+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tannoy - RFC Crossovers - User reviews / feedback sought

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I'm Alfie.

Default Tannoy - RFC Crossovers - User reviews / feedback sought

Has anyone made the move from original crossovers to RFC external crossovers for their Tannoys and noticed an improvement in the upper mid / treble?

Like many, I ADORE the sound from my Monitor Gold 12" RS for the most part, but the upper mids and treble could be described as strident at times. Perhaps dry, fizzy are other words you could use.

I've tried all of the obvious things after much careful reading on the forums:

- Original crossovers serviced (by RFC)
    - Loosening of bolts
    - Toe in - every which way
    - Room treatments
    - Drivers checked (by RFC)
    - Smooth/warm amps tried - Quad 303, Sugden A21 Signature
    - Warmer sounding source (Sugden DAC or Croft RIAA with Nagaoka MP-500)
    - Treble roll-off & energy controls - This just loses detail but doesn't change the fatigue from the low treble / upper mid region.
    - Theoretically "warm" interconnects and speaker cables

I am attached to these speakers as they were my dads. They're in Cheviot cabinets and sound similar in infinite baffle or ported mode.

Paul at RFC has mentioned a smoothening of the treble is likely with his crossovers and I've seen some mention of that here - https://theartofsound.net/forum/show...080#post926080

Please can any other happy customers come forward and confirm the RFC crossovers had a positive effect on the sound I am a bit sensitive to?
    Last edited by beadlesabout; 31-01-2024 at 17:11.

+ Reply to Thread