+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Retro Equipment - What Are Your Thoughts?

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Bad idea? Good idea? Not enough of it? Too much already?
    Could be all crap for the plebs. Overpriced but built down to a price, made in China or from Chinese parts and obviously cashing in on the retro thing. On the other hand, it might all be marvellous!
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Could be all crap for the plebs. Overpriced but built down to a price, made in China or from Chinese parts and obviously cashing in on the retro thing. On the other hand, it might all be marvellous!
    comfy on that fence? In fairness I think the Chinese Wharfedales are pretty good.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm givingyouaprettygoodclue.

The article's opening statement that vintage gear is unreliable needs qualification. Depending on your definition of vintage, and being able to agree that normal servicing isn't the same as meaning something is unreliable, I've had numerous boxes over the years with no problem at all.

As to the change in cosmetic style, I see it as marketing to disguise the reality that true innovation in sound reproduction performance has slowed to the point where second hand vintage is as good as today's kit for a fraction of the price.

Pete

I'm Lawrence.

To be honest, much as I like vintage gear I'd be concerned about running a 70s amp on expensive speakers even if it's been serviced. Something that was in spec at the time of the service could quickly deteriorate and cause a catastrophic issue. But for a second system with vintage speakers (not big Tannoy DCs) I'd be fine with it

In my main system I'd happily run good vintage speakers with a modern but retro look amp like an Accuphase.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    you want a brand new integrated amp, all else being equal would you go for this

Or this?

Regarding styling: the Cambridge amp (preferably in black).

The NAD is out for me - its got bloody useless and distracting meters on it!

But I share your like for knobs, switches and buttons, and
    dislike of remotes. I have other cosmetic likes and dislikes - I dislike italic script anywhere on the fascia, nor do I like it when the size of the fascia is larger than the case behind it.

Fussy bugger aren't I?
    Barry

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Regarding styling: the Cambridge amp (preferably in black).

The NAD is out for me - its got bloody useless and distracting meters on it!

But I share your like for knobs, switches and buttons, and
    dislike of remotes. I have other cosmetic likes and dislikes - I dislike italic script anywhere on the fascia, nor do I like it when the size of the fascia is larger than the case behind it.

Fussy bugger aren't I?
    Not keen on the italics either but I picked those two as good examples of contemporary bland and contemporary retro.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence001 View Post
    To be honest, much as I like vintage gear I'd be concerned about running a 70s amp on expensive speakers even if it's been serviced. Something that was in spec at the time of the service could quickly deteriorate and cause a catastrophic issue. But for a second system with vintage speakers (not big Tannoy DCs) I'd be fine with it

In my main system I'd happily run good vintage speakers with a modern but retro look amp like an Accuphase.
    depends what 70s amp, the decent ones (i.e not the British stuff) would have speaker protection even back then.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Depends on which "British stuff" you mean. I would be happy with more or less anything from Radford, Quad or Leak.

Much of my audio gear is from the late '60s and early '70s.
    Barry

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Depends on which "British stuff" you mean. I would be happy with more or less anything from Radford, Quad or Leak.

Much of my audio gear is from the late '60s and early '70s.
    Fair point but probably the exception rather than the rule.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm James.

Personally I thought there wasn't any newly designed and built hifi gear that was really retro even though its styling maybe a nod to the past.

But then I thought of some of the JBL speakers and KLH speakers and some of the Japanese kit amplifiers like Sun Valley and I realised there are some truly great retro products that probably are not far off 1970s equipment?

https://wallofsound.ca/misc/news/sun...it-from-japan/

I also own a retro system (look below in signature) which matches its retro owner!. It sounds great, looks great and gives a glimpse of how gear sounded like way back when vinyl was king and competition was mad fierce.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast