+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: CD Sound vs Streaming

I'm Rob.

Default CD Sound vs Streaming

I have not played a CD for about 18 months as I have found streaming far more convenient with so much content available. My much modded Marantz 63 has a drawer problem and my old Cambridge Discmagic takes a bout a week to load a CD.

Trying to avoid Christmas and needing to tidy my man cave I saw my Pioneer DV717 (of which I have 2 - on one the SMPS PS has gone) and decided to plumb it in. Left on for about 5 hours to warm up. Dig Out to CA Dacmagic Upsampling Dac (same as from PC) The first thing that hit me was that I needed to turn my pre-amp down as it blasted out as it started to play. Second was that the bass was far far more pronounced than with streaming.

The Mids and HF were much as before. I didn't think that there would be such a difference.....any comments anyone?
    Buy Bose...And get your parking validated!.

https://youtu.be/ZCBe7-6rw4M

No Highs...No Lows....It Must Be Bose!

I'm Grant.

give it a few weeks and it will sound similaror it wont be good enough and youll be off buying a better spinner, then months down the line youll be back streaming
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Martin.

Same mastering?
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Rob.

I suppose these are not really in the same field/category given that streaming is via the internet.
    Buy Bose...And get your parking validated!.

https://youtu.be/ZCBe7-6rw4M

No Highs...No Lows....It Must Be Bose!

I'm Ian.

What streaming service do you use? Since using Qobuz I've not looked back. Like you I presumed listening to music via the internet couldn't be as good as CD but I think it is at least as good and of course the convenience and access to a huge selection of music is a big bonus. Still not quite as good as vinyl though

I'm Rob.

I stream (from local hard drives rather than the internet) and use CD. I like both of them. Both sound great. The main reason for choosing one option is the mood I'm in, whether I want to interact with a physical medium or just line up a playlist. Though sometimes I have a fancy to listen to a particular piece of music that I only have on one of the mediums.

I'm really glad I've kept my CD collection. They sound great via a decent system.
    Rob.