+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tannoy Cheviot

I'm Stuart.

Default Tannoy Cheviot

Afternoon everyone,
    I’m planning to have a look at, and listen to, a pair of Cheviots in the next week or so. I’m told they have HPD 315a drivers.
    Never having owned Tannoys before, is there anything I should particularly look out for (other than them potentially needing new foam surrounds)?
    I may or may not end up getting them but it seems sensible to go along with the benefit of as much prior info as I can gather.
    Oh, and they’d be on the end of a Croft Integrated if I were to get them.
    And they will most probably be taking the place of my Ditton 44s.
    Thanks

I'm Don.

Stick to the 44's...upgrade what you have. Tannoys HPDs are like Marmite...had them all, and not impressed!
    Listen first before you take the plunge!!!!

Sent from my LE2123 using Tapatalk

I'm Don.

Upgrade the valves in the Croft, redo the crossovers on the 44's ..Brian28 on Lenco Heaven can do that...Same as me, he has HPD 12's then 15's then decided to stay with crossover updated 44's. Lost all the tannoys
    Nuff said

Sent from my LE2123 using Tapatalk

I'm Stuart.

Thanks for your thoughts.
    I am not committed to anything at the moment and will be having a demo of the Tannoys, hopefully this week.
    I have no prior experience of Tannoys but they do seem to divide opinion somewhat.
    I guess it’s something I feel I need to do, just once, (hear them, that is), rather than be left continually wondering ‘what if’!
    Back to the 44s. Condition is close to A1 and the previous owner worked hard on the cabinets and told me he’d upgraded crossovers and wiring.
    I have no reason to doubt that they have been done to a good standard but my lack of technical expertise prevents me from taking them apart and seeing if there is any more that can be done.
    Last edited by MisterMoseley; 12-11-2023 at 16:31. Reason: added comments

I'm Martin.

There's only so far you can take a 44. They're not a bad speaker and have some charms, but I don't think they were anything near the best from that era.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Stuart.

Thanks for your thoughts, Martin
    I do like my 44s but I’m not sure that I’ve ever regarded them as my ‘forever’ speakers.
    After a couple of years of ownership, which I’ve enjoyed, the old ‘upgraditis’ has struck yet again.

I'm Michael.

Go for the Tannoys. I have had my Tannoys since 1975. They are the Chatsworth model with the HPD 315 drive unit. The cabinets have been rebuilt at Tannoys suggestion, and the crossovers have been rebuilt too.
    Will you be using your Croft integrated when you listen to them? This is important.
    It will be interesting to read what your thoughts are after listenin
    Last edited by mbic; 13-11-2023 at 08:02.

I'm Geoff.

I've owned a couple of pairs of Ditton 44s and over twenty pairs of various Tannoy dual concentrics. In my opinion, there are some less than wonderful Tannoys, but the good ones can be truly superb. I wouldn't say the same about the Celestions, which are OK, but don't have that pinpoint imaging and mid transparency that the Tannoys can offer.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Stuart.

Hi Michael.
    Many thanks for your thoughts.
    Sadly, I don’t think that I’m going to have the option of being able to use my Croft amp for a demo. I suppose that could possibly change if I decide to buy the Tannoys and request a second listen to reconfirm, but it’s not planned for the ‘first demo’ (a private seller’s home).
    Stuart

I'm Stuart.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    I've owned a couple of pairs of Ditton 44s and over twenty pairs of various Tannoy dual concentrics. In my opinion, there are some less than wonderful Tannoys, but the good ones can be truly superb. I wouldn't say the same about the Celestions, which are OK, but don't have that pinpoint imaging and mid transparency that the Tannoys can offer.
    Morning Geoff.
    I appreciate your thoughts.
    I’m looking forward to hearing the Tannoys, if only to rule them in/out as possibles.
    Stuart

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast