+ Reply to Thread

Thread: allo digione signature ? Worth upgrading to ?

I'm Terry.

Default allo digione signature ? Worth upgrading to ?

Hi Everyone

I'm thinking of changing my Raspberry pi setup, which is currently a pi 3+ and an Iqaudio hat to a allo digione signature board (if I can find one) and then feeding it to an external dac.
    Has anyone any experience with this allo digione signature? And if so what are you thoughts?
    Would it be a worthwhile 'upgrade' and if so any thoughts on a dac to pair it up with ?
    Thanks

Terry

I'm Stuart.

Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    Hi Everyone

I'm thinking of changing my Raspberry pi setup, which is currently a pi 3+ and an Iqaudio hat to a allo digione signature board (if I can find one) and then feeding it to an external dac.
    Has anyone any experience with this allo digione signature? And if so what are you thoughts?
    Would it be a worthwhile 'upgrade' and if so any thoughts on a dac to pair it up with ?
    Thanks

Terry
    This is my set up, although mine is a Pi4 with the Allo Digione Signature HAT.
    About a year ago, I put together another Pi4 streamer for a family member and ran it USB into my DAC (at the time a Schiit Modius, now a Rega DAC-R).
    I remember doing an A/B comparison between my existing streamer and the ‘new’ one (playing the same FLAC files) and as far as I can recall, I couldn’t hear any significant difference. Of course, this could have been down to my hearing!!
    For some reason, though, I’ve never wanted to get rid of my Allo Digione and still use it co-ax into my DAC.
    PSU is an Allo Nirvana.

I'm Terry.

Quote Originally Posted by MisterMoseley View Post
    This is my set up, although mine is a Pi4 with the Allo Digione Signature HAT.
    About a year ago, I put together another Pi4 streamer for a family member and ran it USB into my DAC (at the time a Schiit Modius, now a Rega DAC-R).
    I remember doing an A/B comparison between my existing streamer and the ‘new’ one (playing the same FLAC files) and as far as I can recall, I couldn’t hear any significant difference. Of course, this could have been down to my hearing!!
    For some reason, though, I’ve never wanted to get rid of my Allo Digione and still use it co-ax into my DAC.
    PSU is an Allo Nirvana.
    Thank you Mister Moseley for your reply
    So did the new rpi4 setup that you did have no hat at all ? And you run a cable from the USB from the rpi4 and then onto the dac ?
    Many Thanks

I'm Stuart.

Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    Thank you Mister Moseley for your reply
    So did the new rpi4 setup that you did have no hat at all ? And you run a cable from the USB from the rpi4 and then onto the dac ?
    Many Thanks
    Important to mention again that this was something I put together for a family member who just wanted a ‘simple’ streamer; playing FLACS from a USB pen drive.
    The Pi4 was connected by a standard USB cable (nothing fancy) straight into my DAC.
    Because I had both streamers in my possession for a couple of weeks (before last Xmas), I thought I’d do an A/B comparison. Playing the same FLAC files, albeit on different USB drives.
    This wasn’t any sort of measurable or scientific test but I remember thinkin,g ‘I’m struggling to hear a difference’.
    I was already aware of numerous forum comments regarding improvements to the USB connection on the Pi4, due to it no longer sharing with the ethernet port.
    Fair to say that my previous DAC (Schiit Modius) is regarded as having a good USB implementation.
    I currently have 2 Rpi4 streamers. My main unit with the Allo Digione Signature HAT; co-ax into my Rega DAC-R.
    My other streamer - in the 2nd system - is another Pi4, but this time, I’ve gone with an IQ Audio amplifier HAT (class D) which puts out a max 35 watts into passive speakers.
    Hope at least some of the above helps.

I'm Stuart.

And just to add that if I was starting all over again now, I’d probably go with a 2/4Gb Rpi4 with something like a Schiit Modi or even a Modius, via USB. That said, I’m aware just how many DACs there are available for up to (say) £300 and quite honestly, the choice is a bit overwhelming.
    The family member who has the RPi mentioned above has a Topping DAC (E30 I think) and is more than happy.
    Suggestions further up the DAC ‘tree’ will need some input from other forum members as I’m very much in sub-£500 territory.

I'm Terry.

Thank you so much for your input MisterMoseley, it's much appreciated.
    I'm thinking of going the digione route and then deciding on a dac that will pair well.
    Anyway thanks again!!

I'm Andrew.

I have used an Allo Digione Signature for quite some time as a player in my main system . It has only been replaced by a Logitech Transport which would be a £3000 + player if still available today and that is musically a little better but not much . Main reason for the change is the child in me the Transport has VU meters (yes I know before any mentions it they are software but the needles twitch) and I love that view .

So I would say yes give it a go the Signature is in my view a very good upgrade over the Digi One and well worth the extra outlay . Just remember for the Signature to sounds its best you need two PSU,s one for the clean side one for the dirty side . Easiest to use and one that sounds as good as some of the best LPSU units is the Allo Shanti which is what I used. As an aside I have the Allo Signature not doing anything and i was vaguely going to put it in another system PM me if you would be interested in it . It is already on a Raspberry Pi 4 and in the clear see through Allo plastic case so ready for and SD card and two PSU for you to use it .

I'm Chris.

I'm thinking of getting one of these . Can the normal allo digione be upgraded to signature with the additional clean board?
    Or are they completely different.
    Thanks

I'm stuart.

They are completely different
    Garrard 401, Jelco 750 with Shuggie, Ortofon 2M Black / ZYX Yatra 100, Project Phono RS with Sigma22 Linear PS, RPi3 + DigiOne + Linear PS, RPi3/1Tb SSD with PiCorePlayer + Linear PS, Perreaux Eloquence 250i 40th Anniversary with ES9038Pro DAC, DCG3 Pre-Amp, Neurochrome 8x2 Pre-Amp, Neurochrome 686 Power amp, Benchmark DAC2 HGC, Primare V25 CD player, Monitor Audio PL300, Sjostrom DCT03 DC Blocker.

I'm Chris.

Thanks

+ Reply to Thread