+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 'Static crackles' with my phono stage

I'm Steve.

Default 'Static crackles' with my phono stage

What might this be all about?

My current phono stage has for some time been responsible for a crackling sound coming through the speakers whenever I lift a record off the platter, sounds like static. Didn't really bother me much, and everything was otherwise ok.

A few weeks ago a fellow forum member lent me a spare phono stage that wasn't getting used. And very nice it is too, should be at about four or five times the value of mine. I never even noticed that the 'crackling' was no more using this phono stage.

Now I have swapped them back, reinstating mine (a ProJect Tube Box), and of course the crackling is back. Any clues? Is there an easy fix, or should I just live with it, as I have done for the last couple of years?

But being super-critical I also note that when using 'phono' (actually the stage going into 'tuner' input on my amp, there is a 'noise floor' audible when I turn the volume up with no record playing. Sounds like distant ocean waves. When I select CD there is no background noise, it is silent. Maybe I have just found the limitations of an otherwise excellent performer (for the money).
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Geoff.

Make sure plugs and sockets are a firm fit and give them a clean with a cotton bud lightly damped with meths (no taking sips mind ).
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Martin.

could be a dodgy valve.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Experiment with the earthing of the deck and tonearm. Try earthing the arm at the amplifier end rather than at the phonostage. No guarantee - but you have nothing to loose.

If it is 'static', how do you clean the record before playing?
    Barry

I'm Steve.

Static implies it sounds more like interference from outside rather than internal problem?

But..

Is it one channel or both?
    If one channel, try swapping the valves over.
    If still same then suspect other than valve.

Good practice to clean pins / socket with some switch cleaner spray on the pins.
    Socket is harder as too small for cotton bud.
    Usually works to apply to the pins of the valve and insert / remove a few times.

Other than this, if you are a DIY guy / can observe High Voltage electronic practises - one hand always behind your back / unplugged, caps discharged etc) -
    investigate the soldering on the wires to the socket (could be a dry joint).

Then investigate the signal path joints.

Valve stages / amps are fairly simple.
    Not that expensive to replace every passive component, once valves, transformers & connections are discounted.
    System: Turntable : SP10 MKII slate plinth, Custom Ebony tonearm board, Arm : Fidelity Research FR64s, Cartridge : SPU Royal N. SUT : Lundahl 1:13. Phonostage : Icon Audio, Streaming RPi/Kali reclocker -> I2S -> DSP XO / Pre / 4 DAC's : WAF Najda, 5 Poweramps : 3 x EL84 SET's, 2 x D class amps on bass channels, Speakers : 5 way front loaded horn system: 2 X Tapped sub 15" LF drivers / 2 X Exponential mid bass 15" drivers / Tractrix 200Hz mid horns with JBL2482's, / Tractrix 550Hz upper wooden horns with factory refurb'd Vitavox S2's / Raal Lazy Ribbons as high frequency tweeters. Wires: good silver or good copper where best suited. DIY RCM.

Maker of tonearm boards, armpods, Tannoy GRF style speaker cabinets, horn speakers, counterweights and more.
    For more information about my creations and products please click below

http://fosworld.wixsite.com/magna-audio & on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/magna_audio/

I'm Mike.

A clear case of a haunting, needs exorcism, contact a local priest.
    Current system 1210 GR. CDP - Meridian G08. Amp -Sugden A21I - Sig. Wharfedale Lintons.

I'm Steve.

Thanks for the suggestions guys, I will work my way through the ones that fall within the limits of my abilities

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:

A/V:

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    What might this be all about?

My current phono stage has for some time been responsible for a crackling sound coming through the speakers whenever I lift a record off the platter, sounds like static. Didn't really bother me much, and everything was otherwise ok.

A few weeks ago a fellow forum member lent me a spare phono stage that wasn't getting used. And very nice it is too, should be at about four or five times the value of mine. I never even noticed that the 'crackling' was no more using this phono stage.

Now I have swapped them back, reinstating mine (a ProJect Tube Box), and of course the crackling is back. Any clues? Is there an easy fix, or should I just live with it, as I have done for the last couple of years?

But being super-critical I also note that when using 'phono' (actually the stage going into 'tuner' input on my amp, there is a 'noise floor' audible when I turn the volume up with no record playing. Sounds like distant ocean waves. When I select CD there is no background noise, it is silent. Maybe I have just found the limitations of an otherwise excellent performer (for the money).
    Several thoughts, valve are susceptible to several things, microphonicsm RF and induced Electro Magnetic hum from EMF. 6922 valves are quite notorious for microphonics. this is basically caused by vibrations in the valve usually caused by loud air born vibration(music) most common in guitar amps, however as valves get older they can become more susceptible to this I believe.

