+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Broken stylus!

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonky View Post
    Thanks everyone. I do have an old (very old) HiFiNews test LP -but yet to use it with this combination; will do so later. I did raise the tail end of the arm 5mm or so and didn't like the sound and reverted to approx.8mm down. It rather enhance the bass so a little more experimentation is in order.
    Hi Richard,

You might find this thread useful, https://www.whatsbestforum.com/threa...ception.35324/

Note that table in post #2 in the thread as below, where s is the increase in height of the tonearm and ?2 is the resulting angle of SRA (assuming the stylus is correctly mounted in the first place.

s (mm) ?2 (deg)
    0.1 21.2
    0.2 22.5
    0.3 23.7

Conclusion: fraction of mm results in significant change in SRA. Note: slight over estimates

I have not checked the maths.

I believe the best method is to start with the head shell parallel to the record surface and then adjust the tonearm up or down a little at a time to get the best SQ.
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm Richard.

"I believe the best method is to start with the head shell parallel to the record surface and then adjust the tonearm up or down a little at a time to get the best SQ."

...or the arm being parallel(?)

Yes; I lack the necessary equipment to measure the SRA accurately (I still wonder about taking my Nikon , getting the lens very close, taking a pic and measuring the angles on my 5k monitor (Apple)).

Ortofon recommends the arm being parallel to a standard thickness(?) LP, so, as you suggest, I'll go back, start with that and see if the bass is tamed somewhat. I must admit I am impressed with the 2M Black (I assumed the AT MC cartridge would be slightly better - I was wrong!)

The maths is beyond me - I can't recall the last time I used Sin (but my wife has a 1st class hons in Maths, so I'll ask her).

I realise the maths won't alter, but is there any slight tinkering with the set-up depending on whether the arm is a unipivot (like mine) or a fixed-bearing one (SME?).

Thanks,

R
    My Gear:
    Source component/s:
    Cambridge CXC Cd player; Inspire Apollo deck + Roksan Nima arm + Ortofon 2M Black; Denon TU-580RD tuner; Logitech Squeezebox Touch. Rpi with Volumio. RME DAC.

Amplification: WD KEL84+ valve amp; Rega Brio, Quad 306 (DADA modded, - in reserve)). Trichord Dino2 & Dino+ PS;

Wiim mini, Wiim Pro, Wiim ProPlus streamers

Loudspeakers:
    Living Voice Auditorium IBX-R2.
    Q Acoustics 2010 in the 'study'.

Cables/stands: Chords; Van Dammes 4mm

Any other hi-fi bits:
    Apple MacMini Pro; Senn HD598, 467,
    Linear PSs for Rpi and DAC. Pure mains conditioning.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Yes, Adrian is right. Sadly some manufacturers quote a static compliance (usually US and UK manufacturers), whereas others (usually Japanese) quote the compliance at 100Hz.

What is needed is the compliance figure at around 10Hz. A good correction is to halve the figure quoted at DC, or to multiply the figure quoted at 100Hz by a factor of 1.5 to 2.0. If this is done the calculated resonance is around 7.5 to 8Hz. Still a trifle low, but it is a calculated value and in practice may not matter.

Similarly with the setting up of SRA, if you want to go to the trouble of measuring the angle of the cantilever with respect to the record surface, the true VTA will be roughly 2 to 3° lower.

As always use your ears to find the correct setting.
    Barry

I'm Richard.

Silly question...which is the more important to get right- the VTA or the SRA (I know they're interdependent)?

R
    My Gear:
    Source component/s:
    Cambridge CXC Cd player; Inspire Apollo deck + Roksan Nima arm + Ortofon 2M Black; Denon TU-580RD tuner; Logitech Squeezebox Touch. Rpi with Volumio. RME DAC.

Amplification: WD KEL84+ valve amp; Rega Brio, Quad 306 (DADA modded, - in reserve)). Trichord Dino2 & Dino+ PS;

Loudspeakers:

Any other hi-fi bits:

I'm openingabottleofwine.

SRA, but to measure and adjust it directly is very difficult.

As I said, do what you are already doing - adjust it by experimenting with the height of the tonearm pivot. Just trust your ears!

I must have set up about 30 cartridges, in about half a dozen arms in my system over the years, and once setup, I leave things be and don't worry about it further.
    Last edited by Barry; 22-02-2024 at 22:14. Reason: Punctuation
    Barry

I'm Richard.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post

As I said, do what you are already doing - adjust it by experimenting with the height of the tonearm pivot. Just trust your ears!

I must have set up about 30 cartridges, in about half a dozen arms in my system over the years, and once setup. I leave things be and don't worry about it further.
    Thanks Barry; understood.
    My Gear:
    Source component/s:

Loudspeakers:

Any other hi-fi bits:

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post

I must have set up about 30 cartridges, in about half a dozen arms in my system over the years, and once setup, I leave things be and don't worry about it further.

I do much the same. I select a few tracks that are very well known to me and listen carefully after each adjustment.

I use:-

Eva Cassidy - 'Fields of Gold' from the 7lp boxed set Nightbird, I listen for clear definition of each guitar and harmonics from the electric on and also listen out for Eva's breathiness and minimal sibilance.

Ravi Shankar - Portrait of Genius(Stereo) Track 1 - Tala Rasa Ranga, this has very good Tabla drumming, wood block, hand percussion and flute, and obviously sitar. If cartridge is set up right there is clear definition of the hollowness of the Tablas and hand hits, the block has a great sharpness and echo, and the flute is has lovely airiness without being harsh. The Sitar sit centre stage and takes a less prominent roll. The soundstage is quite wide with this.

Supertramp - 'Schools Out' from Crime of the Century, this has huge dynamics and is a good one to highlight bass and top end, if the harmonica at the start sounds thin thin or recessed then I know the cartridge is out, there is a repeated bass run and this is a two note repeat, but due to the extension in it if the cartridge is not right(arm too low at rear) then the clarity is lost and they appear to blend together.

Charlie Byrd - Taboo from Guitar Artistry of Charlie Byrd (a great album), this track is effectively laid down live in a venue, not sure where, there is great drumming with brushes and cowbell, also the ambience of the room should be heard due to its echo, near the start someone leaves and a door can be heard shutting to the left. Charlie Byrd uses various techniques but this has a load of harmonic plucking. The bass is played very sympathetically and is sometimes quite subdued, listen for the finger on the strings during its solo. If you can hear all clearly then the arm/cartridge will be set up well.

One word of caution, remember that all our systems and ears have good and not so good aspects, so just get it to sound as good as you can to your ears, and then enjoy.
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I'm Richard.

I'm using the whole of side 1 of Tracy Chapman's 1st LP -simply wonderful. I will see if I can dig-out the Supertramp's LP.

Thanks
    My Gear:
    Source component/s:

Loudspeakers:

Any other hi-fi bits:

I'm Geoff.

I've used records with serious dynamics in the past, I found them informative when setting up Decca cartridges as some tracks tended to reveal the tracking issues Deccas were known for. (much as loved Deccas, I no longer use them)
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonky View Post
    Silly question...which is the more important to get right- the VTA or the SRA (I know they're interdependent)?

R
    Hi

I was looking for a good explanation of it all and how to do it.

This from Ortofon is very good IMO and I learnt something about setting up anti-skating

https://youtu.be/Kr4Adsc0gFA?si=Hn1er73rojNqEV8F

This should help

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast