+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: CD Sound vs Streaming

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    I agree that poor USB implementation could be a reason for differences.

That assumes some basic level of control in the comparison - such as actually comparing the same mastering on CD and stream - which often hasn't even been considered, and so leads to an incorrect conclusion as to what is actually occurring.
    I also had a Chord Qutest that supposedly has very good USB implementation but it still sounded poor compared to even a basic dvd player used as a transport connected via coaxial. Obviously I was comparing cd's to the actual rip, imported directly into the Melco so the mastering was identical.

Melco even claim you need 'audiophile' hard drives. When I contacted them and I suggested I might upgrade the drive they had a fit and said they modify the drives firmware for a better sound, which is strange as they are, afaik the only company that claim these magical audio qualities from hard drives. Also an SSD was at the time a big fat no, as they are electrically noisy. Jump forward a couple of years and of course they sell SSD based units at huge price increases.

Another suggestion they have for streaming is do. It connect it to a 'gigabit' internet and the data stream must be 'slow' so 10/100 and not 1000.

I guess it's just not for me!

My System:

Turntable - Linn Sondek LP12, Kore, Lingo 4, Roksan NIMA, Lyra Delos Cartridge, Roksan HDC-03 arm lead, Trampolin 2 base, Tiger Paw Vulcan, Denon DCD-A110 Cd player, Tag Mclaren DAC20 Digital to Analogue Converter, SPM Interconnects, Nordost Red Dawn Leif Speaker cable, Spendor S3/5R2 Target R1 speaker Stands, Atacama ECO 60/40 hifi racks, Sennheiser HD565 Ovation headphones

I'm Martin.

hard drives affecting sound quality is moving into the absurd I agree.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Andrew.

If it were true I would have thought (not Naim bashing here) that they would have mentioned it before anyone else.

My System:

Turntable - Linn Sondek LP12, Kore, Lingo 4, Roksan NIMA, Lyra Delos Cartridge, Roksan HDC-03 arm lead, Trampolin 2 base, Tiger Paw Vulcan, Denon DCD-A110 Cd player, Tag Mclaren DAC20 Digital to Analogue Converter, SPM Interconnects, Nordost Red Dawn Leif Speaker cable, Spendor S3/5R2 Target R1 speaker Stands, Atacama ECO 60/40 hifi racks, Sennheiser HD565 Ovation headphones

I'm Rob.

If you stream Spotify do you notice quite a variation in SQ from track to track like you would with a CD or LP depending on quality/production/mastering etc etc.
    Buy Bose...And get your parking validated!.

https://youtu.be/ZCBe7-6rw4M

No Highs...No Lows....It Must Be Bose!

I'm Brady.

Quote Originally Posted by Puffin View Post
    If you stream Spotify do you notice quite a variation in SQ from track to track like you would with a CD or LP depending on quality/production/mastering etc etc.
    I do.
    The mastering (if it is actually that causing the difference..) is noticeable.
    ELO tracks have never sounded particularly good to me, and I have good few vinyl albums from them as well.
    They seem to sound flat, and given the instruments and amount of instruments some of their tracks have, I would have thought it would have a better range. Its enough for me to have to avoid them.
    Set at its highest streaming level, I've always found Spotify to do a pretty good job day to day.
    Easy integration too with Volumio.
    Interested to hear others' views on this.

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

I'm Rob.

Some sound absolutely stunning with detail, ambience and good depth of soundstage in spades....others not so great but still listenable, some are just not right.
    Buy Bose...And get your parking validated!.

https://youtu.be/ZCBe7-6rw4M

No Highs...No Lows....It Must Be Bose!

I'm Gary.

Hard agree.

Big believer in EVERYTHING making a difference,
    but this one sets off my Spidey-sense.

From experience... naa.

How the drive is powered, whether SSD or mechanical, makes a bigger difference.
    All about reducing electrical noise.
    Last edited by Gazjam; 10-03-2024 at 19:13.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Gazjam View Post
    Hard agree.

Big believer in EVERYTHING making a difference,
    but this one sets off my Spidey-sense.

From experience... naa.

How the drive is powered, whether SSD or mechanical, makes a bigger difference.
    All about reducing electrical noise.
    I avoid all of that by not introducing a computer in the first place

Just three boxes, never had a better sound in here.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Gary.

I avoid all of that by not introducing a computer in the first place

Just three boxes, never had a better sound in here.
    That'll work!
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm Ken.

I considered CEC, Project, Audio Note, basically the top loaders.
    The mechanism is so much simpler, so money can be spent where it counts.
    The Project top loading transport is very good, using the same transport and servo card as the Gryphon Ethos CD/DAC which costs a cool £32,500.
    The Audio Note, uses a modified Philips CD Pro2LF CD mechanism and transformer coupled output.

Unfortunately I didn't have any top shelf space to accommodate one of these, so went with a drawer mechanism and much saner price point.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast