+ Reply to Thread

Thread: SME 3009 Improved S2 - Increasing tracking force

I'm Andrew.

Default SME 3009 Improved S2 - Increasing tracking force

Hi, I need a little help. I'm runny a Ortofon SPU MONO on my Improve S2 3009. I've had a extra heavy counter weight made by Steve to balance out this SPU and this works a treat. I'm still using the original rider weight. My problem is that I can't get the SPU to tracke any heavier than 3.15g. Is there any way of increasing the tracking weight beyond the 3.15g. The SPU still works very well but ideally I prefer around the 4g suggested tracking limit, as stated by Ortofon. https://www.ortofon.com/spu-mono-p-608 I appreciated that the later 3009 were specifically tailored around the Shure carts with low tracking weights.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Set the tracking weight on the rider to be in line with the pivot, then using stylus scales move (i.e. screw) the counterbalance weight towards the pivot in small increments until you achieve 4g.
    Barry

I'm Andrew.

Thanks I’ll give this ago.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Andrew.

Barry, your method dosen't work. A 1p on top of the cartridge works fine!
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

If you ran out of travel with the main counterweight, then move the weight on the wayrod forward to achieve the tracking force you need.
    Barry

I'm Andrew.

Done that and no cigar. I've just plopped a 1p on top and achieved 4g of tracking weight, not the best looking solution but functional. Thanks for everything Barry.
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

A 1p coin weighs 3.5g, so your counterweight is providing about 2.5g too much counterbalance.
    How did you choose the mass of the new counterweight?

Are you able to achieve lateral balance (that is equal loading of the knife edge bearings)?
    Last edited by Barry; 28-11-2023 at 10:04. Reason: Addition
    Barry

+ Reply to Thread