The whooshing sound(ocean waves) you describe I have also experienced, I spent a great deal of time trying to completely eradicate this, swapping valves and checking earths, sometimes it would be worse than others, I went through the process of switching off and unplugging every other piece of equipment in the house in case it was and earth loop/feedback issue, whatever I tried I could not completely eradicate it.

However for the past 2 weeks I have been trying out various cables in my system to see if I can get an improvement in sound and presentation, yes I know that age old arguments is a cable is a cable, but I know from experience that different types of cables, material and construction, can cause tonal changes to a system and how music is presented. You may scoff but it is true.

Anyway back to your problem, as a result of cable swapping I came across two different issues, firstly when I put in a quite expensive cable I was trialing between the phono stage amp and the pre-amp, this caused a hum and you could see the speaker drivers moving at a 50hz frequency if you turned it up, swap the cables for some others and no issues. I came to the conclusion the cables are susceptible to induced mains pick up, I tried moving all mains leads as far away from then as possible but no joy, the cable works fine from pre-amp to power amp and no hum.

Next I wanted to use a very short Chord Anthem Reference cable from my phono stage to my pre-amp to do this I had to move my phono stag amp up 2 shelves, and re-route a load of other cables. The instant I switched on the original whooshing sound(ocean waves) was completely gone and I had a silent sound floor, this is quite import to get the best atoning experience from a system. The difference is quite significant and well worth the effort.

So my advice would be first mover the phono stage as far away from all other equipment and mains leads as you can, and see if the whooshing sound(ocean waves) goes or gets less, also try several different interconnects from other manufacturers and see if they improve matters, you want a good well shield one. As others have said check and play around with earths, and last of all try a pair of different valves.

Good luck.
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by AJSki2fly View Post
    Several thoughts, valve are susceptible to several things, microphonicsm RF and induced Electro Magnetic hum from EMF. 6922 valves are quite notorious for microphonics. this is basically caused by vibrations in the valve usually caused by loud air born vibration(music) most common in guitar amps, however as valves get older they can become more susceptible to this I believe.

The whooshing sound(ocean waves) you describe I have also experienced, I spent a great deal of time trying to completely eradicate this, swapping valves and checking earths, sometimes it would be worse than others, I went through the process of switching off and unplugging every other piece of equipment in the house in case it was and earth loop/feedback issue, whatever I tried I could not completely eradicate it.

However for the past 2 weeks I have been trying out various cables in my system to see if I can get an improvement in sound and presentation, yes I know that age old arguments is a cable is a cable, but I know from experience that different types of cables, material and construction, can cause tonal changes to a system and how music is presented. You may scoff but it is true.

Anyway back to your problem, as a result of cable swapping I came across two different issues, firstly when I put in a quite expensive cable I was trialing between the phono stage amp and the pre-amp, this caused a hum and you could see the speaker drivers moving at a 50hz frequency if you turned it up, swap the cables for some others and no issues. I came to the conclusion the cables are susceptible to induced mains pick up, I tried moving all mains leads as far away from then as possible but no joy, the cable works fine from pre-amp to power amp and no hum.

Next I wanted to use a very short Chord Anthem Reference cable from my phono stage to my pre-amp to do this I had to move my phono stag amp up 2 shelves, and re-route a load of other cables. The instant I switched on the original whooshing sound(ocean waves) was completely gone and I had a silent sound floor, this is quite import to get the best atoning experience from a system. The difference is quite significant and well worth the effort.

So my advice would be first mover the phono stage as far away from all other equipment and mains leads as you can, and see if the whooshing sound(ocean waves) goes or gets less, also try several different interconnects from other manufacturers and see if they improve matters, you want a good well shield one. As others have said check and play around with earths, and last of all try a pair of different valves.

Good luck.
    Thanks Adrian, a few things to think about there.

But the 'whooshing' sound I get (perfect description of the sound btw), is really very faint, and inaudible when volume is set at moderate levels. It's just that it is audible when I turn the volume to levels I wouldn't dare go to, compared to the CD input which is completely silent.

The issue that was really bothering me more was the static noise whenever I lift a record off the platter. It did occur to me earlier that it could possibly be from me and the carpet which was fitted earlier this year. And with that in mind I was wondering if one of those 'Zerostat' guns might be worth trying. Or even try handling with rubber gloves on! What do you think? Any experience with these anti-stat guns?

T'other system:

A/V:

I'm openingabottleofwine.

If those Zerostat guns are not used correctly they will cause more harm than good.
    Use a carbon fibre record brush held in one hand with the other hand touching the metalwork of the turntable.

Another tip is to have a well watered pot plant near your turntable.
    Barry

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast