+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 20 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: The day - today

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    ofc North Atlantic Treaty... I'm such a silly sausage. Bet you didn't know it's Dave Hill's birthday 78 candles in a Cup-a-Soup.
    I refer the honourable gentleman to post 107.
    Barry

I'm Steve.

I know that - I was pulling your leg

On this day in 1830 - The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints was formed.

A few years ago and for about 3 years I worked with an American bloke who was a Mormon. Nice enough fella, and always had interesting stories about his life in Utah. He was also a chain-smoking pisshead who, when not drinking strong lager, made do with strong black coffee.

He once took me round his temple when they had an open day, that was quite interesting - clearly there's money in them there Mormons. Bruce (that was his name) introduced me to a lot of folk there, who all regarded him with a sympathetic smile - obviously they all thought of him as a bit of a lost soul who might be persuaded to return to the flock - no chance.

View from the top of Chorley's Mormon Temple "Hey everybody, Bruce is back! Hide your beer!"
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Steve.

Also this day 1922, Preston North End and England football legend Sir Tom Finney was born. To supplement his meagre wages (English footballers' pay was capped at £20 per week until 1961) he did plumbing work, which earned him the nickname 'the Preston Plumber'.

Commemorative statue outside Deepdale, PNE's home ground.

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:

A/V:

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    I know that - I was pulling your leg

On this day in 1830 - The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints was formed.

A few years ago and for about 3 years I worked with an American bloke who was a Mormon. Nice enough fella, and always had interesting stories about his life in Utah. He was also a chain-smoking pisshead who, when not drinking strong lager, made do with strong black coffee.

He once took me round his temple when they had an open day, that was quite interesting - clearly there's money in them there Mormons. Bruce (that was his name) introduced me to a lot of folk there, who all regarded him with a sympathetic smile - obviously they all thought of him as a bit of a lost soul who might be persuaded to return to the flock - no chance.

View from the top of Chorley's Mormon Temple "Hey everybody, Bruce is back! Hide your beer!"
    I thought Mormons were supposed to eschew alcohol, tobacco and stimulants such as coffee?
    Barry

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    I thought Mormons were supposed to eschew alcohol, tobacco and stimulants such as coffee?
    You're quite right, no stimulants whatsoever. Not even tea. They could have hot chocolate, milk, soft drinks as long as they weren't caffeinated, so I'm guessing energy drinks are a no-no too.

Not that any of this concerned Bruce. His wife booted him out because of his habits. Most people we did work for didn't warm to him, he was quite aloof and never made eye contact. He was a little bit broken, but I liked him. Ultimately his lifestyle was getting in the way of work, so we had to part company. I have thought about seeking him out, but I'm worried about what I might find.

T'other system:

A/V:

Yes - it's a difficult one. I used to have a good friend, with which we shared a love of music, especially blues and jazz, and the frequent 'spliff' or two. Sadly he started to use cocaine and I didn't like what it was doing to him: he became less 'laid back' and far more animated and business-like to the point of being abrupt, verging on rudeness. He was also a moderately heavy drinker.
    He met a woman from a very well connected and wealthy family and he married her. Sadly the marriage didn't last long despite them having a child. I guess his wayward ways came out and it was something his wife would not put up with.
    The last I heard he was living in Scotland, though I wouldn't know how to find him; and if I did what I would find. Either he has smartened up his act, or has descended further.
    Perhaps it's best I don't find out.
    Barry

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Yes - it's a difficult one. I used to have a good friend, with which we shared a love of music, especially blues and jazz, and the frequent 'spliff' or two. Sadly he started to use cocaine and I didn't like what it was doing to him: he became less 'laid back' and far more animated and business-like to the point of being abrupt, verging on rudeness. He was also a moderately heavy drinker.
    He met a woman from a very well connected and wealthy family and he married her. Sadly the marriage didn't last long despite them having a child. I guess his wayward ways came out and it was something his wife would not put up with.
    The last I heard he was living in Scotland, though I wouldn't know how to find him; and if I did what I would find. Either he has smartened up his act, or has descended further.
    Perhaps it's best I don't find out.
    Yes, probably best to leave well alone. I think cocaine is just the worst, more so than even heroin. It pervades every part of society, and seems to have become a 'normal' part of daily life for people who were previously functioning perfectly well.

In my last years of going out to bars and clubs I could see it getting more and more commonplace. And I just can't be around these people - boring, intense, aggressive and unpredictable. And as you will have found with your friend, the transition from taking it occasionally to feel different, to taking it regularly to feel 'normal' can come about without warning, and with the user either not knowing or not caring.

I've seen it ruin so many people I'm glad I've managed to keep out of it's way.

T'other system:

A/V:

8 April 1904
    Britian and France signed a mutual recognition of each other's colonial interests (the Entente Cordiale), so ending a thousand years of enmity.

8 April 1925
    The Australian government and the British Colonial Office offered loans to enable Britons to emigrate to Australia.

8 April 1967
    Bare-foot Sandie Shaw won the Eurovision Song Contest for the UK with 'Puppet on a String'.

8 April 1986
    Clint Eastwood was elected mayor of Carmel in California.

Some birthdays today:

Steve Howe, guitarist, 77

Julian Lennon, musician, 61

Mark Blundell, former racing driver, 58

Patricia Arquette, actress, 56.
    Barry

I'm Steve.

8th April 1990, David Lynch's "Twin Peaks" premieres on ABC TV. I watched every single episode, and by the end of the series I still had no idea what was going on.

T'other system:

A/V:

That's the trouble with anything by David Lynch. I've seen a good deal of his output (mostly film), and can't get my head around any of it.
    Started to watch Twin Peaks, but gave up after half a dozen episodes. If there was a final denouement, I couldn't be bothered to wait and watch.
    Barry

+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 20 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast