+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: A very indepth analysis of the Shure M44-7 v M55E cartridges

I'm Andrew.

I've not done any listening Brian so I can't comment yet. The stylus I have was one that I recieved when I bought the M55E ages ago from eBay. I don't have a link, sorry. I think the stylus I have is the stock standard Shure stylus and not an after market replacement. Sorry can't help further.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Brian.

No problem Andrew. Thanks mate
    Regards
    Brian

Sell your cleverness and buy bewilderment . (Rumi )

Korus Computer Audio music server
    JustBoom DAC . HRT Musicstreamer 2
    Amplifier : Sony TA FB740R
    Speakers : Tannoy 637
    Interconnects : MS Audio / Klotz MC5000 .
    Speaker cables : Western Electric 16AG

I'm Andrew.

Shure Adventures Pt VIII - Focus - Not the prog band.

This experiment is fun. I've been digging through my collection of vinyl playing and finding stuff that I completely forgot that I owned. Playing stuff with gay abandon is all well and good but what am I actually testing and how does this form part of this long term experiment? Well let me try and explain. I've been lacking focus with respect to the design of this experiment and how I could describe or assess the sonic spectrum of the M44-7 and the M55E cartridges. I needed to re-educated myself with terms and basic knowledge with regards the frequency spectrum through the Hz range. So, I've been doing some reading today with respects to the basics of bass, treble and midrange. It's funny how much you forget. So this explains why I've been digging through my vinyl. I've been looking for reference records so that I could assess individual things like vocal treble, sub-terrain bass and all the various other aspects of the sonic spectrum. I've come to the conclusion that I'm going to break down the assessment of the bass, midrange and treble as various parts of this experiment, but that's ok with me as the experiment will be more rigourous and allows me to formulate a method of critical evaluation of any future cartridges which may or may not enter service in my systems.

I have come to realise that these early Shure carts are something very special and that Shure designed something rather special. I also have come to viewpoint that I really like the combo of the SME V-12 and a vintage MM cart even though this arm has been designed for far more venerable carts costing many thousands. I'm also really loving the EAR 834P MM clone phonostage and can confirm that I'm a tad smitten with the Shure / ECC83 valve combo. I will be experimenting with the bass aspect of the Shure M55E cartridge over the next few weeks and then I'll go into the various aspects of the Midrange and treble. I'm still putting together a reference list of material for bass assessment of the M55E. It's all fun and I'll still need to read around bass and the various types which can be found on vinyl recordings and how these impact on what you hear.

OK enough now, stay tuned...
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Brian.

Last I heard the M55E was on Lenco GL75 and I must admit I really enjoyed that combo. I really need to dig it out and try it on this Planar 3. I'm afraid, though, that I tend to listen to the bigger picture rather than dissecting the SQ like you Andrew.
    I don't have your analytical skills mate. I still read your posts on this with interest though
    Regards
    Brian

Sell your cleverness and buy bewilderment . (Rumi )

Korus Computer Audio music server
    JustBoom DAC . HRT Musicstreamer 2
    Amplifier : Sony TA FB740R
    Speakers : Tannoy 637
    Interconnects : MS Audio / Klotz MC5000 .
    Speaker cables : Western Electric 16AG

I'm Gordon.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post

My own take on the M44-7 range of cartridges was that they paint a broad big bold picture where as the V15, M55E, M72, M75, M91 were a bit more subtle and orientated at audio enthusiasts. I think it may be true to say the M44-7 was a DJ cartridge with a sound to match?
    Yep, you are spot on there James. I have two jukeboxes - a 1974 Rock-Ola 454 and a 1959 AMI J120, both fitted with M44-7s. Big and bold is how they sound (as they should). The M44-7 was standard fitment on the Rock-Ola, whilst the AMI would orginally have had a ceramic cartridge. The M44-7 is also particularly robust which it needs to be as jukebox tonearms are not the most refined. Having said that the Rock-Ola tracks well at 3 grams, although the suspension systems of both jukeboxes work exceptionally well at keeping the TT mechanism isolated.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456