+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: NEBO 14

I'm Gordon.

Got the Maggies out of storage (well, laid down behind the sofa in the music room where they've been for about 8 years )

Got the stands from the Maggie 2.5Rs fitted, set them up and listened to some music. Sounded a bit dark, so pulled the tweeter fuses - sounded just the same. Not good. Ran a REW frequency sweep...oh, dear dropping like a stone after 7kHz. Pulled the fuses again and ran another sweep, identical result. Checked the fuses, both OK. Put the fuse back in on the left speaker and ran a sweep just on that channel...just the same. Noticed that the fuse seemed a bit loose in the holder, so clamped it tight. Ran a sweep on that channel...Bingo! all OK. Did the same on the right channel...still dropping after 7kHz. Damn! Pulled the fuse and got out the Deoxit which I bought to clean the 15 silver plated contacts in the AMI jukebox pulse convertor (1959 high tech). Put the fuse back and ran a sweep on the right speaker...Bingo again! So, both fuses now "deoxited" and both speakers now good up to 16kHz which is as high as they ever went when they were new.

So, hopefully the old ladies will behave themselves on Saturday!

Deoxit is ridiculously expensive but in my experience it does work - definitely not foo!

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Halfway Tree View Post
    Got the Maggies out of storage (well, laid down behind the sofa in the music room where they've been for about 8 years )

Got the stands from the Maggie 2.5Rs fitted, set them up and listened to some music. Sounded a bit dark, so pulled the tweeter fuses - sounded just the same. Not good. Ran a REW frequency sweep...oh, dear dropping like a stone after 7kHz. Pulled the fuses again and ran another sweep, identical result. Checked the fuses, both OK. Put the fuse back in on the left speaker and ran a sweep just on that channel...just the same. Noticed that the fuse seemed a bit loose in the holder, so clamped it tight. Ran a sweep on that channel...Bingo! all OK. Did the same on the right channel...still dropping after 7kHz. Damn! Pulled the fuse and got out the Deoxit which I bought to clean the 15 silver plated contacts in the AMI jukebox pulse convertor (1959 high tech). Put the fuse back and ran a sweep on the right speaker...Bingo again! So, both fuses now "deoxited" and both speakers now good up to 16kHz which is as high as they ever went when they were new.

So, hopefully the old ladies will behave themselves on Saturday!

Deoxit is ridiculously expensive but in my experience it does work - definitely not foo!
    I can't wait to hear them. be great to see you again too Gordon.

I'm Steve.

See you there amigo's

I'm Geoff.

Have fun folks!
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Barrington.

Have a great one Peoples!

I'm Ken.

Well, that was a classic NEBO meet.
    Good turn out of folks and gear, the music was good and so was the crack.
    The venue turned out to be one of the best, good acoustics, nice size room for two set ups and the staff made us very welcome.
    Well done and thanks Steve for finding such a great place.
    Also thanks to Mike for supplying the Pizza.
    Nice to see some old faces and one or two new ones, I had a great day, thoroughly enjoyed it.
    I'm sure someone will be along soon with some pictures.

I'm Steve.

Yes indeed, a fantastic day. Can folks message me with their kit so i can jot something down. Thanks to all for coming and making it a special day.

I'm Martin.

I did take a handful of pictures:

These are Allchris V-200 brought along by Steve himself:

Lector CDP-7TL with valve output stage, brought along by Ali.

Moon Audio CD transport with modified Arcam DAC (belonging to Alan) into Mick's Pioneer monster receiver from 1976

Triangle speakers (I think Borea B8?) belonging to Gary. Liked these a lot probably because similar to what I use. Open sound but smooth and clean with it.

Rack of equipment brought along by Ken, including LDA phono stage, Nord power amp, Pass pre-amp and his turntable (not sure what that was, most of it I think built by himself). There was also a dinky CD transport which I can't recall the make. Plus an Eversolo streamer.

All three sources sounding excellent. Shown here running with some Canton CT1000 MK2 speakers.

In the background are some vintage Magneplanar speakers belonging to Gordon. Interesting panel speaker, if you've hear QUAD ESL with a subwoofer, that's what these sounded like to me. Probably the best speaker for stereo imaging we had there, if you were sat dead central anyway.

The Canton CT1000 were brought along by Mick and were something of an unexpected star of the show. Maybe not the most revealing speaker there, but just superb with blues, rock, funk. They had - as Ali put it - a 'meaty sound'.

Great meet at a very good venue, many thanks to Steve for organizing another top NEBO event.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Martin.

There was a black 4 way mains extension block with a fancy cable left behind.

Odds are it belongs to someone fairly local so we left it with the pub staff - if it's yours get in touch with them.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Ken.

My CD Transport was the NuPrime CDT8 Pro Martin.
    The TT is based on the Lenco L75 mechanism, with a Mission (original) 774 Arm and Van den Hul ONE special cartridge.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast