-ed a couple of you. That 2nd hand hifi link is interesting, expensive of course but there are some amazing high-end bits up there!

I'm Martin.

be wary of buying used CD players - I've bought a lot of them and they can last a few years or a few weeks.

I'm fine buying used amps or speakers but CD players I now only buy new for maximum longevity. Once they go wrong just the fault finding is a big job and not easy to find someone to take it on. It's rarely as simple as replacing the laser.

If I were you I'd go to a Richer Sounds and buy a new player. For a warmer sound look at EQ or room treatment (doesn't need to be ugly panels). Vast majority of players sound the same or very similar in any case - regardless of price.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    be wary of buying used CD players - I've bought a lot of them and they can last a few years or a few weeks.

I'm fine buying used amps or speakers but CD players I now only buy new for maximum longevity. Once they go wrong just the fault finding is a big job and not easy to find someone to take it on. It's rarely as simple as replacing the laser.

If I were you I'd go to a Richer Sounds and buy a new player. For a warmer sound look at EQ or room treatment (doesn't need to be ugly panels). Vast majority of players sound the same or very similar in any case - regardless of price.
    This is worth keeping in mind and is why I went here rather than Ebay or something like that! but that is a path I may go down. I must say EQ is one big advantage of computer audio, I use foobar 2000 which has a great EQ but I sell cds on discogs and between that and my own collection have a good 15000 cds, so it isn't always practical to have everything on the hd though I'm 5000 in to that project!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast