+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Contact cleaner

I'm David.

Default Contact cleaner

Evening all. Not saying I was bored today but I spent twenty minutes cleaning the speaker cable connectors with contact cleaner, and did the same with the inside of the speaker terminals using a Qtip.
    It's made a noticable diffference to the sound. Anyone else tried this ?
    Mark Levinson 390S CD / Audiolab 6000 CD / Croft 25RS Special Preamp / Croft 7R mono Amps / Neat Ultimatum XLS Speakers

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Simply unplugging and remating the connectors can often make the same improvement.
    Barry

I'm Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by Stranraer View Post
    Evening all. Not saying I was bored today but I spent twenty minutes cleaning the speaker cable connectors with contact cleaner, and did the same with the inside of the speaker terminals using a Qtip.
    It's made a noticable diffference to the sound. Anyone else tried this ?
    Yup,
    I use Deoxit Gold on all my connections, noticable difference in sound with my gear.

Good hifi hygene, worth doing.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm David.

Quote Originally Posted by Gazjam View Post
    Yup,
    I use Deoxit Gold on all my connections, noticable difference in sound with my gear.

Good hifi hygene, worth doing.
    It'll be a pain in the backside getting round behind the hifi to get to the interconnects.
    Any thoughts on whether it would make a significant difference ?
    Mark Levinson 390S CD / Audiolab 6000 CD / Croft 25RS Special Preamp / Croft 7R mono Amps / Neat Ultimatum XLS Speakers

I'm Martin.

It'll be a pain in the backside getting round behind the hifi to get to the interconnects.
    Any thoughts on whether it would make a significant difference ?
    only if they're really soiled.

I cleaned mine a few years back now, never been done before. I was expecting plugs and sockets to be filthy. But there was not a trace of dirt on the cotton bud, not the slightest blemish.

Not sure I would bother if it's a major pain to access them.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm David.

Just what I wanted to hear, ta.
    Maybe a few more weeks of gloomy, cold weather will inspire me to try but I'd rather drink wine and play some tunes frankly.
    If it does improve things should I keep it to myself ?

In my case it is a total pain to pull out all the source gear, even to change connections, let alone to mess about with Q-tips. Fortunately all the sockets are gold plated, as are the pins of the plugs.
    Barry

I'm Steve.

Just what I wanted to hear, ta.
    Maybe a few more weeks of gloomy, cold weather will inspire me to try but I'd rather drink wine and play some tunes frankly.
    If it does improve things should I keep it to myself ?
    Not at all. If you hear an improvement then it's worthwhile. Then folk are free to try it for themselves. Or not. If you were trying to tell people a five thousand quid fuse would transform their listening that would be different.
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    Not at all. If you hear an improvement then it's worthwhile. Then folk are free to try it for themselves. Or not. If you were trying to tell people a five thousand quid fuse would transform their listening that would be different.
    But what if cleaning the end caps of the fuse and the corresponding contacts of the fuse holder made a difference?
    Barry

I'm Geoff.

Especially if the fuse polarity is correct .
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast