Quote Originally Posted by Ubi View Post
You have put a AT95 (various bodies) and a AT540 on a turntable and come to the conclusion that vinyl is inferior to CD?

May be a little premature to conclude this, especially in terms of vinyl replay being judged on rather lowly carts such as those. It may be more pertinent to maybe suggest that cd is better than your current vinyl replay system?

Your end of record distortion is due to alignment. All vinyl replay has inner or outer groove distortion. It cannot be avoided, but if it's audible, your setup is wrong. It may be worth also making sure your setup is correct before heading off to eBay for CDs.
The end of side distortion is only present with certain discs, some of my vinyl sounds fantastic, even with these so called budget carts (I wonder what makes a £1000 cart cost more to produce than a £100 cart?). My set up is a straight up 1210GR, so I don't see where along the signal path the set up can be wrong, though I'd be happy to know where if so. I use a Slee phono stage into the Suggie. In the end faffing about with a so called high end TT and a £1000 cart that could easily break (just like I did once in a hayfever induced accident on a £440 AT cart), is a luxury only a few can afford, seems rather pointless when you can bang an album in a high end CD player, which costs the same as a high end cart, yet isn't a 'consumable'. I still love playing vinyl, and have more of it than CD, and I like banging on a record, and not worrying about being too careful with the stylus (I don't mean reckless of course), but you know, can't be bothered with arm cueing and all that.