+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 'Static crackles' with my phono stage

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    If those Zerostat guns are not used correctly they will cause more harm than good.
    Use a carbon fibre record brush held in one hand with the other hand touching the metalwork of the turntable.

Another tip is to have a well watered pot plant near your turntable.
    I did read up on those Zerostat guns, and it seems no one can agree on how best to use them, so I think I'll pass. But the carbon fibre brushes sound like they would be worth a try.
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Kevin.

Overusing a brush will create static as it rubs against the surface.
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by CageyH View Post
    Overusing a brush will create static as it rubs against the surface.
    Not if you use a brush with carbon fibre bristles, and 'complete the circuit' with your free hand touching the metalwork of the turntable. Also the brush is only pressed lightly down on the record surface for one or two revolutions.

Avoid using felt mats: rubber mats full of carbon black are better.

Removing the record gently from the inner sleeve will also help, as does using 'anti-static' inner sleeves.
    Barry

I'm Steve.

Not if you use a brush with carbon fibre bristles, and 'complete the circuit' with your free hand touching the metalwork of the turntable. Also the brush is only pressed lightly down on the record surface for one or two revolutions.

Avoid using felt mats: rubber mats full of carbon black are better.

Removing the record gently from the inner sleeve will also help, as does using 'anti-static' inner sleeves.
    The turntable was supplied with no mat, and is intended to be used that way. And I've never felt inclined to use a mat - I'm sure the manufacturer knows more about this stuff than me.

Thinking about it, the issue is about as old as our new replacement carpet. Carbon fibre brush my next purchase then. Any to recommend, Any to avoid?

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:

A/V:

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

What is the platter made of?

The record brush I use is made by Decca, but I doubt if they are available anymore.
    Barry

I'm Steve.

What is the platter made of?

The record brush I use is made by Decca, but I doubt if they are available anymore.

This is the model. Spec says 'double billet aluminium platter'.

T'other system:

A/V:

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    The turntable was supplied with no mat, and is intended to be used that way. And I've never felt inclined to use a mat - I'm sure the manufacturer knows more about this stuff than me.

Thinking about it, the issue is about as old as our new replacement carpet. Carbon fibre brush my next purchase then. Any to recommend, Any to avoid?
    So I have two brushes, a Pro-Ject carbon fibre one and a simple velvet one like this. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Antistatic-...s%2C140&sr=8-3

I have virtually stopped using the carbon fibre brush as it was and does induce static into the records, if I clean with it and the move it to the spindle and let the metal part touch it you can hear the static discharge to earth.

A friend gave me the simple velvet brush and this removes dust very well and I find does not induce static.

An audiophile friend has a Zerostat recently purchased to replace the broken one he had from the 70's, personally I do not rate them much.

As Barry says ensuring that the TT is properly earthed and you or the record cleaner is earthed when you clean the record on the TT is important. I believe some platters can generate a static charge as they spin much like a Van De Graff generator, so very important that they are properly earthed. Might be worth having a chat with TT supplier or manufacturer to see if they are aware of any issues with static build up.
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm Steve.

The problem going away with a different phonostage and back again with your Project implies its the phonostage or connectivity thereof.

From what you more recently describe,
    I'd focus in on the earthing / recreate placement, cabling as far as possible etc that you had with the loaner one.

It sounds like the loaner phonostage could deal with it, whereas your Project can't. Question is why / how are they different?
    Can you close / eliminate the gap?
    System: Turntable : SP10 MKII slate plinth, Custom Ebony tonearm board, Arm : Fidelity Research FR64s, Cartridge : SPU Royal N. SUT : Lundahl 1:13. Phonostage : Icon Audio, Streaming RPi/Kali reclocker -> I2S -> DSP XO / Pre / 4 DAC's : WAF Najda, 5 Poweramps : 3 x EL84 SET's, 2 x D class amps on bass channels, Speakers : 5 way front loaded horn system: 2 X Tapped sub 15" LF drivers / 2 X Exponential mid bass 15" drivers / Tractrix 200Hz mid horns with JBL2482's, / Tractrix 550Hz upper wooden horns with factory refurb'd Vitavox S2's / Raal Lazy Ribbons as high frequency tweeters. Wires: good silver or good copper where best suited. DIY RCM.

Maker of tonearm boards, armpods, Tannoy GRF style speaker cabinets, horn speakers, counterweights and more.
    For more information about my creations and products please click below

http://fosworld.wixsite.com/magna-audio & on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/magna_audio/

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12