+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: CD Sound vs Streaming

I'm Lawrence.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    I think you certainly did more than most with the yummies to get the best out of them, a very long term project for sure.
    I used to get the yummies when I was at university. Or was it the munchies...

I'm Ken.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Looks good that does Ken.
    Thanks Martin, when are we going to hear this TEAC transport then?

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Qwin View Post
    Thanks Martin, when are we going to hear this TEAC transport then?
    will bring it along - but it's just a transport. Might bring the Audiolab one too and we can see if they are different.

I hear them as different but not tried comparing back to back, as it were.

Steve Petch wants a go on a Krell so will bring one of those too.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Ken.

will bring it along - but it's just a transport. Might bring the Audiolab one too and we can see if they are different.

I hear them as different but not tried comparing back to back, as it were.

Steve Petch wants a go on a Krell so will bring one of those too.
    I'll bring my NuPrime Transport for a shoot out. But I've just converted it and my Eversolo Streaming DAC to BNC connectors for coax SPDIF, best improvement for my CD sound I've made.
    Could use Toslink I suppose, or maybe an adaptor?

You may want to look at upgrading your DAC Martin.

I'm Martin.

You may want to look at upgrading your DAC Martin.
    lol I've just 'downgraded' to the DAC in a 1989 Sony digital pre-amp

Topping E30 is one of the best DACs out there IMO - measures very well in every parameter, has an orange display, doesn't cost silly money.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Ken.

lol I've just 'downgraded' to the DAC in a 1989 Sony digital pre-amp

Topping E30 is one of the best DACs out there IMO - measures very well in every parameter, has an orange display, doesn't cost silly money.
    It measures well, if your happy with its tonality, when mated to the rest of your kit, that's all that matters.
    Spending £2k on a CD transport and £150 on the DAC just seems disproportionate.

If your using the standard wall wart that comes with it, you might want to change that, as it does measure badly and even audibly noisy on headphones, according to the review I read. Toppings own P50 or even a decent Phone charger improved things noticeably.

I had the Topping D90SE but with my gear it just didn't float my boat, nor did the PS Audio Stellar. My Okto DAC8 is very clean and dynamic, but not as organic as my Eversolo A6. These DAC's all measure well, but sound slightly different to one another, it comes down to preference and synergy with your system to a larger extent.

I'm Martin.

It measures well, if your happy with its tonality, when mated to the rest of your kit, that's all that matters.
    Spending £2k on a CD transport and £150 on the DAC just seems disproportionate.

If your using the standard wall wart that comes with it, you might want to change that, as it does measure badly and even audibly noisy on headphones, according to the review I read. Toppings own P50 or even a decent Phone charger improved things noticeably.

I had the Topping D90SE but with my gear it just didn't float my boat, nor did the PS Audio Stellar. My Okto DAC8 is very clean and dynamic, but not as organic as my Eversolo A6. These DAC's all measure well, but sound slightly different to one another, it comes down to preference and synergy with your system to a larger extent.
    It doesn't come supplied with any power supply, I use a spare mobile phone charger. No noise even with volume on max and ear next to the speaker. Don't use headphones, I don't like them.

Tonality? I used a filter which is flat through the audible bandwidth so any tonality is just coming from the recording - at least until it gets to the loudspeaker and room. I'd say the tonality change that imparts would swamp and minor FR variance from a DAC so not something I'd worry about.

I would have preferred to get a cheaper CD transport but the TEAC was the only one I could find that I liked the look of and that wasn't a slot loader.

Never thought price was any marker of sound quality with regards to DACs. It doesn't cost much to get them right. Nothing wrong with paying more to get a fancy case and that ofc. I got the Topping because I liked the look of it. Just coincidental that it was cheap.

I do also have a Soncoz DAC that cost me a monkey. Also bought for the looks - No difference in sound compared to the Topping.

Had a borrow of a few DACs with high price and a back story. Not exactly the same but still a struggle to hear a difference.

Stopped worrying about DACs after that.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Chris.

Yes,Lawrence. (A bit late!)
    Late Xmas/birthday present to myself.
    Watch out for MHDT Havana going soon.

The comment on DACs sounding similar……it ends up,like most things in hifi,…..to sublties. No huge differences just mi-nute ones.
    Still have all my CDs, as ‘hard copy’ in a way.
    Chris.

I'm James.

Hi James, I think we should just be happy when we find a version we like, regardless of the medium, it is after all, about the music, not the Tech.
    I had 4 different versions of Tubular Bells on vinyl, the original release was by far the best, anniversary and remastered just didn't cut it. I purchased 3 copies of the original, before I found a mint copy of it. Mint playback that is.
    Equipment wise, I've been reducing my box count and breaking my speaker set up down to smaller, more manageable chunks. The Yams were just too heavy for me to move, with arthritis setting in. I now have ATC 20 Pro II active monitors standing on a pair of BK 10" subs, much easier to move or transport to NEBO etc.

Mate of mine has just installed some ATC SCM 150 ASL in his new listening room.

15 inch bass drivers should kick some ass. I will find out soon.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Tony.

I still prefer CD replay over streaming no question, but against FBA its a long way off in terms of real performnace. Demonstrations are very easy. Although I appreciate that quite a few chaps still prefer a solid media beiong optical or dragging a rock around a piece of plastic. Thats a personal thing imho.
    Coherent Systems
    Real high end sound with musicality not hifi

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast