+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The great sounding TANDBERG!

The fun is that it has the character of a tube circuit!
    Despite being a fully-converted tube user I cannot help but think that this is not going to be a good thing. A Warm and woolly sounding ss amp that still has a little grain and sat-on dynamics is what I'm imagining here. I could be wrong of course.

Default warm & woolly

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Toy View Post
    Despite being a fully-converted tube user I cannot help but think that this is not going to be a good thing. A Warm and woolly sounding ss amp that still has a little grain and sat-on dynamics is what I'm imagining here. I could be wrong of course.
    Dear Steve

"Warm & Woolly" is NOT how I would describe a good tube amp. Such amps produce an "open" and widespaced sound and, having a large bandwidth, such tube amps perform best in the upper octaves without any harshness.

A difference when measuring is that a lot of "solid state" stuff show ever increasing distorsion when the frequency goes up. Tube amps (again the good ones) show a steady level of distortion even at frequencies over 100 kHz.

The mentioned A-18 power amp shows the same "character" as the latter. So a lot of users compare this with the "tube sound" it reminds them of.

John
    Music is an emotional experience. Without it, living would be a dull habit...

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

If I may say, John, that was a most succinct summary of the joys of thermionic sonic reproduction

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Well, well, well ........ a succinct thermionic summary.
    I already had a headache this morning. So thanks Marco.

John

I'm Rune.

Hi John!
    Exiting news I`d say!!
    Can I ask a little bit more about witch patent we are talking about? However,I have no problem atatched to it,if you dont want to,but this is a informative thing to know for all of us who are fond of Tandberg .
    Regards Rune

The patented circuit was used by Tandberg and Studer/Revox. They had a legal fight over it for some years.
    In principle it's a circuit with 4 transistors, kind of symmetrical, all transistors with local feed back so there's no need for overall feed back.
    We used it in several designs and perfected it a bit by adding CCS and current mirrors.

John

I'm Neil.

What an amazing collection of equipment this guy had/has? Its a real shame he didn't stick around, 7 posts is not much of a contribution but the photos he posted are very interesting to look at and as such are a big contribution.

I wasn't around at the time so was unable to welcome him to AOS.

The mysteries of why some come and go and others stay.....such is the life of a forum.

Regards D S D L
    Regards Neil

I'm ChrisB.

Quite some stack of stuff, eh? It's quite a collection, spanning the whole of Tandberg's history by the look of it.

I'm Ron.

Hello All.
    I have chance of a Tandberg Stereo Tr220,and Tl15 speaker`s,Record deck,
    and a cassette player for £20 should i go for it ?or give it a miss?

Thank`s in antisipation,
    Ron

I'm Nick.

Ron,

I was given a TR220 a while back, and they look nice, though very big for a music centre. The turntable is a spring suspended Dual. To be honest it's not remarkable - the turntable is quite noisy and the tape deck pretty basic. The TR220 was real budget fare for Tandberg. It's nowhere near the peak of their products; the 3014-A tape deck et al.

I gave my TR220 away... Due to it's size it's not even the kind of thing you can enjoy as a museum piece.

Sorry, but I wouldn't want you succumbing to the allure of the Tandberg brand for that particular model - like I did
    Nick
    My system...

Follow AOS on Twitter: @AoS_Forum

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast